GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Waters-Reynolds Plantation-Lake Oconee is not just for retirees or the elderly. This is not a retirement community like those seen in Florida. In fact they cater to young families as well. This is more like an elite subdivision

The Great Waters clubhouse complements the stunning Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course at Great Waters with a gracious design and relaxing atmosphere.

Here, you will find a golf shop, restaurant, adult pool, and a children's wading pool. The Great Waters swimming complex features a 60-foot lap pool, a children's wading pool, Jacuzzi-type spa, and a terrace where visitors can relax and enjoy dramatic views of the Great Waters course and Lake Oconee.

There’s a playground for entertaining little ones, and the community has a series of walking trails for exploring nature as well. At Great Waters you’ll find the perfect setting for special events, such as the annual July 4th fireworks display, a perennial favorite for residents of Reynolds Plantation.

https://www.reynoldsplantation.com/our-community/club-facilities/great-waters

I also noted that by the Reynolds Plantation website they do vacation rentals; cabins, condo and an inn. Not sure if all that is behind the same guard stations that the Great Water homes are in or not.. It they are then it is not only other residents to consider but complete strangers.

Any locals on here that might know???

https://www.reynoldsplantation.com/visit/stay-and-play-packages

Any locals here?

The killer if he did come by boat did he/she have to trespass on someones propety to get to their home?

Is there a public parking lot and boat ramp?

Just from pulling the map up it looks like there are a number of homes on the lake with docks/boat slips.
I don't think anyone would have to trespass to get to their home.
I have heard there are boat ramps open 24/7.

I wonder if the cameras in the neighborhood are still broken.
I wonder if others are installing security systems now that they realize the guard gate does nothing to prevent a predator from harming someone in the neighborhood.
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I also noted that by the Reynolds Plantation website they do vacation rentals; cabins, condo and an inn. Not sure if all that is behind the same guard stations that the Great Water homes are in or not.. It they are then it is not only other residents to consider but complete stranglers.

Any locals on here that might know???

https://www.reynoldsplantation.com/visit/stay-and-play-packages

I am not local but I pulled the map up.
Reynolds is basically straight across the lake from
Great Water. In a Northwest direction I believe.

By road it is quite a distance.
By water not so much.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I know most of you have been following this case longer than me but has it ever released whether or not either of the Dermonds had any cash left on them or in the house.

I read the wife's purse was still in the house but was there any money in it? I also saw no mention of Mr Dermond's wallet being found.

This is so wrong not searching for her.

I know this lake is huge but they should at least go to every nearby dock.

I have not heard about their cars being towed away for forensics testing.

The family should hire a PI.

They did do some searching early on,one to two hours after the initial call, as stated by the sheriff in the press conference.

I know most of you have been following this case longer than me but has it ever released whether or not either of the Dermonds had any cash left on them or in the house.

I read the wife's purse was still in the house but was there any money in it? I also saw no mention of Mr Dermond's wallet being found.

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/07/3085920/putnam-mans-death-wifes-disappearance.html

“Their wallets are there, pocketbook’s there. There is nothing out of place. Everything is immaculate,” he said. “This is the cleanest house I’ve ever been in.”

Was Mrs. D. in good health and would she have been able to walk down to the boat dock?

Am I right in thinking that one could actually boat from this lake into the oconee river and on to the Atlantic Ocean? Anyone from the area and familiar with the river ways?

The recent mentions of organized crime had me thinking entirely in the wrong direction. I think LE is thinking more Mexican cartels.

Is it possible the Dermonds saw something on the lake they shouldn't have? Perhaps an alternative pathway for moving drugs thru the state?

There have been a lot of articles about the cartels setting up shop in areas like Atlanta and Louisville.

:tyou:

That is a great map!!! :tyou:

Seems the Great Water homes and golf course are behind a separate security gate from the rest of the development.

Yes, Great Waters has its own entrance. There is another waterfront community adjacent to Great Waters. IIRC, it is called Water's Edge. I took a few pics of the entrance today but haven't taken the time to research the rules and process for posting pics here. :blushing:

I have a habit of jumping to massive unfounded theories so forgive me. Is there any possibility that perhaps these poor peoples son wasn't actually murdered?

Still wonder though if the wallets had any cash left in them?

I don't know about the cash in the wallets , but I found this link about their home, with a typo....
"Because the neighborhood is so secure, officials say it's possible that someone the Howard's knew may have committed the crime because there was no signs of forced entry and absolutely nothing was taken from the home."
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/national/putnam-detectives-fear-missing-87-year-old-was-kid/nfrXH/

I imagine the "Howard's" is supposed to be the Dermonds!!! And they used the name Howard previously when mentioning Sheriff Howard Sills.
BUT ANYWAY! My point is maybe when it is mentioned that Absolutely nothing was taken from the home, maybe that meant cash in their wallets, as well?? Maybe???
IMOO.

Am I right in thinking that one could actually boat from this lake into the oconee river and on to the Atlantic Ocean? Anyone from the area and familiar with the river ways?

The recent mentions of organized crime had me thinking entirely in the wrong direction. I think LE is thinking more Mexican cartels.

Is it possible the Dermonds saw something on the lake they shouldn't have? Perhaps an alternative pathway for moving drugs thru the state?

There have been a lot of articles about the cartels setting up shop in areas like Atlanta and Louisville.
There's a dam between Lake Oconee & Lake Sinclair so you can't cross from one to the other...

Well leave it to me to be totally slammed with work for two days while trying to follow this mysterious case. Even if I could have been here like usual, I doubt I would have much to add to the great thoughts and commentaries you guys have given.
Thanks for all the links to information....that has helped me to catch up each night just before crashing.
I think, for once, I'm speechless. Just don't know what to think about this one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill