KateB

Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.

GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2
Thread #3 Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7 Thread #8
Thread #9Thread#10

Hey Everyone,

Websleuths Presents Into the Case Podcast premiers tomorrow night.

This is very exciting. Our case for season 1 is the murder of Russell and Shirley Dermond.

What makes this exciting is this is the first podcast where members of Websleuths will be actively involved in helping Levi and me shake loose, hopefully, some clues in this very strange.

Levi and I will be in Eatonton for the first few days of February to ask people some questions and talk to the locals.

Check out the podcast thread RIGHT HERE

Just listened to the Podcast ! Have to say, I was initially very skeptical but you guys had a some really good guests and did a fabulous job and I loved the differing opinions that made for good comparisons on the reasoning or lack thereof behind this crime.

I liked that the agent brought up the location of SD body, it ultimately ended up along the main channel of the lake but he asked was there cover there for the perps to dump her the reason for the location? And why not the dam, where the deepest water is? I dont know that they could have without detection but where she was found clearly was not a good hiding place.

So I guess according to all the opinions, so far it seems as thought it is NOT mob hit. It could still be a hired hit I guess. I was thinking it could be a crazy person, but I am not sure they would even go to that kind of trouble. Seems they'd be on the same page as the mob. Get it done and leave

It still just seems so meticulously planned to me, they went to a LOT of trouble in this case to what? IDK, not to hide anyone completely apparently because they left him and wiped up blood then placed her in NOT the deepest water.

Cant wait for the next episode!

Was just typing and loggin in when your post came thru! LOL
I was impressed! I posted and am also still standing behind my theory as well, someone had something to gain

The first podcast was outstanding! You must listen to hear about the different theories. As of now, I still stand by my theory, it was planned by someone who had something to gain.

IMHO

Larry Levine was very doubtful, it was Mafia related. There wasn’t any reason for the Mafia to have interest in this elderly couple. I’ve always maintained, it was a hired hit, and the demented hit man decided to improvise, hence the beheading, just because. While listening last night, I finally had a feeling where the head was disposed. I think the head, along with Shirley’s body, were thrown from the boat into the lake.

IMHO

Larry Levine was very doubtful, it was Mafia related. There wasn’t any reason for the Mafia to have interest in this elderly couple. I’ve always maintained, it was a hired hit, and the demented hit man decided to improvise, hence the beheading, just because. While listening last night, I finally had a feeling where the head was disposed. I think the head, along with Shirley’s body, were thrown from the boat into the lake.

IMHO

I had the same thought as to where poor Mr. Dermond’s head was left. Had they weighed it down in a mesh bag, the skull may still be down there, depending on currents. All JMO, of course.

Just listened to the Podcast ! Have to say, I was initially very skeptical but you guys had a some really good guests and did a fabulous job and I loved the differing opinions that made for good comparisons on the reasoning or lack thereof behind this crime.

I liked that the agent brought up the location of SD body, it ultimately ended up along the main channel of the lake but he asked was there cover there for the perps to dump her the reason for the location? And why not the dam, where the deepest water is? I dont know that they could have without detection but where she was found clearly was not a good hiding place.

So I guess according to all the opinions, so far it seems as thought it is NOT mob hit. It could still be a hired hit I guess. I was thinking it could be a crazy person, but I am not sure they would even go to that kind of trouble. Seems they'd be on the same page as the mob. Get it done and leave

It still just seems so meticulously planned to me, they went to a LOT of trouble in this case to what? IDK, not to hide anyone completely apparently because they left him and wiped up blood then placed her in NOT the deepest water.

Cant wait for the next episode!
Thanks for listening and giving us a chance! I hope the episode wasn't too long. I didn't want to go over an hour, but so many of the guests made such good points, it was hard to edit everything down to an hour.

IMHO
I wonder about the motivation behind leaving his body behind and taking the head or even disposing of the head in the lake? Why not just take his entire body, like they did SD?

It seems like the headless body was left for the shock factor. Or that was part of the motivation. This would have made news anyway, given the area it happened in, their age, etc. But the decapitation is what set this crime apart from others and makes you really shocked. When I think of decapitation, I think of a horror movie.

It's just odd. But the point that TJTennisPro made about diversion. The head taken, Shirley Dermond missing, people wondering if she killed her husband and then took off, then her body being found in the lake 10 days later. The killer or killers wanted to confuse people.

They certainly accomplished that, because there have been a ton of theories. From Mexican cartels, to mafia, etc.

If it was a sick, twisted person that killed, just for the sake of killing. Killed because they got pleasure from it. I can imagine them sitting back and acting gleeful out of the chaos and confusion that they have caused. That is really scary to think about.

Also, SS has said he doesn't think it was anyone in the family that killed for financial reasons (inheritance).

So if it is not the family, I would think it was someone that was not going through a financial hardship. Because all their belongings were left there, pocket books, jewelry etc. Because if they are going to take the time to decapitate a head, they are certainly not worried about spending in the property. If they were going through a hard time financially, they would have taken things.

Thanks everyone for all your kind words.

Levi and I will be heading to Georgia in about 10 days or so to talk to people face to face.
It is going to get pretty intense pretty fast is my guess.

Thanks everyone for all your kind words.

Levi and I will be heading to Georgia in about 10 days or so to talk to people face to face.
It is going to get pretty intense pretty fast is my guess.

So glad you and Levi are going to Georgia, to poke around and ask questions. It should make someone very nervous. Be safe, wishing you all the best.

So glad you and Levi are going to Georgia, to poke around and ask questions. It should make someone very nervous. Be safe, wishing you all the best.

Thanks for the kind words in your post above.

So I 100% believe that the separate killings were a diversion. I also beleve it was a trio of people. The guy on the lawn tells me that’s probable. How do we know the Dermonds knew their killers? Half finished crossword puzzle, unlocked doors and nothing was distributed.

These people definitely wanted to make SD seem like the bad person briefly. Husband is headless in the garage and she vanished for 10 days. Did they tie 30lbs or 60lbs to the body? Regardless it was in the tree line, the body didn’t weigh enough to not drift once it rose.

I know the kids are cleared and I’m not saying they did it or even hired someone that did but I think they know more than they’re letting on. This happened 5 years ago and one of them has said a word once! Well a few words but that’s sketchy.

This had to do with money. Nothing else makes sense. Maybe SS should have a different forensic accountant go over the records. SS if you ever check in get DD to comb over the records he was the forensic accountant in the Tex McIver case.

Just too many coincidences IMO. Alarm disabled over Easter. Camera’s not working. A family member was not truthful. This couple was not just randomly killed on the first weekend of boating season when they were headed to a party the same evening.

Obviously people didn’t want to imitate the welfare check. Follow the money and someone close to the family knows more than they’re telling us. My Opinion are my own but that doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

Thanks for listening and giving us a chance! I hope the episode wasn't too long. I didn't want to go over an hour, but so many of the guests made such good points, it was hard to edit everything down to an hour.

Great job Levi and Tricia! Such a small word we live in that I ended up knowing someone else y’all interviewed in the podcast and had zero clue until I listened and saw the notes in the podcast thread.

Thanks for the kind words in your post above.

So I 100% believe that the separate killings were a diversion. I also beleve it was a trio of people. The guy on the lawn tells me that’s probable. How do we know the Dermonds knew their killers? Half finished crossword puzzle, unlocked doors and nothing was distributed.

These people definitely wanted to make SD seem like the bad person briefly. Husband is headless in the garage and she vanished for 10 days. Did they tie 30lbs or 60lbs to the body? Regardless it was in the tree line, the body didn’t weigh enough to not drift once it rose.

I know the kids are cleared and I’m not saying they did it or even hired someone that did but I think they know more than they’re letting on. This happened 5 years ago and one of them has said a word once! Well a few words but that’s sketchy.

This had to do with money. Nothing else makes sense. Maybe SS should have a different forensic accountant go over the records. SS if you ever check in get DD to comb over the records he was the forensic accountant in the Tex McIver case.

Just too many coincidences IMO. Alarm disabled over Easter. Camera’s not working. A family member was not truthful. This couple was not just randomly killed on the first weekend of boating season when they were headed to a party the same evening.

Obviously people didn’t want to imitate the welfare check. Follow the money and someone close to the family knows more than they’re telling us. My Opinion are my own but that doesn’t mean they’re wrong.
I firmly believe it's not BD's accounts that need to be be assessed by a forensic account but someone else's.
I also believe the family knows more about this than they are saying as imo they are the direct and indirect cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee