Found Deceased GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Call me naive, but I don't get the big deal about the neighbor having Timothy's phone number. We all have each other's phone number in our area of the neighborhood. We get each other's mail and paper when any of us travel.

We note any unusual activity. Some of us even remind our neighbors by text if we notice their garage door still open late at night.

In short, we watch out for each other's property. I don't understand why there is a significance to his neighbor having his phone number, even if she is the man's wife. Perhaps she is at home more often, and finds it easier to keep tabs on Timothy's property.

The only thing that bothers me about Timothy's comment asking her to delete his phone number is that he is saying to delete his phone number! That sounds like he is not planning on needing it anymore.

THAT is what is worrisome and noteworthy to me about this whole episode.

I bet the neighbors are sorry they ever said a word about it. They never dreamed it would blow up into such a big deal. The very fact they even mentioned it at all makes me believe it was totally innocent.

I can't help but put myself in her shoes too. If any of my neighbors turned up missing I worry I'd be looked at side-eyed too, since I have all their numbers.

I know one thing for sure. I'd keep my mouth shut about it...

JMO

I totally relate to what you say regarding neighborhoods... I'm married, and I'm known to feel very sorry for widowers and bachelors who are starving (give them baked goods from time to time) and usually offer to put their garbage bins out/back when they're away on business trips, etc. My husband is totally fine with all this, but I swear this thread has made me feel like I may be looked at as a hussy! (JK...I figure we need a laugh).:giggle:

P.S. My hubby was sitting next to me as I typed this post and happened to see it -- he saw the original word "tramp" that I typed (and laughed) - then sweetly suggested I may want to use the word "hussy" instead. Right...because hussy sounds so much better. LOL!

Call me naive, but I don't get the big deal about the neighbor having Timothy's phone number. We all have each other's phone number in our area of the neighborhood. We get each other's mail and paper when any of us travel.

We note any unusual activity. Some of us even remind our neighbors by text if we notice their garage door still open late at night.

In short, we watch out for each other's property. I don't understand why there is a significance to his neighbor having his phone number, even if she is the man's wife. Perhaps she is at home more often, and finds it easier to keep tabs on Timothy's property.

The only thing that bothers me about Timothy's comment asking her to delete his phone number is that he is saying to delete his phone number! That sounds like he is not planning on needing it anymore.

THAT is what is worrisome and noteworthy to me about this whole episode.

I bet the neighbors are sorry they ever said a word about it. They never dreamed it would blow up into such a big deal. The very fact they even mentioned it at all makes me believe it was totally innocent.

I can't help but put myself in her shoes too. If any of my neighbors turned up missing I worry I'd be looked at side-eyed too, since I have all their numbers.

I know one thing for sure. I'd keep my mouth shut about it...

JMO

I don't think it's a big deal she had his number. I find it strange that the neighbor told the news about the conversation. If it happened that way, I would have reported it to LE but not spoken to the news. But that is just me. Some people have no qualms about telling the news anything and everything. Some people are eager for their 15 minutes of fame no matter how they get it. Then there is the small segment of people who would go on the news just to get their side of the story out there before anyone else does. I'm not accusing the neighbors of anything but I do think the reactions of the officer who gave the press conference when asked about the neighbor's story may be a piece of this puzzle. IMO he was not pleased to answer questions about the neighbors' statements and seemed to be very careful when he answered. If this is a case where LE suspects suicide or a mental breakdown would they be so concerned about the details of the neighbor's conversation getting out? I'm not sure.

I totally relate to what you say regarding neighborhoods... I'm married, and I'm known to feel very sorry for widowers and bachelors who are starving (give them baked goods from time to time) and usually offer to put their garbage bins out/back when they're away on business trips, etc. My husband is totally fine with all this, but I swear this thread has made me feel like I may be looked at as a hussy! (JK...I figure we need a laugh).:giggle:

Totally agree, my only concern with the neighbor and the phone number is the request to delete it.

If he said delete it because they won’t need it, why only say this to them? Was it a cry for help? Etc...

I would love more context from the neighbor but unfortunately we don’t have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a big deal she had his number. I find it strange that the neighbor told the news about the conversation. If it happened that way, I would have reported it to LE but not spoken to the news. But that is just me. Some people have no qualms about telling the news anything and everything. Some people are eager for their 15 minutes of fame no matter how they get it. Then there is the small segment of people who would go on the news just to get their side of the story out there before anyone else does. I'm not accusing the neighbors of anything but I do think the reactions of the officer who gave the press conference when asked about the neighbor's story may be a piece of this puzzle. IMO he was not pleased to answer questions about the neighbors' statements and seemed to be very careful when he answered. If this is a case where LE suspects suicide or a mental breakdown would they be so concerned about the details of the neighbor's conversation getting out? I'm not sure.

Perfectly stated IMO.

Without knowing what the details of his conversations with his family that weekend, of course, I don't find it strange that the relative did not enter Tim's home. I think that could be a difficult decision. He's a grown man, and I can understand why they might be hesitant to invade his privacy. It's hard for me to judge that decision too much without more context.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Also a good point, and it may be that the parents just asked them to drive by and see if things looked “normal.” From what we know, it seems that maybe from the outside...they did. If the relative was asked to check on HIM and did not see him or rang the bell and didn’t get an answer, maybe that’s what got the parents on the road. Again — we just don’t know enough details. :(

After Cunningham's disappearance, reports surfaced based on a statement from an Atlanta police officer that Cunningham had been told he would not be getting a promotion before he went missing.*Schuchat pushed back on the*officer's statement.
"As many of his colleagues in the USPHS have pointed out, this information is incorrect. In fact, he received an early promotion/exceptional proficiency promotion to Commander effective July 1, 2017," she wrote.**

"We have not given up hope that he will soon be found," Schuchat wrote. "If Tim reads this message, we hope you come home soon."

The CDC said it would continue to work*with the Atlanta police department to solve the mystery of*Cunningham's disappearance.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.news...m-update-cdc-director-speaks-out-840827?amp=1

The Atlanta Police Department is standing by statements that a missing scientist was recently passed over for a promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, despite a recent denial by the agency's top official.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ntist-was-passed-over-for-promotion?_amp=true

<modsnip> Sometimes a denial has unintended consequences.

Totally agree, my only concern with the neighbor and the phone number is the request to delete it.

If he said delete it because they won’t need it, why only say this to them? Was it a cry for help? Etc...

I would love more context from the neighbor but unfortunately we don’t have it.

Me too. Makes me kinda hope "arta" bumps into the neighbor and he's feeling super chatty :wink: (who is, along with his wife, probably now hiding in their house).

***I'm in no way suggesting WSers hunt down the neighbors! Don't want to cause us problems on the thread***:smile:

Also, asking to have his number removed from her phone feeds into the narrative that Tim was "confused." The neighbors say they don't understand the reason for the request. So is Tim confused or are we being encouraged to believe that. Tim is not here to speak for himself.

JMO

The neighbors both said they didn't understand the reason for his request ?

Concerning "conspiracies", I have followed quite a few cases here, over the years. But I came to the conclusion long ago that most crimes have very mundane motives. They are pretty much never conspiracies, but rather they are about money, sex, drugs, or some combo of those things. I recall a couple of other cases of youngish single guys disappearing, and leaving their phones D/L etc behind, and in both cases it was likely thought to be suicide. IDK here, I still think it might be foul play, but jmo

I agree. I also wonder, though, why both neighbors wouldn't have had the number ? I wonder who walked Tim's dog when he was gone all day at work ?

I think they were picking up that something wasn't right with him in their phone conversations

This is very possible. I was very affected by the disappearance and death of Adam Gilbertson discussed in another thread here and included several paragraphs about it in a weekly letter to my mother. She called the night she got the letter, and though she did not say why she was calling, I know it was because she picked up on how unusual it was for me to write about someone I didn't even know and was just checking up on me. Family often knows when something is off, even if they can't describe exactly why they think so.

I hear what you're saying, and you've worded it well. Good explanation of your thoughts.

However, myself, I still don't attach THAT particular interpretation to it. I doubt if the neighbors sought out the news media on their own.

I could be wrong, but I see it more of a situation where the news media turned up in the neighborhood. Maybe even going door-to-door to try to get some first-person comments about Timothy.

If so, we don't know what the specific questions were, but I would imagine the neighbors were asked when was the last time they saw or spoke to Timothy, and what did he say? Did he say anything remarkable, memorable, or odd?

I believe many people want to be helpful in an investigation. So if the neighbor's husband was asked that by a reporter, I can easily see him replying off the cuff, that YES, he saw Timothy the day before he disappeared and Timothy did say something odd. He told him to tell his wife to delete his phone number in her phone.

Though it may not have been wise to talk to the media, I can see why he would answer that way if his main concern was WHY would Timothy not be needing his number anymore?

Maybe the neighbor didn't get a chance to ask Timothy to elaborate. Timothy may have tossed the comment at him while he was getting in his automobile to leave.

I keep thinking if the neighbor was upset about his wife having Timothy's number, the neighbor would have made every effort to clarify it with Timothy as soon as he could. Most men would! I can't imagine letting that go if he had any doubts about his wife and Timothy.

But it is my belief that the neighbor was only repeating the comment because he wondered why Timothy would no longer be needing his phone number.

I don't see it as the neighbors trying to get attention. I think they were genuinely wanting to help.

As for LE, yes I saw the flinching reaction at the press conference. That too was not a slam dunk regarding a questionable relationship, in my opinion.

I saw it more that they didn't appreciate the question because it was a part of their investigation. Not because the neighbor's wife had Timothy's phone number, but because it revealed ( to me ) that he may likely have mental health issues.

I doubt if LE wanted that out there to the public. They want to be in control of what is released. And when.

This is all my opinion only. I may be wrong. But I just don't get the automatic assumption that something is rotten about this specifically.

I do feel certain the neighbors wish they had never opened their mouths. I bet they would agree with you now too. They should only have spoken with LE about this...

JMO

I agree. I also wonder, though, why both neighbors wouldn't have had the number ? I wonder who walked Tim's dog when he was gone all day at work ?

Honestly, he might be like my husband. It's not flattering to say but he's not a people person. He will help out any neighbor at any time, but he does not initiate contact on his own as a rule.

If they're all outside, he speaks and is friendly but I promise you, he does NOT have any of their phone numbers. He knows I DO, so he doesn't worry about it. He also is not the least bit concerned that I have all of the phone numbers.

Too, as long as one person has the contact information, why would both people need it?

JMO

Honestly, he might be like my husband. It's not flattering to say but he's not a people person. He will help out any neighbor at any time, but he does not initiate contact on his own as a rule.

If they're all outside, he speaks and is friendly but I promise you, he does NOT have any of their phone numbers. He knows I DO, so he doesn't worry about it. He also is not the least bit concerned that I have all of the phone numbers.

Too, as long as one person has the contact information, why would both people need it?

JMO

I wonder if she walked the dog for him ?

A woman’s (Laneica Nelson) body was found on Feb 14, where the location appears to be approx 5 miles away from Tim’s house. Can someone more familiar with the area double check this distance for me please?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/missing-cdc-employee-timothy-cunningham-update-cdc-director-speaks-out-840827%3famp=1[/url]

The Atlanta Police Department is standing by statements that a missing scientist was recently passed over for a promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, despite a recent denial by the agency's top official.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ntist-was-passed-over-for-promotion?_amp=true

This matters. I cannot totally put a finger on why, but there's something to be said about this conflict between the police department and CDC.

A woman&#8217;s (Laneica Nelson) body was found on Feb 14, where the location appears to be approx 5 miles away from Tim&#8217;s house. Can someone more familiar with the area double check this distance for me please?

They are about six miles apart and in vastly different areas of ATL, but they&#8217;re almost directly connected by Bolton Rd.

Ok....a whole lot of speculating on my part here - I'm thinking that the reason he didn't get the new position was because whoever did the hiring had pre-picked who they wanted in the position. The posting for the new position (even if it was a lateral move) was just a formality to make everything seem on the up and up should there be a legal inquiry. (I work for government and have seen this happen over and over again.) The whole thing probably pissed Tim off to no end, hence the meeting on Monday. A lot of bs was probably spouted to try to get him thinking it all wasn't predetermined, but he saw through it. He might have been angry about favoritism on the job to start with and this was the icing on the cake so to speak. That would just add a big mix of anger and despair in someone who may or may not have had depression issues.
Anyway....the train yard is bothering me. I haven't read the whole first thread. Do trains move in and out of there regularly? Vagrants there? Anyone know?

Also, asking to have his number removed from her phone feeds into the narrative that Tim was "confused." The neighbors say they don't understand the reason for the request. So is Tim confused or are we being encouraged to believe that. Tim is not here to speak for himself.

JMO

We may be lead to think that Tim was confused...if the conversation ever happened...

We may be lead to think that Tim was confused...if the conversation ever happened...

His parents mentioned he sounded confused also. Did the parents ever elaborate in any interviews on what they meant by this?

Yes, the train yard is very active. I wouldn&#8217;t say there are &#8220;vagrants&#8221; wandering around there, but the area is the literal representation of &#8220;the other side of the tracks.&#8221; In the past, it has been assumed (or proven by arrest) that crimes were committed in the neighborhood by people who easily came over from south of the tracks (Hollywood Rd. or Bankhead area).

We had problems with car break-ins and burglaries, and there was an alleged armed robbery down the street from Tim&#8217;s on Halloween. (We had just left trick-or-treating there. I never saw an official story, so I have to say alleged.) There was also an auto theft/carjacking from the grocery store right there in the middle of a weekend day.

I don&#8217;t want to give the impression that it is a dangerous neighborhood riddled with crime, because it isn&#8217;t. There are lots of families and great people there. But it&#8217;s definitely not Mayberry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali
Back