GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vail

Justice for Kara & Jessica
Reaction score
A new wave of protests broke out in the city after Rayshard Brooks, 27, died after police shot him in a Wendy’s car park on Friday night. The fired police officer has been named as Garrett Rolfe. The police department released body camera and dash camera footage from both officers.

The Wendy's was torched last night and Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigned.

What happened?
According to the GBI, LE officers were responding to a complaint of a man sleeping in a car blocking the drive-through at the Wendy’s restaurant, and that Rayshard Brooked failed a sobriety test, and then resisted arrest.

The GBI Brooks had taken a Taser from one of the officers during a struggle, and appeared to have pointed it at the officer as he tried to run away from the police. The officer then opened fire with his gun.

Pictured here on body cam before he was shot
29585600-8418741-image-a-34_1592114504007.jpg

Brooks was a father of four and had celebrated a daughter's eighth birthday Friday before he was killed.

Up to the minute:
Minute-by-minute: Officer who shot Rayshard Brooks has been fired

PICTURED: Atlanta cop Garrett Rolfe who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks outside of Wendy's | Daily Mail Online

Atlanta officer fired after fatal shooting of black man

More than 40 minutes elapses between the time Brosnan first knocks on Brooks' car door while he's in Wendy's drive-thru and when gunshots ring out; Rolfe arrives on scene about 16 minutes in. The shooting is audible in footage from Rolfe's dash camera and both officers' body cameras, but wasn't captured on any of the four recordings provided by police. Both body cameras fall off during the struggle that ensues when Rolfe moves to handcuff Brooks after speaking to him for about 20 minutes, although Brooks is briefly glimpsed being Tased before he's shot.

A new wave of protests broke out in the city after Rayshard Brooks, 27, died after police shot him in a Wendy’s car park on Friday night. The fired police officer has been named as Garrett Rolfe. The police department released body camera and dash camera footage from both officers.

The Wendy's was torched last night and Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigned.

What happened?
According to the GBI, LE officers were responding to a complaint of a man sleeping in a car blocking the drive-through at the Wendy’s restaurant, and that Rayshard Brooked failed a sobriety test, and then resisted arrest.

The GBI Brooks had taken a Taser from one of the officers during a struggle, and appeared to have pointed it at the officer as he tried to run away from the police. The officer then opened fire with his gun.

Pictured here on body cam before he was shot
29585600-8418741-image-a-34_1592114504007.jpg

Brooks was a father of four and had celebrated a daughter's eighth birthday Friday before he was killed.

Up to the minute:
Minute-by-minute: Officer who shot Rayshard Brooks has been fired

PICTURED: Atlanta cop Garrett Rolfe who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks outside of Wendy's | Daily Mail Online
I saw the video on MSM news last night. I could clearly see the police chasing a man reported to be Rayshard Brooks who was running and shooting (the taser) behind him. Additionally, the video did not appear to be from a body cam, it appeared to be taken from a distance.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the officer fired in response to Rayshard Brooks firing a teaser at him. Isn't that called self defense ? Each case should be investigated individually based on evidence and facts and resolved accordingly. It's not a one size fits all problem or solution.

Atlanta police chief resigns over shooting death
On Saturday protesters set fire to the Wendy's restaurant where the shooting occurred and police chief Erika Shields handed in her resignation.

One of the Atlanta police officers involved in the latest shooting, Garrett Rolfe, has been sacked, and the other, Devin Bronsan, put on administrative duty.

Lawyers representing Mr Brooks' family said the officer had no right to use deadly force, saying the Taser which Mr Brooks had grabbed was a non-lethal weapon.

"You can't shoot somebody unless they are pointing a gun at you," attorney Chris Stewart said.

This is the 48th officer-involved shooting the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has investigated this year. Of those cases, 15 were fatal .

Im sorry for the family but this is what happens when you aim something at a police officer. I think it would be totally unreasonable to expect the officer to do nothing and hope it’s a tazer being pointed at them.
Is firing any officer involved in a deadly shooting going to be the new way to do things?

I watched the video and i feel badly for the decedent: he seemed like a decent man, talking about his daughter's birthday and such. This situation should not have concluded with Mr. Brook's death but I have to say this: when a police officer demands or requests something from you, you need to comply: this is even more the case for black people who are at a higher risk for police (shall we say) misbheavior. When an officer asks for your driver's license, or tells you to put your hands behind your back, just freaking do it: no good can come from resisting a police demand. nothing. The police officer has a gun and he/she has the power: why would you resist? just do it. Mr. Brooks resisted, aimed a taser at an officer and ran away-- all of these actions will result in disaster for the person acting in that manner. As an aside, why the heck did they burn down Wendy's? it's not Wendy's fault this happened. just terrible.

With the recent events, I feel that we are being forced to gloss over the fact that in the majority of cases it is not the cops, but the people they stop, who can prevent situations such as this from turning into a tragedy.

jmo

With the recent events, I feel that we are being forced to gloss over the fact that in the majority of cases it is not the cops, but the people they stop, who can prevent situations such as this from turning into a tragedy.

jmo

IMO there are some rogue officers out there and I do think black people are treated differently than white people by officers. However, resisting orders from an officer is a sure way to get into deep trouble. I can't imagine when i have been pulled over in my car and the officer asks for my license and registration, saying no-- i am polite and in fact i always tell the officer that i have to get my registration in the glove box and is that ok- so he doesn't think i am going for a gun.

There are good and bad in every profession and every color. We have no reason to believe this couldn’t have ended peacefully. We cannot expect officers to just stand there and be targets. If we won’t stand up FOR officers we better not expect to hide behind them when we need them.

If an officer is shot with a taser than more than likely he will loose his control on his gun. I believe this could escalate the situation. A loose gun with someone who has already taken control of the officers taser would leave one to believe the gun could follow suit.

It appears to me that we have an officer unjustly fired due to a knee jerk reaction, and probably someones hope to appease certain people.

I have so many friends who quit being police officers after the Michael Brown incident. They are working for TSA, private security work, a few are teaching school.

Not one of them regrets leaving. Not one. These are good people, several are ex military, lots of experience in dealing with people.

The good ones leave. That is the problem.

Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks has been terminated

There are two videos of the incident, including surveillance video from Wendy's. The other video was provided by a witness who requested anonymity due to privacy concerns.

The video from the eyewitness begins in the middle of the struggle between Brooks and two police officers. In the video, an officer is heard telling Brooks to "stop fighting" and "hands off the taser."

"The fight started when they tried to make an arrest ... after that he took a taser and took off," the witness said.

As the scuffle broke up, the video shows Brooks beginning to run from the officers and he is seen holding what appears to be a stun gun in his right hand. It appears one of the officers fires their stun gun at Brooks three times as he runs away.

Shortly after Brooks and one of the officers run by the car of the eyewitness taking the video, a second officer runs by, following Brooks.

Three shots are then heard out of frame.

The Wendy's surveillance video doesn't show the scuffle, but shows Brooks running away from where police cars are parked. In that video, Brooks appears to point the stun gun at the Atlanta officer.

"At that point the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot and he goes down," the GBI director said in a press conference on Saturday.

The eyewitness is heard saying in additional video obtained by CNN that Brooks was still breathing as he lay on the ground.

There are good and bad in every profession and every color. We have no reason to believe this couldn’t have ended peacefully. We cannot expect officers to just stand there and be targets. If we won’t stand up FOR officers we better not expect to hide behind them when we need them.
bbm
Thank you, @SugarQueen.
Wish I could "Like" this 1,000 times !

Sick of people who are making excuses and claim LE are mistreating them when they (civilians) commit criminal acts.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member