GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all - I'm southern so should just say Hey Yall...Am just checking in and reading everyone's thoughts...a SW??? For real? Sounds promising! With all these criminalists and meetings, I am so hopeful they are onto something. I have just one questions (can't remember everything, have CRS); do they know if Mr. D's body was covered at one time with tarp? Could this have started out in their yard or somewhere on their property? Hope I'm making sense.

Hey, all - I'm southern so should just say Hey Yall...Am just checking in and reading everyone's thoughts...a SW??? For real? Sounds promising! With all these criminalists and meetings, I am so hopeful they are onto something. I have just one questions (can't remember everything, have CRS); do they know if Mr. D's body was covered at one time with tarp? Could this have started out in their yard or somewhere on their property? Hope I'm making sense.

They would know if it had been on or in a tarp. They have not told John Q. Public what they know on that point.

I cant believe the media helicopters aren't up in the air today trying to watch Sills every move to see which home he will go to.....

I just don't think it is a subpoena for documents.

It has to be something more because he specifically mentioned a phone call that brought this all about.

I will bblo!

Please keep the updates coming!:seeya:

Didn't Sills mention yesterday he was waiting for some type of documents or records?

Corrected;

Awareness is the Key! @CIA; https://twitter.com/CIA
CIA's 1st Tweet; 'We cannot confirm nor deny that this is our first tweet' :floorlaugh:

Want to talk to the CIA? Tweet @CIA
Washington Post (blog) ‎- 54 minutes ago
The Central Intelligence Agency is announcing today that it's getting into the social media biz. “@CIA” will be its handle on Twitter

Welcome to the CIA Web Site — Central Intelligence Agency
https://www.cia.gov/
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
This week, the CIA expanded its social media presence with the launch of official social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook. Follow us on Twitter @CIA ...

How long does it take to get a search warrant? I would guess the local judge to be aware of this murder and willing to expedite matters quickly. Or could the search warrant be for a premise out of town or even out of state?

Is it wise for Sills to announce he is getting a search warrant? Wouldn't that be a tip/clue to the criminal?

How long does it take to get a search warrant? I would guess the local judge to be aware of this murder and willing to expedite matters quickly. Or could the search warrant be for a premise out of town or even out of state?

Is it wise for Sills to announce he is getting a search warrant? Wouldn't that be a tip/clue to the criminal?

Length of time depends. First depends on what the Judge is doing....in the middle of a trial, day off fishing, etc. Once they get in front of him, probably no more than 30 minutes. May already have it and are waiting for just the right time to execute it. They may want someone to be at the property when they arrive.

As far as tip/clue, Sills doesn't release any info without thinking through the effect of it being said. He may want the villain to sweat, try to flee, go get the head....who knows. But he has decided that it is in his best interest to disclose that tidbit.

Does anybody think they have the weapon? Would that cause a judge to issue a search warrant for whomever has the weapon?

I think there was gunshot residue found on mr.d.
I believe taking the head was because that bullet is in the head and will lead law enforcement
Right to their door.
All jmo

Can someone please link where Sills said he was getting a SW? I cannot find that bit of info. TIA

Length of time depends. First depends on what the Judge is doing....in the middle of a trial, day off fishing, etc. Once they get in front of him, probably no more than 30 minutes. May already have it and are waiting for just the right time to execute it. They may want someone to be at the property when they arrive.

As far as tip/clue, Sills doesn't release any info without thinking through the effect of it being said. He may want the villain to sweat, try to flee, go get the head....who knows. But he has decided that it is in his best interest to disclose that tidbit.

I am very impressed with Sills so I am hoping he does in fact have something worthy with the search warrant.

To me he has been like a conductor directing an orchestra.

First he took us through the beginning with something to say each day...then we had the quiet period of about 8 days when we heard nothing and were left to speculate.

Then he appears again, on a boat, and starts once again giving information.

I really like this man and I hope he makes an arrest soon.

Those poor folks and their family certainly did not deserve all of this terrible sadness with the murder of two parents.

Thank you for your posts. They are enlightening to those of us unfamiliar with the specifics of the law.

I cant believe the media helicopters aren't up in the air today trying to watch Sills ever move to see which home he will go to.....

I just don't think it is a subpoena for documents.

It has to be something more because he specifically mentioned a phone call that brought this all about.

I will bblo!

Please keep the updates coming!:seeya:

Well what if it's not a home in the community?
What if it not a home in Georgia?

Can someone please link where Sills said he was getting a SW? I cannot find that bit of info. TIA
A 'plausible lead" and "court order" seem to indicate a search warrant, but it's not certain.
The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a “plausible” lead in the Russell and Shirley Dermond murder case – but Sheriff Howard Sills said Friday morning the lead has a “big if” attached to it.

Sheriff’s officials were working on obtaining a court order in connection with that lead.
http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1ef3a3e2-ed8a-11e3-872c-001a4bcf887a.html

The article does not specifically say search warrant. It says "court order" so it could be a subpena or something else. Does anybody know what other types of court orders there are that might be relevant?

Arrest warrant, but I doubt that was what he was referring to.

The article does not specifically say search warrant. It says "court order" so it could be a subpena or something else. Does anybody know what other types of court orders there are that might be relevant?
A court order related to electronic communications.

ETA: I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's an example of a court order issued in a criminal investigation (when there's an "if" factor, and the requirement for probable cause isn't met).
(c) Records Concerning Electronic Communication Service or Remote Computing Service.— (1) A governmental entity may require a provider of electronic communication service or remote computing service to disclose a record or other information pertaining to a subscriber to or customer of such service (not including the contents of communications) only when the governmental entity— (A) obtains a warrant issued using the procedures described in the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure (or, in the case of a State court, issued using State warrant procedures) by a court of competent jurisdiction;
(B) obtains a court order for such disclosure under subsection (d) of this section;
(d) Requirements for Court Order.— A court order for disclosure under subsection (b) or (c) may be issued by any court that is a court of competent jurisdiction and shall issue only if the governmental entity offers specific and articulable facts showing that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the contents of a wire or electronic communication, or the records or other information sought, are relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation. In the case of a State governmental authority, such a court order shall not issue if prohibited by the law of such State...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2703

This is a good explanation.
What's the difference between a subpoena, a search warrant and a court order under ECPA? And what information can a government agency get from Google with each?

It's complex, but here's a summary of the different forms of legal process covered by ECPA:

Subpoena Of the three types of ECPA legal process for stored information, the subpoena has the lowest threshold for a government agency to obtain. In many jurisdictions, including the federal system, there is no requirement that a judge or magistrate review a subpoena before the government can issue it. A government agency can use a subpoena to compel Google to disclose only specific types of information listed in the statute. For example, a valid subpoena for your Gmail address could compel us to disclose the name that you listed when creating the account, and the IP addresses from which you created the account and signed in and signed out (with dates and times). Subpoenas can be used by the government in both criminal and civil cases. On its face, ECPA seems to allow a government agency to compel a communications provider to disclose the content of certain types of emails and other content with a subpoena or an ECPA court order (described below). But Google requires an ECPA search warrant for contents of Gmail and other services based on the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits unreasonable search and seizure.

ECPA Court Order Unlike an ECPA subpoena, obtaining an ECPA court order requires judicial review. To receive an ECPA court order, a government agency must present specific facts to a judge or magistrate demonstrating that the requested information is relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation. With such a court order, a government agency can obtain the same information as a subpoena, plus more detailed information about the use of the account. This could include the IP address associated with a particular email sent from that account or used to change the account password (with dates and times), and the non-content portion of email headers such as the "from," "to" and "date" fields. An ECPA court order is available only for criminal investigations.

Search Warrant The threshold is higher still for an ECPA search warrant. To obtain one, a government agency must make a request to a judge or magistrate and meet a relatively high burden of proof: demonstrating "probable cause" to believe that contraband or certain information related to a crime is presently in the specific place to be searched. A warrant must specify the place to be searched and the things being sought. It can be used to compel the disclosure of the same information as an ECPA subpoena or court order—but also a user's search query information and private content stored in a Google Account, such as Gmail messages, documents, photos and YouTube videos. An ECPA search warrant is available only in criminal investigations. The video below provides an overview of how we review and respond to ECPA search warrants.
https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/userdatarequests/legalprocess/

Hopefully this has somebody shaking in their boots. I hope they prolong it long enough to let them know "we are coming".

I just can't get over how somebody could do such a heinous thing too two old people in the sunset of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB