GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge Nap says authorities may be hoping for 'compromise verdict' in Rayshard Brooks death case

A taser provides 50,000 volts so is it deadly force? That is the key according to Judge Nap.

From the article -

"Brooks was shot Friday night after resisting arrest following his failure to pass a field sobriety test. Shortly before he was shot, Brooks grabbed one of the officers' Tasers and pointed at them as he tried to flee the scene.

Napolitano told host Neil Cavuto that a jury would have to consider whether Rolfe thought his life was at risk when Brooks fired the Taser.

"A trial judge will tell the jury that if a police officer thinks that deadly force is aimed at him, and if his thoughts are reasonable -- even if it's a rubber band and a paper clip, but he thinks it's a deadly force -- then he is justified in using deadly force ...," he said. "All officers know that Tasers produce 50,000 volts of electricity. That's enough to stop an elephant. It's certainly enough to kill a human being.

JUDGE NAPOLITANO SAYS IT WILL BE HARD TO PROVE 'MURDER' OF RAYSHARD BROOKS BY POLICE

"Whether they're characterized as deadly weapons or not, the judge will tell the jury, if the officer reasonably believed it was a deadly weapon and reasonably believed it was aimed at him, he was justified in using force," he went on.

"The second thing the court will tell the jury is, when cops at a scene are faced with choices between life and death, the life of somebody who they think poses a threat and the death of themselves, they are allowed to make that decision in favor of defending themselves. So again, the test here is not what a reasonable person would think, but what a reasonable police officer would think."
Oh the DA' might be hoping for a plea deal It will save the taxpayers the expénse of a lengthy trial and make the DA look good; all the while using the fear factor with the officer who was just doing his job. If you agree to a guilty plea we will ask for life in prison instead of the death penalty. What a terrible choice for an officer to have to make when IMO he is not guilty.

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. It starts with APD officers calling in sick in response to the unjustified charging of the officers in this case.

While sitting at home contemplating their future, I'm sure that more than a few will be looking at other places of employment that will promote their safety and their ability to provide for their families.

God help the people of Atlanta.

MOO...I have LE friends in an area with violent riots, and officers being investigated and put on leave. Many have called in sick. Its stress, their Doctors say so. Doctors are removing them from work, of course they can use sick/vacation time, most have short and long term disability.

State Police were called into help. Dang, now they got the same illnesses.

The presser was a complete joke. Imo, the DA looked like a fool. The videos are all over the Internet. Everyone saw RB resist. The DA forgetting to mention that is ridiculous. There were way too many things left out or blatantly lied about.
I didn’t watch the whole presser. I had zero interest in hearing what a great man , husband, father, whatever , RB was. We have all seen his record.

IMO the DA’s inaccurate retelling of what actually happened is going to put even more officers lives in dangers. This has already happened. I haven’t seen outrage on the part of the DA or the mayor about this. This officer wouldn’t have survived if a National Guard medic hadn’t been close by to offer assistance. This occurred during one of the ‘protests’.

“After an investigation, police said that Goggans tried to hit two other officers at two different intersections before deliberately driving into Brewer.”
UPDATE: Police say man on ATV who hit APD officer first tried to hit t

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads