Found Deceased GA - Quinton Simon - Discovered Missing From Home By Non-Custodial Mom - Savannah #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TIMELINE UPDATED with info about MomLS's custody hearing for the other two children.

MOOs
I was definitely hoping for more of an update today, though I can respect if LE are holding off on filing charges or making an arrest until the issue of the other children's safety and care is resolved. Ensuring their safety should be everyone's top priority right now.
Thank you for your beyond excellent timeline/summary of the QS case. It’s a great thing to be able to catch up to what’s been going on when you’ve had to miss a day or two of posts to the thread.

Have to wonder if yesterday’s custody hearing with LS included bargaining. Perhaps the location of precious QS for custody options for BJH?

MOO
The courts removed the children from the grandma's care. The gma didn't ensure the safety and welfare of the children when they were in her care. She won't get another chance after one of the children was killed. jmo

They should be. She may be lucky to avoid being charged with negligence before all is said and done. JMO

As the custodian, she would be the respondent against whom the petition to remove is filed. It is against her that they make the finding of contrary to the welfare and reasonable efforts in the removal order (this language must be present in a removal order for the local district to tap into Federal funding, so it's uniform across the country.) The legal statute would be whatever GA law covers alleged neglect and/or abuse (and I'm comfortable saying that because it is obviously not a Foster Care placement for kids adjudicated as JD or PINS.)

I don't think that you will see criminal action against the grandmother unless she had a role in the events that led to the child's death/disappearance. I'm pretty certain she will, however, be required to jump through a major number of hoops before she regains custody of the other little boy.

MOO because I don't have time to look through these links to pull out the pertinent info.

As the custodian, she would be the respondent against whom the petition to remove is filed. It is against her that they make the finding of contrary to the welfare and reasonable efforts in the removal order (this language must be present in a removal order for the local district to tap into Federal funding, so it's uniform across the country.) The legal statute would be whatever GA law covers alleged neglect and/or abuse (and I'm comfortable saying that because it is obviously not a Foster Care placement for kids adjudicated as JD or PINS.)

I don't think that you will see criminal action against the grandmother unless she had a role in the events that led to the child's death/disappearance. I'm pretty certain she will, however, be required to jump through a major number of hoops before she regains custody of the other little boy.

MOO because I don't have time to look through these links to pull out the pertinent info.
The system failed if either the mom or gma ever regains custody.

Have to wonder if yesterday’s custody hearing with LS included bargaining. Perhaps the location of precious QS for custody options for BJH?

MOO
I am pretty sure the courts would not barter the safety of a live child for the location of a dead child. The custody hearing was just to attempt to ensure that another child does not wind up missing or dead, from that home. JMO

Reunification of families is always the primary goal, so no, it won't have failed if either one regains custody.

That doesn't mean either one of these people will engage in the services they need to become better people/parents, but it's always the goal. Despite common belief, CPS/DCFS does not exist for the sole purpose of breaking up families; we are there to protect children while their parent/caregiver gets their lives together and receives treatment/education necessary to adequately parent the child. If the person doesn't follow through with the things they're court-ordered to do, then the agencies start looking for a different permanency resource for the child.

We (CPS/DCFS) don't want people's kids. We want people to be responsible and take care of their kids if they're going to have them. Maybe we need to teach people what their parents and society failed to teach, or maybe we need to help them resolve the bad decisions they made so they have a chance to be that good, responsible parent -- taking kids from their families and farming them out to people (no matter how fabulous they claim to be) is never something we want to see happen and is always a last resort.

The courts removed the children from the grandma's care. The gma didn't ensure the safety and welfare of the children when they were in her care. She won't get another chance after one of the children was killed. jmo
I am aware of the children being removed from the so called care of BJH, but still think a bargaining could have taken place. Even within the family, they could have pressured LS to speak. They must feel a desperation for regaining custody, having lost one child, and the remaining two in another fashion. That being said, I fear there are no good answers within this family for nurturing a child.

Reunification of families is always the primary goal, so no, it won't have failed if either one regains custody.

That doesn't mean either one of these people will engage in the services they need to become better people/parents, but it's always the goal. Despite common belief, CPS/DCFS does not exist for the sole purpose of breaking up families; we are there to protect children while their parent/caregiver gets their lives together and receives treatment/education necessary to adequately parent the child. If the person doesn't follow through with the things they're court-ordered to do, then the agencies start looking for a different permanency resource for the child.

We (CPS/DCFS) don't want people's kids. We want people to be responsible and take care of their kids if they're going to have them. Maybe we need to teach people what their parents and society failed to teach, or maybe we need to help them resolve the bad decisions they made so they have a chance to be that good, responsible parent -- taking kids from their families and farming them out to people (no matter how fabulous they claim to be) is never something we want to see happen and is always a last resort.

I don't agree with the vilification that CPS often experiences, and I do understand that reunification is always the goal. But in this particular case I respectfully disagree that returning the remaining children to either their mother or grandmother would not be a failure. Both the mother and grandmother have proven that they cannot adequately protect the children in their care, and they should not longer be considered viable candidates for guardianship of these children, IMO. I think in this case reuniting the children with the grandmother (assuming mother will be in prison) may meet the goal of reunification, but I believe it will have fallen short of the goal of protecting children.

I agree with the caveat of unless G'ma believed that QS would be in the care of StepG'PA and/or babysitter the whole time. In that case, she had provided for responsible care.
If, however, she knew StepG'PA wasn't going to be home, then she is essentially saying that she knows better than the state and is overruling it by leaving kids in care of mom. I only say that because I don't really know the situation that G'ma was expecting.
JMO
ETA: I don't think that the kids should be there in the near term in any case.

How many chances should they get though?. Grandma has lost custody of 2 generations of children now, would reunification be in the best interests of the remaining children?. I think she has shown she doesn't make the best decisions in terms of the children's welfare. JMO

Specific evidence leads them to the landfill. FBI heading up part of the operation of the search.

To me the fact that that precious little boy was thrown in the garbage and ultimately ended up in the landfill tells me all I need to know about the one that should have protected him the most. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaV