GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we've been around this two or ten times, but here I go again...

Does anyone know if the canoeist Russell Dermond is related to the victim? Both men were from New Jersey, and coincidentally, a Linger Longer Development Company CEO was also a US Olympic canoeist.

Does anyone know if the canoeist Russell Dermond is related to the victim? Both men were from New Jersey, and coincidentally, a Linger Longer Development Company CEO was also a US Olympic canoeist.

I saw an article that mentioned that this RD's wife's first name starts with a "J".
I don't know if that helps. I did not bookmark that article.
IMOO.

ETA:
FOUND THE ARTICLE WITH PHOTO
http://www.thousandislandslife.com/...rticleView/articleId/650/How-Sweet-It-Is.aspx

Could the Dermond's have been a financial backer to this Doctor in the past?

When he was first mentioned, I read his information and was not impressed. Some place up thread it is mentioned there are many LinkedIn accounts that read the same (another page), so why is this?

Perhaps he taught a series on Marriage After Retirement as that is a whole new way of life!

Per WMAZ Reporter on Twitter:

Heading back to shore, unfortunately no clues today in the search for Shirley Dermond

Claire, see other treatment issues, specialities, etc., on the right index of the page;

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/John_J_Stathas_PhD,LMFT_Marietta_Georgia_60906

I saw that Foxfire. I also scanned through the many articles he has published. My impression is that his practice is very much focused on family and marriage counseling. Based on my experience, (my son is a psychologist and so is my best friend), psychologists usually specialize in certain areas, even if they are qualified to cover other types of disorders.

In addition to relationship counseling, his clientele probably includes some depressed and/or anxious women. (I noticed that about 3/4 of his "friends" on FB are middle-aged females.) Maybe a few alcoholics or those addicted to prescription drugs.

I doubt he sees many adults with major psychological problems like schizophrenia or hard-core drug addiction. Most of his clients are probably upper-middle or upper class.

However, it might be worth investigating any troubled teens that he has treated. The poor little rich kid just waiting to explode. The psychopath in the making.

I saw that Foxfire. I also scanned through the many articles he has published. My impression is that his practice is very much focused on family and marriage counseling. Based on my experience, (my son is a psychologist and so is my best friend), psychologists usually specialize in certain areas, even if they are qualified to cover other types of disorders.

In addition to relationship counseling, his clientele probably includes some depressed and/or anxious women. (I noticed that about 3/4 of his "friends" on FB are middle-aged females.) Maybe a few alcoholics or those addicted to prescription drugs.

I doubt he sees many adults with major psychological problems like schizophrenia or hard-core drug addiction. Most of his clients are probably upper-middle or upper class.

However, it might be worth investigating any troubled teens that he has treated. The poor little rich kid just waiting to explode. The psychopath in the making.[/QUOTE]

The parents of him may be seeking family counseling, with or without the addicted psycho child, just an observation, not necessarily that he would TREAT those with severe drug addictions but families have to start somewhere when they have troiubled family lives or children, I s'pose

I guess it's because I'm also in Real Estate, but I just can't get past the fact of another death on the lake just a few miles away within days...seems too much of a coincidence to me. How do they know it was accidental? Like others have mentioned up thread, how do they know she wasn't pushed or held under unless there was a witness? And if it was a stroke or heart attack, wouldn't that have been in the findings of the coroner's report instead of just "accidental drowning?"

I was wondering if maybe she saw something she wasn't supposed to see while she was out showing houses, maybe even the one nearby on Carolyn Drive? I went to check the Georgia RE Commission website to see if she was still an agent with the CB Brokerage, and guess what...? Her license expired on May 1st due to non-payment of license renewal fees (due every 4 years). So that shot that theory of mine! Our lockbox ekeys are disabled immediately if our license goes inactive, so there's no way she could have been showing houses after April 30th... sorry if I'm rambling, just mostly thinking out loud here... JMO

FWIW, could there be a name change? From ancestry, the names similar to Dermond are D'yarmond and Mc dermont, the MC dropped and d instead of T, which happens in geneaolgy

just thinkingl, that is weird about the neighbor also being an olympic canoeist, would make sense on how maybe the family relocated to Oconee , if other Russell is family, possibly

However, it might be worth investigating any troubled teens that he has treated. The poor little rich kid just waiting to explode. The psychopath in the making.

