GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the child was in a rear facing seat in the center of the backseat, and Ross accessed the drivers side door and opened it and accessed the drivers seat.

I think you'd have a hard time convincing a jury - especially with filmed re-enactment that he could possibly see Cooper was back there.

If this is all they have, they have nothing that says he purposely left this child in the car.

This is just to secure the warrant. This contains none of the evidence they found from the warrants on his work and home. I never expected this warrant to reveal much.

He wants police to believe he FORGOT about his child in that short distance after having eaten breakfast with him just minutes before? Nope, I'm sorry. I don't believe his brain "convinces him" he dropped him off at daycare then. Not at all.

I guess his brain convinced him that his child wasn't in the car when he opened the passenger side door at lunch time, too. I haven't said anything here until this morning, but I am local, and I about fell over when I read the warrant this morning.

He claimed that Cooper was choking... choked on breakfast, maybe?

I guess his brain convinced him that his child wasn't in the car when he opened the passenger side door at lunch time, too. I haven't said anything here until this morning, but I am local, and I about fell over when I read the warrant this morning.

He claimed that Cooper was choking... choked on breakfast, maybe?

But why would he be charged w/ murder if Cooper died from choking?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/cops-cobb-toddlers-death-investigation-continues-t/ngRfn/
UPDATE: An updated arrest warrant offers new details into the death of a 22-month old toddler. Justin Ross Harris stopped at Chik-fil-A for breakfast and then put his son back in a car seat and the two drove to Harris’ office, according to an arrest warrant obtained Wednesday.

When Harris got to work at a nearby Home Depot corporate office, he left the toddler in the backseat, the warrant states.
“During lunch said accused did access the same vehicle through the driver’s side door to place an object into the vehicle,” the warrant states. “Said accused then closed the door and left the car, re-entering his place of business.”
At 4:16 p.m., Harris left work and drove to an Akers Mill Road shopping center, where he stopped and asked for help for the child.

He wants police to believe he FORGOT about his child in that short distance after having eaten breakfast with him just minutes before? Nope, I'm sorry. I don't believe his brain "convinces him" he dropped him off at daycare then. Not at all.

Respectfully snipped by me. I agree. When I first moved to Atlanta, this was the area of town I lived in. The drive from the Chick-fil-A on Cumberland over to the Home Depot HQ is short, 5 minutes or so (maybe 10 minutes if you get caught by all the red lights). I don't understand how he could've forgotten his child in the car. IMO.

I really think LE has more. We have seen plenty of cases, where someone is suspicious, but are home free while LE does their investigation. There is no reason why they had to arrest him immediately afterwards unless they had a significant amount of evidence.

I remain on the fence..... My heart is so heavy about this. Been praying for truth to be revealed and Gods continued comfort for this family.

Don't know what else to say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why would he be charged w/ murder if Cooper died from choking?

Witnesses say he pulled into the parking lot and told multiple people his son was choking, not that he had left him in the hot car.

I think the poster was just being sarcastic.

ETA: I wonder if they will release the warrants of what they were looking for in the office. I also read that they did 2 search warrants on his home. I knew this particular warrant would have little. I am interested in the other warrants, that would contain the actual evidence they are looking for!

This makes me feel sick.

Here is a photo of how this child fits in his car seat. The read carseat cushion comes out on both sides, and the headrest portion of the carseat extends several inches higher than Cooper's head.

It's unlikely anyone seeing that carseat from behind could see a child.

http://*************************/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/d37.jpg

Link doesn't work.

With that said, it does not matter to me if he couldn't see from the front. I have a feeling the LE has much more. Not only that, I don't for a second believe he can forget his son in between getting breakfast with him at a restaurant and going to work in a matter of minutes. The boy wasn't asleep, we know that now.

Jodie Fleischer ‏@jodiewsb 1m
New warrant filed today says Cobb father went back to car at lunch & left toddler there. Watch @RossCavittWSB on #wsbtv at noon

This is a total aside from the new topic of this thread, but if this has literally happened to you twice that you've forgotten the baby was in the backseat, it sounds like you're at risk for leaving her. If you reached your destination during one of those stretches of time when you didn't know she was in the car, and she sat silently waiting for you to come around and get her out, you could lose her. I don't know what strategy you want to use to make sure you don't end up parking while you don't remember you have her, but I wouldn't put her in the car again without doing something that is infallible.

I'm vigilant about child safety so I'm a checker and re-checker. But, I'm also aware that it can happen to anyone. :(

This is an excellent read that someone posted way back in the beginning somewhere - if you have time I highly recommend it for everyone, it really opened my eyes. It is full of stats, true stories and examples.

What kind of person forgets a baby?

The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.

Last year it happened three times in one day, the worst day so far in the worst year so far in a phenomenon that gives no sign of abating.

The facts in each case differ a little, but always there is the terrible moment when the parent realizes what he or she has done, often through a phone call from a spouse or caregiver. This is followed by a frantic sprint to the car. What awaits there is the worst thing in the world.

Each instance has its own macabre signature. One father had parked his car next to the grounds of a county fair; as he discovered his son’s body, a calliope tootled merrily beside him. Another man, wanting to end things quickly, tried to wrestle a gun from a police officer at the scene. Several people -- including Mary Parks of Blacksburg -- have driven from their workplace to the day-care center to pick up the child they’d thought they’d dropped off, never noticing the corpse in the back seat.

Then there is the Chattanooga, Tenn., business executive who must live with this: His motion-detector car alarm went off, three separate times, out there in the broiling sun. But when he looked out, he couldn’t see anyone tampering with the car. So he remotely deactivated the alarm and went calmly back to work.

What kind of person forgets a baby?

Here is a photo of how this child fits in his car seat. The read carseat cushion comes out on both sides, and the headrest portion of the carseat extends several inches higher than Cooper's head.

It's unlikely anyone seeing that carseat from behind could see a child.

http://*************************/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/d37.jpg

So he remembered to feed Cooper, drove a short distance to work, immediatly forgot about just feeding both of them, went to his car at noon, nothing jogs his memory. Not buying it.:twocents:

So Cooper was alive that morning. I thought that perhaps there was an accident at home. If Harris intended to kill his son, wouldn't he be charged with 1st degree murder?

Sunshine, there was a discussion yesterday afternoon in this thread that a body immediately evacuates the bowels and then would also smell dead, so when Ross got in the car he would have noticed an overwhelming odor.

That's just not true, in most cases, especially cases of small, clean otherwise healthy children who died suddenly.

I don't discount that it was some kind of "mistake," , but I also think there is something seriously wrong with either the brain, parental instincts or priorities of someone who could forget about their child for that length of time, particularly given the "memory-jogger" of going out to the last place you saw your child a few hours later! I'm sorry he felt so desperate or so perfect that he had to lie, but if you allow these incidents to to go unpunished it becomes the perfect "excuse" for someone who WANTS to get rid of a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow