GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay I guess nobody feels like making posts, but I am still pondering this case, so I will keep making posts.

The one thing I really want to know about is, if that security gate was manned, by a person, 24/7. I tried googling Reynolds plantation security, I didn't really see any specifics. But from a few things I saw online, they said like 24/7 security with patrol guards and cameras. That does NOT make it sound like they had 24/7 live security at the gate. Because I think if they had it, they would have specifically said it.

Plus the police never mentioned anything about interviewing the security guard that night, and asking what he saw. That also makes me think there was no guard at that gate that night.

So not having the manned gate 24/7 would make it way easier for him to get in. That might explain why the perp was still hanging around the next day. He wanted to wait until the security guy left at night.

But even with a manned gate, looking at Google maps, late night he can drive in on some other roads, around the community, park, and just walk in. Or even drive over the grass and get to one of the inside roads.

He really only has to do it one time. Because once he's in there, he can steal a key pass from a house or car. Then he deactivated the security cameras. So he's good to go. He can come and go late night as he pleases.

But knowing for sure about the manned gate would really change my opinions on this.

So I think we're looking at a very organized killer for this. This is a guy who probably knew lockpicking. And or other good ways to surreptitiously get into a house. This is a guy who probably has been invading houses and cars in the area for years already. And police have overlooked him. Maybe because he is known to have worked for police in some way before.

It's kind of similar to the serial killer Dennis Rader situation, who also probably used lock picking to get into some houses. And who also used to work in some capacity linked to the police, as a code enforcer.

So all these ideas people have, that the killer must have known the people to get into the house etc., is probably wrong. He just let himself into the house on his own. Probably through lockpicking. In fact he probably went into several houses around there as well.

And also picked up a gate keycard too, once he got in there to some houses, to make it easier for himself. Once he had that, he could come and go as he pleases.

I'm kind of wondering if he brought his own canoe too. Or kayak. If he had a truck or van, he could fit it in there.

Police should ask info from anybody who's made complaints about a guy who knows lock picking in the area. And see if those complaints were foolishly dismissed by police.

But yeah, unfortunately people were looking at this through a much too normal prism, when it comes to crime. When they should have been looking at it from a much more specialized viewpoint. Because they were picturing the wrong type situation. I think the clues were already there, the unforced entry, the lack of forensics, no evidence at the gate, the cameras being out at the gate, etc. The clues were already there from day one, about the type of killer we were dealing with. But nobody wanted to recognize it.

I was just looking up some stuff, he could have had an inflatable rowboat. They cost like a hundred bucks. And they're good up to 350 lbs load. And they say they're just as good as a hard hull boat. So he definitely could have brought that, uninflated, in any car. Edit- yes I just saw a video, they do indeed deflate down to a very small size. Like a 1x2 foot box. And I'm sure they have slightly bigger ones too, for more weight

Last edited:
This is a gated community, so it looks like access is controlled 24 hours a day. Residents and visitors likely travel through the exact same gates. When I lived in a similar community, my guests could not come into the community without my permission on file at the gate.
"There is a two car max and all cars must be registered through guest services during check in or gate house for afterhours arrivals."

Last edited:
What's missing from this case is motive. Who had motive to kill the couple? I think it's fairly obvious that this was an organized killing. Serial killers, as well as contract killers, and even inexperienced killers can all be organized; all are motivated by different things.

What was the killers motivation to kill the Dremonds? The crime scene is strange; was it staged? Did they decapitate Mr. Dremond in order to throw off investigators? Had the killer(s) done something similar before, or was this their first time?

I would think that all family and friends were thoroughly investigated. I hope that all their communications were looked into.

The fact that this case is still cold has led me to believe it may be a serial killing. Serial killers are typically motivated by their own anger, sexual desire, or the intense excitement that killing brings them.

There was no evidence of a sexual assault, but were police really able to determine that conclusively despite Shirley being in the water? Was she put in the water in an attempt to wash off DNA? Did the killer sexually assault Mr. Dremond as well? Was he unable to carry both bodies onto the boat, choosing only to bring Mr. Dremonds head because that's where the killer had left his DNA?

The may have a fairly scattered modus operandi and a broad victimology, which is why no similar crimes have been noted nearby. I still don't believe we know all the details of this crime. Police have likely held some things back from the public. They might already have a strong person of interest and lack the evidence they need to make them a suspect.

This is a gated community, so it looks like access is controlled 24 hours a day. Residents and visitors likely travel through the exact same gates. When I lived in a similar community, my guests could not come into the community without my permission on file at the gate.
"There is a two car max and all cars must be registered through guest services during check in or gate house for afterhours arrivals."
Yes, I recall from my recent watchings of interviews with the Sheriff, back then visitor licence plates were recorded, however service vehicles would have a pass just like residents, so they weren't tracked. And the cameras weren't actually functioning.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic
Back