Generally, psychiatric problems are treated by an MD (psychiatrist), who has extensive experience in this field. A psychologist deals principally with emotional issues, not mental illness.

There are differences between sociopaths and psychopaths, too.

I am of the opinion this "doctor" has nothing to do with the Dermonds or this case.

BTW, has anyone found an obituary for their son, Mark?

ClaireNC, imo, many marriages implode due their poor little rich kid; psychopath in training... Little calculating, creative, deflective manipulative; narcissist button pushers..

Can you Call a 9 Year Old a Psychopath?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/m....html?_r=5&src=me&ref=general&pagewanted=all&

One day last summer, Anne and her husband, Miguel, took their 9-year-old son, Michael, to a Florida elementary school for the first day of what the family chose to call “summer camp.” For years, Anne and Miguel have struggled to understand their eldest son, an elegant boy with high-planed cheeks, wide eyes and curly light brown hair, whose periodic rages alternate with moments of chilly detachment. Michael’s eight-week program was, in reality, a highly structured psychological study — less summer camp than camp of last resort.

Michael’s problems started, according to his mother, around age 3, shortly after his brother Allan was born.
<sniped - read more>

While there are two Russell Dermonds, they are totally different men. Different ages, however from the same county or borough. It is possible that they are cousins or a more distant relation, just given the fact they are from the same area. I have seen the census papers from the 1940s that clearly put them in two different households

I really began to wonder if they were relatives when I saw that one of the Dermond's family members was a college rower.

And I'm with you all...how could it possibly be ruled as accidental death in the case of VS? I suppose it's possible she had a stroke or something, but I believe she was only 50.

Generally, psychiatric problems are treated by an MD (psychiatrist), who has extensive experience in this field. A psychologist deals principally with emotional issues, not mental illness.

I am of the opinion this "doctor" has nothing to do with the Dermonds or this case.

Annie1004, you are welcome to your opinion.. I do not think the DR has any ties to this case, but there very well may be a tie to the mental health treatment facility, imo.. Can you please explain the difference between a sociopath, psychopath, and a person with antisocial personality disorder, other than PC or semantics?

Annie1004, life experiences, research, instincts, and Vernon Geberth; author of the Homicide Bible; 'Practical Homicide Investigations', is usually what I base my opinions on.. Homicide investigators across the nation will usually have his book/s for reference..

Vernon Geberth Biography
http://www.practicalhomicide.com/AboutPHI/bio.htm

http://www.practicalhomicide.com/articles/psexsad.htm

I guess it's because I'm also in Real Estate, but I just can't get past the fact of another death on the lake just a few miles away within days...seems too much of a coincidence to me. How do they know it was accidental? Like others have mentioned up thread, how do they know she wasn't pushed or held under unless there was a witness? And if it was a stroke or heart attack, wouldn't that have been in the findings of the coroner's report instead of just "accidental drowning?"

I was wondering if maybe she saw something she wasn't supposed to see while she was out showing houses, maybe even the one nearby on Carolyn Drive? I went to check the Georgia RE Commission website to see if she was still an agent with the CB Brokerage, and guess what...? Her license expired on May 1st due to non-payment of license renewal fees (due every 4 years). So that shot that theory of mine! Our lockbox ekeys are disabled immediately if our license goes inactive, so there's no way she could have been showing houses after April 30th... sorry if I'm rambling, just mostly thinking out loud here... JMO

But she could have shown it up until April 30, right? Didn't the area have a spell of bad weather for a few days shortly after? That timeline still makes sense to me...except I don't think the killer would miss the fact that her realtor number would be stored in the lockbox. (Is that right?)

Thanks Annie. Of course, psychiatric problems are treated by a MD, but they may also see a psychologist for counseling. My son specializes in people with addictions, many of his clients also have been diagnosed with various mental illnesses.

I was trying to paint a picture of the kind of practice that the "doctor" has, without getting into too much detail. I don't really think he has anything to do with the Dermonds either, other than they might have known each other socially. The Life Development Center just appears to be the name of his office. It is not some kind of in-patient treatment facility, as some people here seem to believe.

As for the son's obituary. I have searched and searched for it and have not been able to find one. Also Russell's parents are buried in Florida, but I can't find an obit for either of them. (Father died in 1978 and mother died in 2001). I spent way too much time looking for those obituaries, but I don't have ancestry.com or any of the other paid genealogy sites. Maybe somebody with access to those sites can do some digging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!