GUILTY GA - Richard Vinson Merritt, 44, attorney, arrested for mom's murder, DeKalb Co., 5 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
U.S. Marshals searching for disbarred attorney wanted for mother's murder

The U.S. Marshal Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force are searching for a man wanted for the murder of his mother.

This nationwide search is for disbarred attorney Richard V. Merritt.

Merritt was being monitored by law enforcement via ankle monitor and was scheduled to report to jail February 1st for staling money from clients and elder abuse.

He was sentenced to 30 years in jail in Cobb County, Georgia for those crimes.

On February 2nd, authorities say the discovered Merritt's elderly mother violently murdered with her vehicle missing and Merritt's vehicle at the scene.

Merritt was not located and his ankle monitor was discovered.

Merritt is believed to be driving a 2009 silver Lexus RX350 with Georgia license plate CBV 6004. He may have shaved his head and/or changed his appearance and is considered armed and dangerous.

upload_2019-2-8_0-29-28.png

Richard Merritt: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Disbarred lawyer, on run after mother’s death, may have altered appearance, officials say

U.S. Marshals search for disgraced attorney accused of killing mother

Disbarred lawyer, on run after mother’s death, may have altered appearance, officials say

Fugitive wanted for mother’s murder could be in Central Texas

Ex-Lawyer Sought in Mom's Death Still on the Run | Daily Report

Previously...

Vic Reynolds Cobb County District Attorney

Crimes against clients leads disbarred attorney to prison

Jan. 22, 2019 – Cobb District Attorney Vic Reynolds announces that a disbarred Smyrna attorney has pleaded guilty to theft, forgery and elder-exploitation charges related to crimes committed against 17 of his former clients and been sentenced to serve 15 years in prison.

Richard Vinson Merritt, 44, admitted in court on Friday that between 2014 and 2017 he settled civil lawsuits on his clients’ behalf without telling the clients, forged their signatures on settlement checks and documents, and kept the money that was intended for his clients’ benefit. Some of his client-victims were pursuing medical malpractice claims and are now further injured financially because of Merritt’s crimes and abuse. Some other victims are elderly. Merritt lied to the victims, leading them to believe he was still pursuing their legal claims. Meanwhile, he was spending the unauthorized settlement funds on lavish vacations and a Porsche.

“The victims came to him for help, and he helped himself instead,” Senior ADA Jason Marbutt said. “People ought to be able to trust their lawyer. When a lawyer lies, it has ripple effects on the entire system.”

Several victims testified during the day-long hearing on Friday about the effect Merritt’s actions have had on their lives, not to mention their opinion of lawyers and faith in the justice system. One referred to him as “a mendacious scoundrel.” Another said Merritt was “a professional con man.”

After accepting the non-negotiated plea and hearing the testimony, Cobb Superior Court Judge Robert E. Flournoy III sentenced Merritt to 30 years, with 15 years to serve in prison and the balance on probation. Merritt was also ordered to pay restitution of $454,706. Judge Flournoy granted Merritt’s request for time to get his affairs in order before returning to custody, giving him until 5 p.m. on Feb. 1 to turn himself in.

Marietta attorney David Willingham represented Merritt.

Merritt surrendered his bar license in January 2018, shortly before his arrest in this case.

Thanks, cybervampira, for starting this thread. I just now saw an article about it, and I figured it was already started and I was right. This one's a it of a doozy, isn't it? WTH was he thinking? ...Gotta get away, don't wanna go to prison... Smart enuff once upon a time to pass his law boards, but now this dumb, IMO.
Let's see what happens...
------------------------------​
I just saw this -- Dunno if there is really anything new here, but here it is, dated today:

NC Wanted

Wanted: Former attorney, convicted felon on run after mother's murder in Georgia

Tags

Posted 4:12 p.m. today
Updated 4:22 p.m. today
DeKalb County, Ga. — The U.S. Marshals Service on Thursday asked for help from the public in tracking down a man wanted for the murder of his mother in Georgia.
Wanted: Former attorney, convicted felon on run after mother's murder in Georgia :: WRAL.com

Thanks. Not a bad-looking guy -- the white shirt, suit and tie help -- but I'm thinking the pic was probably few years old.

His own mother -- was he that desperate, that selfish, that scared, or just plain that cruel and mean? His own mother. SMH.
And owing people the money he took from them. Low-down, washed-out. But he is free right now.

Something really got hold of this guy -- more than likely it was that folding green stuff that will fit nicely in your wallet or billfold -- I guess he just didn't have enuff. And, IMO, he wanted to get even more, possibly from insurance proceeds.
I wonder how much cash he had on him when he took off -- he'll need good 'ol anonymous currency to get up or down the road. Will he get caught sooner or later or at all? Where to look?

Let's see how long it takes.

They are offering a 5,000 $ reward now!

Chris Jose

‪PLEASE SHARE U.S. Marshals release new picture of Richard Merritt. Nationwide manhunt continues for 'armed and dangerous' disbarred lawyer accused of killing mother. Investigator tells me this surveillance image was captured at a gas station shortly after Richard Merritt cut off his ankle monitor. The manhunt includes federal, state, and local enforcement RICHARD MERRITT MANHUNT: Nationwide manhunt for 'armed and dangerous' man accused of killing his mother WSB-TV

upload_2019-2-10_1-38-39.png

Police launch manhunt for ex-lawyer who 'removed his ankle tracker and stabbed his mother to death' | Daily Mail Online

[...]

Given a week to 'get his affairs in order', Merritt never appeared at the County Cobb jail in Georgia to begin his sentence on February 1.

US Marshalls headed to a Stone Mountain home to detain the disgraced lawyer but found his mother, Shirley Merritt, dead at the bottom of the stairs.

9598134-6685973-image-a-4_1549731020431.jpg

Merritt was issued a 30 year sentence last month after he was found guilty of 34 counts of theft and exploitation. It was also found he stole more than $400,000 from 17 clients and spent to proceeds on lavish holidays and a Porsche

9598122-6685973-image-a-3_1549731010094.jpg

Shirley Merritt, 77, was found dead at the bottom of the stairs in her home, in Stone Mountain Georgia, with a series of stab wounds in her side, and a steak knife found next to her lifeless body

The 77-year-old had been 'violently killed' according to police, with a series of stab wounds in her side and a steak knife found next to her body.

[...]

Lempka also aired concern that Merritt could be seeking revenge on the former clients who pressed charges leading to his conviction.

'We don't know what's going on with him, but he's very unpredictable.

'He could hurt or kill someone else at this point,' he said.

9598132-6685973-image-a-5_1549731040636.jpg

The 44-year-old was disbarred in 2018, having been a Lawyer for 18 years. He blamed his misconduct on alcohol abuse and the anxiety of nearly two decades in a high-pressured environment

[...]

Police launch manhunt for ex-lawyer who 'removed his ankle tracker and stabbed his mother to death' | Daily Mail Online

[...]

Given a week to 'get his affairs in order', Merritt never appeared at the County Cobb jail in Georgia to begin his sentence on February 1.

US Marshalls headed to a Stone Mountain home to detain the disgraced lawyer but found his mother, Shirley Merritt, dead at the bottom of the stairs.

9598134-6685973-image-a-4_1549731020431.jpg

Merritt was issued a 30 year sentence last month after he was found guilty of 34 counts of theft and exploitation. It was also found he stole more than $400,000 from 17 clients and spent to proceeds on lavish holidays and a Porsche

9598122-6685973-image-a-3_1549731010094.jpg

Shirley Merritt, 77, was found dead at the bottom of the stairs in her home, in Stone Mountain Georgia, with a series of stab wounds in her side, and a steak knife found next to her lifeless body

The 77-year-old had been 'violently killed' according to police, with a series of stab wounds in her side and a steak knife found next to her body.

[...]

Lempka also aired concern that Merritt could be seeking revenge on the former clients who pressed charges leading to his conviction.

'We don't know what's going on with him, but he's very unpredictable.

'He could hurt or kill someone else at this point,' he said.

9598132-6685973-image-a-5_1549731040636.jpg

The 44-year-old was disbarred in 2018, having been a Lawyer for 18 years. He blamed his misconduct on alcohol abuse and the anxiety of nearly two decades in a high-pressured environment

[...]

I'd like to know what the "high- pressured environment" was. Hmmmmm.

JMO

I'd like to know what the "high- pressured environment" was. Hmmmmm.

JMO
Probably trying to avoid those pesky phone messages checking
their cases and funds.
I wonder: Was this guy always a bad apple?
Or did the alcohol rot away his thinking/judgmental part of his brain?
Bet his mother could have answered this. Maybe his estranged
brother could still.
He probably won't be taken alive, IMO.

Probably trying to avoid those pesky phone messages checking
their cases and funds.
I wonder: Was this guy always a bad apple?
Or did the alcohol rot away his thinking/judgmental part of his brain?
Bet his mother could have answered this. Maybe his estranged
brother could still.
He probably won't be taken alive, IMO.

I found the answer. Not going to post out of respect for his ex-wife and children.

Sometimes life throws folks a curve ball that they can't catch/ handle.

Not excusing his behavior but I have a better understanding of his backstory.

You can start a private conversation about this if you want.

JMO

He was my friends attorney and he started texting her very inappropiate things about his wife and their sexual needs. They have contacted the Marshall that is taking care of this case but this guy honestly hit rock bottom.
Thanks for your comments, rocio, and

Welcome to Websleuths, rocio melendez !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisacfuller
Back