GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone find it interesting that Sills has reached out to JAX detectives. Sills is most definitely following the money trail.

O/T for the ol' timers...today is Caylee's birthday. Join the old timers to light a candle at http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?217552-Light-a-Candle-by-Your-Computer-Tonight-3/page9

eqy4azyv.jpg

Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
I am watching 20/20 right now on ABC. It is about the arrest of Gary Hilton for the murder of a young female hiker in GA. She was decapitated. Anyway, there was speculation about similar crimes in the area, and they showed a photo of the Dermonds!

IMHO

Seems a little odd that they would mention the Dermonds in a show about Hilton (since he has long been in prison) -- but it's a good thing, IMO, maybe get some more focus on this case.

Sorry everyone. It was not a photo of the Dermonds. I tuned in late, and wasn't familiar with the timeline. Please disregard this post. I'll try to do better next time.

No worries, here, wildebeest. I bet the photo was of the older couple Hilton killed...

No worries wildebeest, and yes Backwoods, the Bryants were the tragic victims of serial killer Gary Hilton (NC-10/21/2007).. Every time I see the photos of Shirley and Russel Dermond, I think of John(80-Attorney/Engineer) and Irene(84-Large Animal Vet/Pioneer in her Field) Bryant. The Dermonds, originally from NJ, and the Bryants NY, had so much in common, in so many ways, and were just living out their golden years enjoying their children and grandchildren, while fulfilling their long awaited bucket lists...until unsuspectingly crossing paths with pure evil..

Although John was abducted and died later from a gun shot wound. Irene was murdered at the site of the attack, and the COD was ruled as blunt force trauma to the head. The following is a very good article about the Bryants. If you substitute the names in the article with the Dermonds', you would think that you were reading about them;

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/tragic-end-for-unique-couple/nQwcq/ (click photo to enlarge)
Jan. 16, 2008 Tragic end for 'unique' couple

Horse Shoe, N.C. --- Irene Bryant loved the outdoors and nature so much she begged a neighbor to call if he ever spotted deer in the area so she could slip outside for a peek.

Her husband John "Jack" Bryant's passion for hiking was so strong that he conquered the entire 2,000-plus miles of the Appalachian Trail, hiking in short stints over a period of years, his dedication never flagging despite pain from an arthritic back.
Even into their 80s, the couple pursued their love of the outdoors, hiking weekly and taking spur-of-the-moment overseas trips to exotic locations. Irene Bryant was 84; her husband would've turned 80 in late October.
<sniped-read more>

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe6f0101cdfaf21c4!6m1!1e1

BB&T midtown. 1355 Peachtree St NE
Yes, yes, yes, that could be it- the bldg Sheriff was coming from in vid clip w Witte.
Pix has the same taalllllll French doors, w many lights and side lights and the awning of glass & brass over the door.
And the Palladian/arch shape on both sides of the door, and actual arch windows out from there, toward corners.
And the stairs. And the balastrudes (term? concrete or marble-like knee-high or waist high fence w urn-shaped supports)

Can anyone find in the still pix, the monument-style sign, between Sheriff & Witte walking toward camera in vid clip?
What about the underground parking garage or delivery area?

Going to look further.

ETA: Yes, this is the building where Witte interviewed Sheriff.
The Peachtree, 1355Peachtree St, NE.
Name of building is on the 'awning' structure above front door.

TYVM, for the PM w this link. Wanted to credit you for this, but not w/out your okay beforehand.

Does anyone find it interesting that Sills has reached out to JAX detectives. Sills is most definitely following the money trail.

No Razz, imo Sheriff Sills reached out to the JAX cold case detectives due to attending the FBI academy in Quantico, VA, with Jacksonville Sheriff John H. Rutherford, and to soften the criticism for not requesting the GBI special agents to assist in the Dermond murder investigation.. Why would SS call in cold case detectives from another state, if solving the Dermond murders case looked very promising?

Seems, Jacksonville has quite a few cold case homicides that they could use some help with themselves..

Jacksonville families seek answers in unsolved homicide cases April 24-2014
Families seek justice for their loved ones
http://compassionatefamilies.org/3/category/unsolved murder/1.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Families whose loved ones were killed violently in Jacksonville held a forum Thursday night with law enforcement to get answers on unsolved homicide cases. The meeting was set up like a question and answer discussion.

The families said they want justice for their loved ones and they want to see it take place at the courthouse. Many of them said they have been waiting too long. Beverly Jenkins represents just one of more than 10 families who are looking for justice. "I'm here tonight to ask questions and get answers," said Jenkins.
Each person wrote their concerns on a sheet of paper for members of law enforcement to answer.

One audience member expressed frustration about calling the detective working her son's homicide case but never getting a response. That detective's supervisor, Sgt. T.K. Waters, responded to the question. "There are a lot of things going on that we have to tend but there is never an excuse for no call back, but what I can do, I will make this pledge to you, that individual and make sure that those calls are being returned," said Waters.

<sniped - read more>

Elderly couple killed, husband beheaded; Florida detectives now helping in Georgia case

The FBI and some Georgia sheriff's investigators have helped in the probe, poring over the case file.
Sills recently called on the expertise of two detectives from the Jacksonville, Florida, sheriff's office's cold-case squad. Sills roomed with Jacksonville Sheriff John H. Rutherford when the two attended the FBI Academy.
The Florida detectives spent a day and a half in Eatonton examining crime-scene photographs and other materials, Sills said.
From the beginning of the investigation, authorities acknowledged that cracking the case might prove difficult.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/florid...da-detectives-help-georgia-case#ixzz39xHThGsc

Georgia Bureau of Investigation> Investigative Division>
https://gbi.georgia.gov/investigative-division
The Investigative Division, under the direction of the Deputy Director for Investigations, is the largest division of the GBI with over 350 employees, working in Regional Offices, Regional Drug Enforcement Offices and other work units that provide specialized services in criminal investigations.
<sniped & BBM - read more>

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe6f0101cdfaf21c4!6m1!1e1

BB&T midtown. 1355 Peachtree St NE
Yes, yes, yes, that could be it- the bldg Sheriff was coming from in vid clip w Witte.
Pix has the same taalllllll French doors, w many lights and side lights and the awning of glass & brass over the door.
And the Palladian/arch shape on both sides of the door, and actual arch windows out from there, toward corners.
And the stairs. And the balastrudes (term? concrete or marble-like knee-high or waist high fence w urn-shaped supports)

Can anyone find in the still pix, the monument-style sign, between Sheriff & Witte walking toward camera in vid clip?
What about the underground parking garage or delivery area?

Going to look further.

ETA: Yes, this is the building where Witte interviewed Sheriff.
The Peachtree, 1355Peachtree St, NE.
Name of building is on the 'awning' structure above front door.

TYVM, for the PM w this link. Wanted to credit you for this, but not w/out your okay beforehand.

You can scan the image right or left and will see the parking garage.

"There are 43 companies that have an address matching 1355 Peachtree Street, Ne Ste. 700 Atlanta, GA 30309"
http://www.bizapedia.com/addresses/1355-PEACHTREE-STREET-NE-ATLANTA-GA-30309.html

I had hoped to find an obvious choice of a branch office of national brokerage firm in the bldg where Witte interviewed Sheriff.
Not yet. There are several tenants in 1355 Peachtree NE, that look like they could be investment-related, thus the source of CD.
Darn. Still looking.

ETA: could be that account statements CD came from Mr&MrsD's BB&T a/c (not saying they had one there, just spec).

I find it interesting that both of the sons live in JAX. Now before anyone has the big one, I am in no way, shape or form accusing the sons. But I have at times thought it could be a business associate of the sons. :moo: :moo:

Interesting that Winne was there to report that SS got the CD. That means SS had him meet him there. SS seems to be talking to someone in the Atl area by directing his interviews to Atl news outlets. ...

Backwoods and DAMIFINO - Yes, it is interesting that this interview was set up in advance. Also, Al66pine, I'm guessing this is the home office of whatever firm Mr. D used; .... why it took 3 months to download that information, the phone analysis either. .... Sills is right that there is usually a monetary gain from most crimes .... Somebody benefits.

....So FBI says it was to send a message....then, if not your theory, must be the money....

.... And Backwoods, you could have a point; the whole interview seemed scripted, thus why they intentionally didn't show the building or the name of the business on the envelope. They must have come to the conclusion (or are trying to weed this idea out) that these murders were done for profit. ...about the phone analysis, too. Will probably be weeks from now at this rate.
BBM and my snips too.

(I am convinced) Witte interviewed Sheriff at the Peachtree, 1355 Peachtree NE, and
there are many tenants listed who could be investment brokerages where the D's had a/c's, or poss at BB&T.
"There are 43 companies that have an address matching 1355 Peachtree Street, Ne Ste. 700 Atlanta, GA 30309"
http://www.bizapedia.com/addresses/1...-GA-30309.html

IIRC, within a week of discovery of Mr D, Sheriff said he had. looked thru all the checks the D's had written for the past __ years.
I thought I heard 2 years, but someone on an early thread said 10 yrs. IDK. No link.

On hearing that way back then, I thought that was a very speedy review of finances and it w/likely take longer than that.
Looks like LE w/be reviewing more now.

Maybe LE needs to review phone records in conjunction w their investment records. Could be enlightening. JMO

I find it interesting that both of the sons live in JAX. Now before anyone has the big one, I am in no way, shape or form accusing the sons. But I have at times thought it could be a business associate of the sons. :moo: :moo:

According to Mr. D's obit, Keith lives in JAX on the east coast, Brad lives in Santa Rosa Beach, in the panhandle. It is a long way from SRB to Jax, about 4 and a half hours by I-10.

Did Sheriff Sills reach out to detectives in Jacksonville for their expertise in solving cold cases or did he follow the money trail??? :twocents:

IMHO

He roomed with one of the detectives, at some point in the past, during training. Guessing they are friends, and he has respect for his skills as an investigator.

more and video at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...s-into-dermond-murder-investigation/13739723/

"Nothing" at the "crime scene"?? If that is even near accurate, I have to wonder if the Dermonds' place was not the MAIN crime scene -- but just the "placement spot" for Mr. Dermond's body.

I just don't know...

Backwoods, imo this interview of Putnam County Sheriff Sills, three months into the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation speaks volumes. Long gone are the days of the dinosaurs...

Did Sheriff Sills reach out to detectives in Jacksonville for their expertise in solving cold cases or did he follow the money trail??? :twocents:

IMHO

He roomed with one of the detectives, at some point in the past, during training. Guessing they are friends, and he has respect for his skills as an investigator.

<sniped - read more>

Elderly couple killed, husband beheaded; Florida detectives now helping in Georgia case

The FBI and some Georgia sheriff's investigators have helped in the probe, poring over the case file.
Sills recently called on the expertise of two detectives from the Jacksonville, Florida, sheriff's office's cold-case squad. Sills roomed with Jacksonville Sheriff John H. Rutherford when the two attended the FBI Academy.
The Florida detectives spent a day and a half in Eatonton examining crime-scene photographs and other materials, Sills said.
From the beginning of the investigation, authorities acknowledged that cracking the case might prove difficult.

http://members.jacksonville.com/new...da-detectives-help-georgia-case#ixzz39xHThGsc

what a horrendous crime, but the Putnam sheriff stated that the MURDER of their son in 2000 (in a drug deal gone bad ) is not related. Give me a break! the file about that murder is on his desk

Afternoon, gang. I was putzing around the internet and saw this comment from a neuro-psychiatrist(?) from Missouri back in May when one of the first articles came out. This was on the Eatonton Messenger. Just thought it was strange, plus I don't know how she could see what file it was. I doubt if I could but makes me want to go back and find that tape. At the same time, you would think, well, of course he should have been looking at that file especially initially. The only thing I saw on the guy that went to jail for the murder (TM) tried to appeal in 2005 & 2006 and was denied both times.

According to Mr. D's obit, Keith lives in JAX on the east coast, Brad lives in Santa Rosa Beach, in the panhandle. It is a long way from SRB to Jax, about 4 and a half hours by I-10.

Oh, so sorry. In all my notes, I have both KD and BD in the JAX area, where the realty Co. and fast food franchises are based. I do not think the family is involved. Never have. I was thinking maybe past business relationships, especially with the new info concerning the 'money angle'.

We are not supposed to quote anything on here about the family, are we? Just saw the only article I've ever seen that mentioned 2 grandchildren. I don't want to post it and get in trouble for it, though.

Oh, so sorry. In all my notes, I have both KD and BD in the JAX area, where the realty Co. and fast food franchises are based. I do not think the family is involved. Never have. I was thinking maybe past business relationships, especially with the new info concerning the 'money angle'.

Imo, the 'money angle' is simply routine in most homicide investigations. Seems that I remember SS stating that most cases of homicides that he has worked there was a money angle.
This was his exact quote; "Unfortunately there's usually a monetary angle to most crime," Sills said.

Imo, Sheriff Sills is on a futile attempt at a snipe hunt, going through the motions, grabbing for straws, etc...while ignoring the obvious in a case that is far from normal, in fact a double homicide which is an anomaly...imo
"Somewhere in their life is the clue that's going to lead us to who killed them," Sills said.

Process of elimination in a normal homicide investigation..."Unbelievable"!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/sheriff-reveals-new-updates-putnam-co-beheading-ca/ngyDy/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megsleuths97