GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I looked it up and I promise I have never seen it before. Probably in an area where there are pine trees it is more common. But, I will be on the look out for it. :floorlaugh:

clearly ! AND we have plenty of pine trees in GA ! haha

If they could bale peanut husks they'd do it too in GA :floorlaugh:

however, some people do use peanut husks as a garden mulch here in GA, seen it mostly in the south GA area tho

Okay, I looked it up and I promise I have never seen it before. Probably in an area where there are pine trees it is more common. But, I will be on the look out for it. :floorlaugh:

I haven't lived in the piney woods for long. Just to clarify.

IT's a huge money maker ! If you have CRP land, full of pine trees, rake and bale and sale

I'll chime in

Just wanted to say that we can't drive around to the back of our lot on sinclair because it's narrow and because of the set up we have outside, so I end of dragging many a heavy item myself if I have to, bags over my shoulder if I have mulch or something but it's not the weight, it's the manipulation of something that heavy, it's amazing what you can do when you can avoid using all your strenght, i'd say they would drag a body on a tarp down hill, they were'nt concerned abuot damaging anything at that point, referring to dragging something down the steps as opposed to in the yard, of course, if they had dragged something int he straw beds you can see on the pics, anyone that had seen may have thought they were dragging something out there to work in the flower bed area possibly? Or if anyone saw anythign at all, maybe at a glance if anything

Also, at our place, you can't get the boat up to the sea wall as the water is lower than at the dock, gradual incline in the land under the water from front of dock to the seawall, i imagine they'd have had to load anything or anyone at the dock but those lights they have probably dont' emit a lot of light, just really illumate enough light to see where you walk at night, not sure about the pole lamp light at the shore, maybe a little more light, if it was on, if it's solar, probably not a lot of light that anyone could really see anything

We dont' even know if anyone was home across the lake or at the front of the cove near the D's, though in the daylight I'm sure anything could be seen by neighbors

the trees on google are misleading, it's an overhead view
If on the ground, unless leyland cypress type trees, the leaves on trees dont' go all teh way down to the ground, you see tree trunks and open water, ours is that way anyway

:goodpost:

:floorlaugh: For real!? It's just pine needles, raked and bundled in square bales like horse hay !! :floorlaugh:

Pine needles also come in round bales. :floorlaugh:

images

This is what we feed horses and cattle with:

th

And this is a square bale of pine needles:

images

I am more familiar with the alpha bales. Called it hay in the central Texas area. jmo

Just curious, mck16, what type of mulch material is used most in your area?
We use cypress instead of pine straw - just because it lasts longer.
If we could just come up with a purpose for sweet gum balls; hate those things.

Do we know what kind of boat they had? Was it a big one, pontoon, etc? ty

Boats and piers are a whole lot of work and I am sure the Dermonds gave that up long ago.

Up North we put our piers in in the Spring and take them out in the Winter.

I don't know if they do that in GA?

There are pier services that will come and do that job for you but they are expensive and not real reliable. One year they put our pier in...finally...in June and in July it collapsed!

I think in late 80's their water days were pretty much behind them. The boat in the picture might be one they kept for their family when they came to visit and it could also be somebody else's.

When was that picture taken of the boat at the Dermond's pier..anybody know?

I do not believe either Mr or Mrs Dermond would be using that little tippy boat.

I am with you on the sweet gum balls. Hurt when you step on them. They are pretty spray painted at Christmas but don't know any other use. Most people in the area use the pine bark mulch. And I am thinking now that the people I thought were spreading hay were actually spreading the pine straw. I am going to have to check. But, I know I don't want that in my flower beds too many varmints can hide in it. I want just plain old dirt with the plants about two feet off the ground. lol jmo

Pine needles also come in round bales. :floorlaugh:

images

This is what we feed horses and cattle with:

th

And this is a square bale of pine needles:

images

Yep to picture #2. I have ridden the hay baler many times, but we just called it 'hay'. Not alfalfa. Hay bales, hay rides, just hay. :floorlaugh:

Boats and piers are a whole lot of work and I am sure the Dermonds gave that up long ago.

Up North we put our piers in in the Spring and take them out in the Winter.

I don't know if they do that in GA?

There are pier services that will come and do that job for you but they are expensive and not real reliable. One year they put our pier in...finally...in June and in July it collapsed!

I think in late 80's their water days were pretty much behind them. The boat in the picture might be one they kept for their family when they came to visit and it could also be somebody else's.

When was that picture taken of the boat at the Dermond's pier..anybody know?

I do not believe either Mr or Mrs Dermond would be using that little tippy boat.

I don't know what you mean about putting up piers in the spring?? The docks here are permanent structures. Many RP residents keep their boats in the dry storage facilities at one of the marinas. Call ahead and the boat is delivered clean and full of gas to their dock.

But we know the D's sold their boat a couple of years ago.

BTW, the lake is deep in that little inlet.

Here in Ohio we use shredded wood mulch and pine bark chips around our shrubbery and in the flower beds. We do have pine trees with pine needles on the ground underneath, but we don't use that for landscaping purposes around the house.

Quick question:

Do we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Mrs. D was weighted down or did we come to that conclusion based on cryptic statements by Sills, body position, and when her body surfaced?

Thanks in advance. :seeya:

we have no evidence that the body of Mrs. D was weighted down. Only that the sheriff said she was placed where she was found and that he answered one reporter's question during the presser he gave after finding her body about bodies being submerged and natural decomp causing them to fill with gasses and rise to the surface.

The rest has been supposition by sleuths trying to discern the meaning behind those statements.

1. Scorpions love to hide in pine straw in Georgia. That first bite I got 35 years ago after moving to Georgia was quite a shock. They are tiny scorpions.

2. Like I said in a previous thread I moved large pieces- many were 300 lb. +- of slate around my pond by myself( 50+ year old woman) by dragging them on an old pink blanket. It can be done. Grew up in the furniture business- my daddy taught me how to move stuff.

3. I inherited many tarps from my late brother the camper. All very different from different stores. If they have tarp fibers should be identifiable- HD tarps different Lowe's or Walmart or other hardware stores.

4. Where we live in metro Atlanta, landscaping services use tarps to move cut shrubbery,leaves, limbs to their trucks to take to landfill. Not saying landscapers are involved, just that tarps, like machetes, are every where.

Just left the butterfly release at the Chattahoochee Nature Center. It was a beautiful sight after all the murders in our area this week.

we have no evidence that the body of Mrs. D was weighted down. Only that the sheriff said she was placed where she was found and that he answered one reporter's question during the presser he gave after finding her body about bodies being submerged and natural decomp causing them to fill with gasses and rise to the surface.

The rest has been supposition by sleuths trying to discern the meaning behind those statements.

Okay, thanks! I had just seen a few posts that mentioned her being weighted down as if it were a known fact. I have tried to follow but these threads move so fast.

Thank you for clarifying.

I'm still leaning toward this being a thrill kill by an acquaintance with a morbid desire to do these things, someone who saw the Dermonds as easy targets. For some reason, I just don't see this crime as having a close personal motive.

I too am having a hard time seeing this crime as being committed by anyone with a close relationship with the Dermonds. It also feels more random to me. I am still stuck on my theory that the Dermonds were killed spur of the moment because they posed some unknown threat to the perp. That this crime was done in hurried panicked fashion by someone who did so for reasons of self preservation, to keep something hidden from the light of day.

I am wondering if whatever the person was there for to see Shirley and Russell or only Russell, would be in the garage.....and that is why the front door was unlocked, to let this person in, and then maybe Russell and this person went into the garage for whatever reason, like was Russell in the process of selling something that was in the garage? Or did Russell want to show this person something in the garage, or did this person ask Russell that he wanted to see something in Russell's garage, knowing where this all was going to take place. And if it is One person, then this does make sense about going after Shirley then coming back to the garage to remove the head before he disposed of Shirley's body.
IMOO.

ETA:
I want to ask does HOME mean the garage as well?

Yeah I had inquired about that too, maybe RD was selling something or likeyou said

but then why kill him?

useless and will break an ankle ! lol,

you cna use them for christmas crafts, wreaths etc, spray gold and silver ! LOL

I am with you on the sweet gum balls. Hurt when you step on them. They are pretty spray painted at Christmas but don't know any other use. Most people in the area use the pine bark mulch. And I am thinking now that the people I thought were spreading hay were actually spreading the pine straw. I am going to have to check. But, I know I don't want that in my flower beds too many varmints can hide in it. I want just plain old dirt with the plants about two feet off the ground. lol jmo

:floorlaugh:
just saw this post about sweet gum balls, I responded too and almost posted verbatim! haha, those things are pretty but annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3