GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’ve heard SS say he is suspect of someone or some people. This means he must have already interviewed this person or these people and feel their stories don’t add up.

To me it is looking like a issue of money or inheritance. I know the 3 living children were the benificaries of the Ds estate, equally divided. But what about grand children?

We see pictures of the Ds touting over them but those photos have to be quite old and seeing that the Ds children are in their late 50s to early 60s this would make the grandchildren grown adults. I hope SS looked into grandchildren and their spouses.

We know the Ds had a son Mark who had a drug addiction pretty much his entire adult life and I’m sure they indured quite a lot as I’ve heard SS say he would steal from his parents at times to get drug money.

Could the Ds have been dealing with a younger generation in their family with a similar addiction but because of their experience with their own son would not facilitate or enable that person no mater how much they may have pleaded for financial help thus anger was built up? Maybe SD was the one most firm on not repeating past mistakes.

So we are to assume the killers arrived at the house and took the Dermonds to another location and murdered them at that location , brought Both back to the Dermonds house where they beheaded Mr. Dermond who was already dead, Brought Mrs Dermond on the boat and dumped her 5 miles away from their house and did this without being seen or heard we assume she was dead before she was put on the boat and killed outside of their house.

We are also to assume this could be about someone extorting the Dermonds. Well if someone went there to extort them they sure planned on getting nothing. Anyone who would extort someone is going to do their homework and they would have found out there wasn't much available money since most of it was tied up in investments. They didn't take anything of expense from the home so that eliminates robbery. Lets eliminate those 2 extortion and robbery

Next up - why would someone do this to a couple in their late 80's and who have been retired for many years?
Someone who held a grudge? very possible something could have made them or a family member snap. Maybe a family member passed away and this was seen as getting justice. Think a person who was once possibly fired by Mr Dermond or something like that. Beheading is rage or revenge.

My point is nobody would plan something this way , unless they got exactly what they wanted ( the Dermonds dead) . Now the question is who would want them dead?

You lay out the info so well here, hockeyguy! Those are the facts combined with the sheriff's theory.

Look at all the time involved in these "extortion murders"... With nothing gained except brutal death to both victims.

If you shot someone and killed them what would you do with the gun? I'd wipe it clean and then either melt it down or take it swimming in the ocean ( not the lake) You need the gun to match the bullet and if the killers were as good as they seem that gun wouldn't come back to them it would be a clean gun. My guess for the beheading would be finger prints or dna on the head. SS has said they passed the polygraphs but I think he has said before everyone is a suspect except him. Besides if he did suspect someone he wouldn't name them publicly and would probably give them the all clear and hope they slip up eventually

this case is similar to the Robert Hollis murder from what little I have read. He was beheaded and the head has not been found and I believe he was in his 70's and his apartment was spotless . SS never mentioned this case so I wonder if he knows about it. Not much info about the murder and even the WS thread is not drawing attention

here's the link please read this and tell me it's not similar http://wavenewspapers.com/inglewood-homicide-baffles-investigators/

Levi,

In early May I’ll put a go pro on a jet ski and cruise up to the back of the Dermonds and show that even in early May on a weekend no less that nobody will come out an look at me with a weary eye. Kids won’t be outside playing yet. Dogs won’t be barking. Unfortunately that’s just how it is until summer.

I think it's possible that the killer or killers could have visited the home via boat on the Lake and staked out the Dermond's home to get a feel for the area (assuming the killer was not a close neighbor). Maybe be out on the Lake to see when there is not a lot of activity on the Lake, to see when neighbors are not active outside, to get a feel for the Dermond's and their schedule, to see what time is best to "strike." We were in a boat and were really close to the docks at the homes and did not draw any attention. It would have been real easy for someone to pull up to someones dock and walk right up to their home. It gives me chills thinking about someone lying in wait or planning the perfect time to do this...

It was actually really quiet on the Lake while we were there and the homes were really quiet. I didn't see people outside, no kids playing, no pets barking or stirring around or anything. It was February, late afternoon, but it was still a nice day outside.

When I think about the Lake and how "vulnerable" people are to random people having access to their property... I know if I lived there, I'd want a big guard dog. I've had German Shepherds and they would have gone nuts if someone in a boat was as close to the homes as we were. I bet there is a HOA regulations about barking dogs though. But I would feel safer with one, especially after studying this case. LOL

I need to visit again when it is warmer.

If you do a google search there isn't much info on this murder

Seems his family nor the press was able to gain any info/comments from LE except that a "task force" was formed to investigate Hollis' murder... I'm not even sure his cause of death was released... Maybe everyone assumed it was due to decapitation?? Assumptions are trouble, IMO.

this case is similar to the Robert Hollis murder from what little I have read. He was beheaded and the head has not been found and I believe he was in his 70's and his apartment was spotless . SS never mentioned this case so I wonder if he knows about it. Not much info about the murder and even the WS thread is not drawing attention

here's the link please read this and tell me it's not similar http://wavenewspapers.com/inglewood-homicide-baffles-investigators/

It's similar all right..

So we’ve heard SS say he is suspect of someone or some people. This means he must have already interviewed this person or these people and feel their stories don’t add up.

To me it is looking like a issue of money or inheritance. I know the 3 living children were the benificaries of the Ds estate, equally divided. But what about grand children?

We see pictures of the Ds touting over them but those photos have to be quite old and seeing that the Ds children are in their late 50s to early 60s this would make the grandchildren grown adults. I hope SS looked into grandchildren and their spouses.

We know the Ds had a son Mark who had a drug addiction pretty much his entire adult life and I’m sure they indured quite a lot as I’ve heard SS say he would steal from his parents at times to get drug money.

Could the Ds have been dealing with a younger generation in their family with a similar addiction but because of their experience with their own son would not facilitate or enable that person no mater how much they may have pleaded for financial help thus anger was built up? Maybe SD was the one most firm on not repeating past mistakes.
This is what I have insinuated all along. Now, did SS interview ALL the grandkids?! Maybe there was one sleeping over.

What cross word puzzle did Mrs. D work daily?
AJC?
NY Times?
Did they get a daily paper?
When was it delivered?
Thrown on driveway, driven down the driveway and thrown close to garage, or placed in mailbox?

And when the USPS worker delivered the Saturday mail, was Friday's mail still in the mailbox?

JMO

What cross word puzzle did Mrs. D work daily?
AJC?
NY Times?
Did they get a daily paper?
When was it delivered?
Thrown on driveway, driven down the driveway and thrown close to garage, or placed in mailbox?

And when the USPS worker delivered the Saturday mail, was Friday's mail still in the mailbox?

JMO

For some reason I thought it was the USA Today "Saturday" crossword which was actually delivered on Friday. And, Mrs D usually completed these crossword puzzles in the morning.

Maybe I'm wrong but I that I "heard" this from SS.

For some reason I thought it was the USA Today "Saturday" crossword which was actually delivered on Friday. And, Mrs D usually completed these crossword puzzles in the morning.

We have to narrow the timeline.
Did USA Today get delivered by the mailperson on Friday?

And when was the last time...
1. their computer was logged on? Last email sent? Last email answered?
2. Cellphone called made by Mr. D/ Mrs. D
3. Last time alarm system armed/ unarmed?
4. Last time anyone spoke to either one?
5. Who was the last known person to speak to them?
6. Last credit/ debit card transaction- when/ where?

JMO

I recall reading Mrs. D worked the weekend crossword puzzle in USA Today. The weekend issue is usually delivered on Friday.

FinePrint—we are thinking similar thoughts. I don’t remember hearing SS speak of the grandchildren, and most, if not all, would be young adults. You brought up something I had not considered. Perhaps one of the grands had a substance abuse problem and the elder Dermonds were not helping. It is known, substance abuse issues sometimes run in families. I have always been bothered about Mark Dermond and his untimely death.

IMO

We have to narrow the timeline.
Did USA Today get delivered by the mailperson on Friday?

And when was the last time...
1. their computer was logged on? Last email sent? Last email answered?
2. Cellphone called made by Mr. D/ Mrs. D
3. Last time alarm system armed/ unarmed?
4. Last time anyone spoke to either one?
5. Who was the last known person to speak to them?
6. Last credit/ debit card transaction- when/ where?

JMO

I would assume SS has completed this basic police work, but he hasn’t revealed any of the answers.

I think it's possible that the killer or killers could have visited the home via boat on the Lake and staked out the Dermond's home to get a feel for the area (assuming the killer was not a close neighbor). Maybe be out on the Lake to see when there is not a lot of activity on the Lake, to see when neighbors are not active outside, to get a feel for the Dermond's and their schedule, to see what time is best to "strike." We were in a boat and were really close to the docks at the homes and did not draw any attention. It would have been real easy for someone to pull up to someones dock and walk right up to their home. It gives me chills thinking about someone lying in wait or planning the perfect time to do this...

It was actually really quiet on the Lake while we were there and the homes were really quiet. I didn't see people outside, no kids playing, no pets barking or stirring around or anything. It was February, late afternoon, but it was still a nice day outside.

When I think about the Lake and how "vulnerable" people are to random people having access to their property... I know if I lived there, I'd want a big guard dog. I've had German Shepherds and they would have gone nuts if someone in a boat was as close to the homes as we were. I bet there is a HOA regulations about barking dogs though. But I would feel safer with one, especially after studying this case. LOL

I need to visit again when it is warmer.

Levi,

I appreciate your thoughts and observations as you cruised the lake near the Dermonds. I feel quite certain, this is how the perps arrived and departed.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member