GA - The death of Frederick Williams taser-related?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The D.A. protected the officers. It is that simple. Such protection is very common in southern states (and in various states outside of the south as well). No one in the D.A's office or LE is ever at fault in cases such as this one -- just ask Mike Nifong.

All the family has now are horrific memories and a wrongful death suit.
:( This makes me so sad, angry and distrustful. :( It's frustrating if you can't do anything to make a difference, too - that's why sometimes I'd rather not read these cases. :doh:

:doh: Why, oh why, did I click and watch that whole 22 minute video?! :doh: I'm soooo confused, saddened and angry right now.

I don't understand the video - I'm left with a million questions... what on earth were they doing to him near the beginning, when they first brought him into the room - there are tons of LE huddled around him, doing something to him - he's already in handcuffs (behind his back) at this point - what are they poking and prodding at him for? I don't get it - what are they trying to do??? I've never been arrested - is this standard? Are they patting him down for weapons or something?? Wouldn't that have already been done if he's in handcuffs? I'm confused.

What's with the cop behind him - looks like he's choking the poor guy with his hold around his neck, and the guy at this point is not moving. Why did they feel they needed that many people to bring in one person? Is that standard?

I can't really tell on the video when he's being tasered, but if his hands were already restrained behind him and they had that many people there with arms and legs holding him down, I don't understand the need for him to be tasered. How can cops really think that someone who is already restrained would CALM down when being inflicted with pain? It would be only natural to react and move about when you're being hurt - I don't understand the logic there at all.

I am also shocked at how long it seemed to take for them to realize there was a problem - it appeared on the video that it wasn't JUST LE there, I saw a guy that wasn't in a police uniform and he had a stethoscope - why were they trying to find a pulse and feel his heart time and time again when they could've used the stethoscope?? :waitasec: Later in the video they do try to help him, but it's medical personnel and not the same LE who brought him in.

Why was it being videotaped? Why didn't they keep the video on the guy to show what was happening to him (especially when they were trying to revive him). ?

I do not understand why the video wasn't shown to the grand jury - that just seems like a no-brainer to me - it's evidence to what exactly happened. It should've been shown and people should've been brought up on charges, IMO.

I'm saddened because there was no justice for this man and his poor family was left devastated. It's an old case and there's nothing I can do about it and that makes me angry. Prayers for the family he left behind.

I think I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand now. Oh darn, I can't do that - I still have to go catch up on Chester Stiles case. I'm praying they've caught that scum by now.
To my dearest SieSie,:blowkiss:
When arrested persons or brought in as an incap were brought into the facility where I worked, we had to pat search them prior to going into the facility. If they are combative, they are taken into a cell and are still handcuffed until they are under control. Normally several Officers are present for the intake.
The medical staff is there also when a person is brought in. They ones you saw were facility medical staff. Also any use of force has to be taped on video. Also anytime a person is put in the restraint chair, it has to be filmed.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

When arrested persons or brought in as an incap were brought into the facility where I worked, we had to pat search them prior to going into the facility. If they are combative, they are taken into a cell and are still handcuffed until they are under control. Normally several Officers are present for the intake.
The medical staff is there also when a person is brought in. They ones you saw were facility medical staff. Also any use of force has to be taped on video. Also anytime a person is put in the restraint chair, it has to be filmed.

dark_shadows

WHY was he ARRESTED?

WHY was he ARRESTED?
Dearest AfterMidnight,:blowkiss:
I do not know if Mr. Williams was arrested or brought in as a "John Doe", that is what an incap is refered as. (they are not charged with a crime, but brought in for their safety or the public safety.

I will have to look more to see why he was placed there.

The video has been on the net for months and I just now saw it. I was not able to view the entire video.

All my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

This article states that he was thought to have assaulted an Officer;
link
“It appears as though the officers were upset and thought in error that Deacon Williams had injured a colleague. It appeared that they were purposed to teach him a lesson at the jail and, in so doing, they killed him,” Johnson said.

Even though the other article I posted states that Mr. Williams sister said the It was her nephew that hit the Officer, not Mr. Williams.
This article is from 2005 and it has the video, so the video has been there longer than I thought.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Dearest AfterMidnight,:blowkiss:
I do not know if Mr. Williams was arrested or brought in as a "John Doe", that is what an incap is refered as. (they are not charged with a crime, but brought in for their safety or the public safety.

I will have to look more to see why he was placed there.

The video has been on the net for months and I just now saw it. I was not able to view the entire video.

All my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

I found out why he was placed there:

“He was practically beaten to death at his home before he got to the jail,” Railey continued. “His wife had called 911 and asked for paramedics to be sent over to the house. She called to get him stabilized. Instead, they sent a police officer. His wife didn’t understand why they sent the police instead of medics. Then his nine year old son called again, asking them to, ‘Send the truck with the medicine,’ which I think he was referring to an ambulance.
“When the police officer showed up, he remarked, ‘I’ve got this,’ even though the wife kept telling him that he could not handle Fred without the help of medics. At that point, the policeman took his stick or baton and tried to hit my nephew. The hits were blocked, and then my nephew took the stick away from the policeman and hit him in the nose. At that point, the policeman issued an “officer down code” and 15 squad cars with some 20 officers arrived,” Railey said. “He was badly beaten and near death before he reached the jail.”
http://www.wingcomltd.com/Articles/taser.htm

I realize not all officers are bad, but. . .there are enough to turn me against LE as a group. Actually, I've known several personally (one in family) and none of them stuck to the letter of the law. Some were downright dangerous.

I've often, of late, asked myself where I/we/us would be without the police holding the line between us and the criminals. In the old days I would have said the police are the only thing keeping us from anarchy. Now. . .I believe my odds of survival are about even between the criminals and the police. Yes, my opinion has sunk that low.

I've done a lot of reading on these boards and there are very few threads where the police come out looking good. I believe they are hiring control freaks, narcisists, and sociopaths, sticking them in uniforms, handing them a gun, a baton, and a tazer, and covering up when they "go to it".

With All Due Respect,
AfterMidnight

This is what happened that day;

The date is May 25, 2004. The Williams family is at home watching the “Oprah” show. Mr. Williams begins to have an epilepsy seizure. “The type of seizure that he had experienced would either make him fall, jerk, weak or delusional. This particular day, he became delusional,” explained Mr. Johnson. “He started talking about devils taking his money, planning to kill him and destroy his family. In his delusional state, Mr. Williams began to implicate his wife in the plot. He became angry with her and chased her around the house. Scared and confused, Mrs. Williams runs out of the house with their children, ages 1-9.”
Mr. Williams stands in the front yard and continues his delusional state. His 9-year-old son calls 911 and explains that his father is sick and did not take his medicine. The son pleads with 911 to send a “the truck with the medicine.” Mrs. Williams then calls 911 and reiterates her husband’s medical condition.
Moments later, the first officer arrives. Mrs. Williams and a deacon from her church explain that Mr. Williams needs his medication.
The officer begins to shout at Mr. Williams to quiet down and get back in the house. The officer then strikes Mr. Williams two or three times. A scuffle ensues and the officer receives an abrasion to his nose. The officer pulls his gun and calls for backup, radioing “officer down.”
Fifteen to 20 police cars come from the City of Lawrenceville and the Sheriff’s Department of Gwinnett County. An ambulance arrives and treats the injured police officer, not Mr. Williams who is seen being carried off to jail.

This is the link from 2005;
link

Williams had been arrested on domestic violence charges

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

From the last link I posted;
(5) At the jail, while still hog-tied and securely bound, Mr. Williams is tasered at least 5 times according to the autopsy reports. I say at least 5 time because not every taser attack results in an identifiable burn mark. There are mounted cameras at the jail and an officer reportedly had a hand held camcorded to record the entire ordeal. Of course, at this point, Gwinnett has refused to provide either of these recordings. Gwinnett County justifies the tasering under these conditions because according to another written report by a senior officer at the jail, Mr. Williams was reportedly thrashing and jerking his body upon arrival at the jail. Nowhere in this second report does the senior officer indicate that Mr. Williams attacks any of the officers, throws a punch, kick, bite, or anything; nonetheless, Gwinnett County officials, in the media, justifies the MURDER of this young father, husband, only child, deacon, friend, etc., because his apparent thrashing and jerking was "combative" while he is still hog-tied and securely bound. In fact, the senior officer records in his report that Mr. Williams is conscious at least for a moment, and utters his last and only words "PLEASE DON'T KILL ME." Upon arrival of Mr. Williams' body at the hospital, Doctors record that there were plastic instruments that were apparently used to hog-tied Mr. Williams at his house. Doctors' examinations revealed acute with suspicion of chronic renal failure, negligible brain activity, negligible pulse, and negligible blood pressure. His hands and feet were cold and capillary refill was poor. He had no eye movements, no muscular movements and his entire body was flaccid. His pupils were dilated 6 mm and fixed. Doctors' impression were that there was cardiac arrest, brain hemorrhage, pulmonary embolus and/or seizure. Mr. Williams reportedly lost all pulses at about 1948 hours. He had no gag response.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

What in the world is going on? I just got done watching a clip on the news showing a 15 year old girl getting tasered and punched in the face by the Police officer. She was also begging...I can't say what she did to cause this because I missed that part of the clip but what I did see made me feel sick.
Sadie...that girl deserved what she got and more. She was fighting and bit him. I saw the WHOLE ,....not just a clip of it on the news. She is NOT a victim like this person was.

dark_shadows
Thanks for your reply, d_s! I swear, you are the sweetest poster in the world. :blowkiss:

Anyway, I bolded one of your comments above - do you think he was being combative when they used the taser on him? Just curious about your opinion. I can't quite tell exactly when the taser was being used, but he didn't look very combative in ANY of the video that I saw (and I watched the full 22 minutes).

Granted, I didn't see how he was acting BEFORE he came in - but reading other people's comments about their experiences with people who had seizures and their demeanor afterwards, it makes me sad to think that this was handled soooo poorly that it cost an innocent man his life.

Respect given right back to ya, d_s!! :D Stay safe.

Thanks for your reply, d_s! I swear, you are the sweetest poster in the world. :blowkiss:

Anyway, I bolded one of your comments above - do you think he was being combative when they used the taser on him? Just curious about your opinion. I can't quite tell exactly when the taser was being used, but he didn't look very combative in ANY of the video that I saw (and I watched the full 22 minutes).

Granted, I didn't see how he was acting BEFORE he came in - but reading other people's comments about their experiences with people who had seizures and their demeanor afterwards, it makes me sad to think that this was handled soooo poorly that it cost an innocent man his life.

Respect given right back to ya, d_s!! :D Stay safe.
To my very dearest SieSie,:blowkiss:
I did not see the entire video, for some reason the video player was not working well and I gave up when the thing stopped when a nurse was performing CPR. It appeared to me that the Sheriff was using the tazor on Mr. Williams stomach while he was on his back on the floor. I could be wrong because the video was skipping, stopping and then not playing for me. It appeared that the tazer was being used constant. You are supposed to wait before giving bursts because the tazer does that on its own. Williams was on his back with multiple Officers on and around him. Due to the fact that he was delusional prior to 911 being called, there was no way, in my opinion that Mr. Williams was aware of his surroundings, much less respond to commands being ordered to him. The mindset that he was in at home due to the seizure and lack of medication, proves that the commands to him were foreign to him. He was seeing devils, and he thought that his own loving wife was part of the devil's work to besige him. So I can only imagine what he thought when he saw the Officers at his home and in the facility.

dark_shadows

This is what happened that day;

The date is May 25, 2004. The Williams family is at home watching the “Oprah” show. Mr. Williams begins to have an epilepsy seizure. “The type of seizure that he had experienced would either make him fall, jerk, weak or delusional. This particular day, he became delusional,” explained Mr. Johnson. “He started talking about devils taking his money, planning to kill him and destroy his family. In his delusional state, Mr. Williams began to implicate his wife in the plot. He became angry with her and chased her around the house. Scared and confused, Mrs. Williams runs out of the house with their children, ages 1-9.”
Mr. Williams stands in the front yard and continues his delusional state. His 9-year-old son calls 911 and explains that his father is sick and did not take his medicine. The son pleads with 911 to send a “the truck with the medicine.” Mrs. Williams then calls 911 and reiterates her husband’s medical condition.
Moments later, the first officer arrives. Mrs. Williams and a deacon from her church explain that Mr. Williams needs his medication.
The officer begins to shout at Mr. Williams to quiet down and get back in the house. The officer then strikes Mr. Williams two or three times. A scuffle ensues and the officer receives an abrasion to his nose. The officer pulls his gun and calls for backup, radioing “officer down.”
Fifteen to 20 police cars come from the City of Lawrenceville and the Sheriff’s Department of Gwinnett County. An ambulance arrives and treats the injured police officer, not Mr. Williams who is seen being carried off to jail.

This is the link from 2005;
link

Williams had been arrested on domestic violence charges

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

When you are trained in the use of a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

wait? so he was arrested for having an epileptic seizure? What on earth? There must be more - do we have any additional details?

Those officers are a disgrace.

gooniequeen, I believe everyone knows that the man was in the South.......GA, and he was black. The ONLY reason.
I hope these cops rot in hell!

xxxxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama
xxxxoooo
mama:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I have a friend who has Grand Mal seizures and she has no memory of the incidents during the seizure and can get very aggitated. Thank god she doesn't have them that often.
As for these officers here, they make it look bad for those officers out there who are actually good people. I have a friend who has been an officer (and sgt before retiring then returning to work) for over 20 years, and she is one of the most caring, respectful people. These bumbling fools that are so quick to tazer or shoot people, make the really good LE look bad. We need to hear more stories of the good things involving LE so there's more of a balance. It's so often the bad things come out (which they need to) yet everyone has to keep in mind, there are those who went for the badge because they are sincere and truly want to help people.
This case in GA should never have happened. LE needs to be trained how to deal with these situations so hopefully they can act accordingly and not in a violent manner.

I have a friend who has Grand Mal seizures and she has no memory of the incidents during the seizure and can get very aggitated. Thank god she doesn't have them that often.
As for these officers here, they make it look bad for those officers out there who are actually good people. I have a friend who has been an officer (and sgt before retiring then returning to work) for over 20 years, and she is one of the most caring, respectful people. These bumbling fools that are so quick to tazer or shoot people, make the really good LE look bad. We need to hear more stories of the good things involving LE so there's more of a balance. It's so often the bad things come out (which they need to) yet everyone has to keep in mind, there are those who went for the badge because they are sincere and truly want to help people.
This case in GA should never have happened. LE needs to be trained how to deal with these situations so hopefully they can act accordingly and not in a violent manner.

They are trained. This was no a boat propellor. It was a shark attack.

LE wanted revenge for what they perceived to be a guy who resisted arrest. So they ganged up and decided to torture him. That's standard stuff.

The D.A. should have prosecuted all of the officers involved. Anyone can see that.

Given that did not happen, the Feds should have moved into this case on civil rights violations.

This case really stinks in every way possible.

Some departments are really not trained in handling certain situations, though. Many are just starting now in learning how to handle mentally ill individuals. Handling epileptics- well i'm not sure if there is even training in those situations.
I do agree with you that it was a shark attack as they perceived he had hit one of their own. (it was the nephew that did).
Hopefully the family will win a civil suit if the officers involved don't go to trial for this.

Like every profession there are good cops and bad cops. The problem is your life may depend on who shows up to your call. That is wrong. We should be able to count on protection from LE.
Personally, I am leery of our cops. Most of local LE treat the kids like crap. That increases my fear for my son. He is 20,he is epileptic and he gets agitated. Not a good combo and could cost him his life. I don't think I should have to have that worry.
This poor guy should have gotten a shot of atavan and put to bed.

LE wanted revenge for what they perceived to be a guy who resisted arrest. So they ganged up and decided to torture him. That's standard stuff.

The D.A. should have prosecuted all of the officers involved. Anyone can see that.

Given that did not happen, the Feds should have moved into this case on civil rights violations.

I agree 100% across the board.

I couldnt agree more. If they can demand justice in Florida for the juvenile that was mistreated by the drill sargents and the nurse who stood by watching it and did nothing for over 20 minutes then this man's family needs to keep up the pressure with media exposure about this case. If he were in my family I would be contacting every national and local news media to bring it to the attention of the public as well as contacting my government representatives.

This case along with the tape should go to a Grand Jury and let the GJ decide what they think their community should do about the way this man was treated.

If not it sends a message that police officers can do as they please without any accountability when their actions were very wrong.

imoo

To my dearest Wudge,:blowkiss:
I just reread the posts on here and saw that I did not thank-you for starting this thread. I thought that I did. Please accept my belated thank-you.

I cannot even imagine the horror that Mr. Williams felt when he was at home and then going through what he did at the facility. His last words are very haunting. An article stated that he lived for 2 days after the incident.

I am learning alot from your thread here.

This is an article I found when I was researching information on your thread;
Autistic Teen Tasered in Calif. 9/20/07

TUSTIN, Calif. - Sheriff's officials defended their use of a Taser stun gun to subdue an autistic teenager who left a social services center where he was being treated. "It was necessary," sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said in defense of the use of a Taser stun gun to subdue 15-year-old Taylor Karras.

Here is another about a diabetic man being tasered in Texas 6/20/07;
Texas cops taser diabetic seizure man

A Texas man who called 911 to request medical assistance for a diabetic seizure earned a tasering from local cops for his trouble, the Waxahachie Daily Light reports.
Allen Nelms, 52, was suffering said seizure "during the early morning hours of April 28 when his girlfriend, Josie Edwards, called 911 to request paramedics".
A police officer duly turned up at the house on Waxahachie's east side, "inquired as to what was going on", then called for back-up. Shortly after, and as Nelms was "in his bed in the couple's bedroom", cops "burst in with their guns drawn and yelling at him to get on the floor".

dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298