Found Deceased GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It never gets easier reading we have lost someone we've followed on here.
RIP Timothy

It never gets easier reading we have lost someone we've followed on here.
RIP Timothy

Agreed. I actually think it gets more difficult the more cases we follow. I appreciate this WS community so very much. We held out hope for Tim, even when most signs pointed us toward hopelessness, and we learned what an amazing man he was. Human, like all of us, struggling, like so many of us... loved, like all of us, somehow, some way...

But are crystals and rare stones indigenous to that area where he went missing?
Interesting little tidbit.

"The Creek Indian tribe named the river. "Chat" meant "stone" and "ho-che" meant "marked or flowered". Thus the "river of painted rocks" referred to the many colorful stones and rock outcroppings that occur along the banks of the river."

http://pathfinderabc.com/CNCCrittersApril06ForMG/boardwalk-trail/geology/Chattahoochee.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Such sad news. And yet another young man found in a body of water. Does seem that these areas should be high on the list of priorities for searching in such cases. I'm probably not alone in wondering why this happens so often.

I was reminded of another tragic case of a young man, Rye Hunt whose body was recovered in the sea in Brazil ( John Lordan's Searchlight covered his case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgUICyiVaCM ) where I think it was actually documented that he had spoken of his reason for entering the water. It was because of his extreme fear and need to get away from danger. In his case it appears that he had taken a hallucinogenic drug but extreme paranoia/panic can obviously be produced by mental illness alone, certain substances or a combination of both.

It does appear that Timothy was experiencing mental difficulties from the little information that has come out and could have been experiencing paranoia. I think he was trying to cope with this by going home, taking some exercise to relax, again as a doctor he would know this is generally helpful, but maybe fell victim to an acute episode of paranoia whilst out jogging (perhaps feeling he was being chased). It is hard to over-estimate the terror and physical stress this puts on the mind and body. He may then have entered the water (thinking this would be the best way to escape the person/people chasing him) in a desperate attempt to get away from this threat. The extreme anxiety going on at the same time as entering the water could explain why strong young men are overcome by the conditions.

So maybe not suicide but perhaps a tragic case of untreated mental illness. It does sound like the family tried to act as quickly as they could but the descent can be very rapid and unpredictable in some cases. Possibly of course, an accident but IMO I doubt it.

Sure hope APD takes a look at that railroad bridge Gray pointed out. It’s been weeks, but you never know what might still be there. Probably nothing on the other two with heavy car traffic regardless. But maybe he left a clue or sign...something...anything. :(

Maybe it is as simple as he went for a jog, stopped by the river to collect some of the crystals, and fell in.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

He was living really close to the river. If jogging, it would only take him a few minutes to get there.
Especially if he knew a shortcut.
Shared route
From 2263 Harry Brooks Dr N W to The River Interurban Line Substaion via Marietta Rd NW.

16 min (0.8*mi)

1. Head southwest on Harry Brooks Dr N W toward La Dawn Ln NW
2. Turn right onto La Dawn Ln NW
3. Continue onto Marietta Rd NW
4. Turn right onto Whetstone Creek Trail
5. Turn left onto Barnett Dr NW
6. Turn right
7. Turn left
8. Turn right
9. Arrive at location: The River Interurban Line Substaion

To see this route visit https://goo.gl/maps/zvN75DuMPLN2

More photos of the area here.
The River Interurban Line Substaion

Marietta Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318

https://g.co/kgs/nKSZD2
206cbaea7b182b6a2fe45f3ff96e7f52.jpg
92f24a2fef338650deda69cb86a06f7d.jpg

Farewell Timothy, from another rock lover.
I'm hoping that he went to retrieve a rock from the water, fell in and was trapped.
I've been hollered at before because I am so in love with cool rocks that I have done silly things to reach them. So, I can see this, and if we never find out differently, that's where I am putting my mind to rest at with this case.
Because if that's what happened, he likely had a moment of love for a rock right before. And that is always a great feeling!

Wondering if he became so sick and dehydrated with severe altered mental status that he wandered off and fell out into the river. So sad.

Interesting little tidbit.

"The Creek Indian tribe named the river. "Chat" meant "stone" and "ho-che" meant "marked or flowered". Thus the "river of painted rocks" referred to the many colorful stones and rock outcroppings that occur along the banks of the river."

http://pathfinderabc.com/CNCCrittersApril06ForMG/boardwalk-trail/geology/Chattahoochee.html

OT - Thanks for sharing this Pamela. My Indian heritage is Creek.

[...]

Police do not know, for example, how Cunningham's body got onto the banks of the river.

The area — not far from Cunningham's home — was inaccessible by walking, police said, and they struggled to find a place to launch a boat to reach his remains.

"We do know that he was a jogger and he was wearing his favorite jogging shoes at the time that he was found," O'Connor said. "I can't tell you that he was jogging, but those two things together seem to indicate that that's a possibility."

[...]

On Thursday O'Connor said the circumstances around Cunningham's own death may never be understood.

"Barring new information coming forward, we may never be able to tell you how he got into the river."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-weeks-after-going-missing-drowning-suspected

I'm hoping that he went to retrieve a rock from the water, fell in and was trapped.
I've been hollered at before because I am so in love with cool rocks that I have done silly things to reach them. So, I can see this, and if we never find out differently, that's where I am putting my mind to rest at with this case.
Because if that's what happened, he likely had a moment of love for a rock right before. And that is always a great feeling!

I'd be curious, for future reference, what silly things you have done. : )
We lose so many to rivers that it could prove helpful down the road.

I'd be curious, for future reference, what silly things you have done. : )
We lose so many to rivers that it could prove helpful down the road.

OT--Like breaking your toes tripping over redwoods in Big Sur just to get a rock to give to a friend who was going to Mecca that year. It was black with a white zig-zag.

Reminds me a bit of the cases David Paulides has covered with young men drowning.... except Timothy was older and so did not fit the profile.
Assuming there was water in his lungs-- hence the drowning verdict.
So sad for his family !

Rest in peace, Timothy !

Oh how sad! I'm not surprised he has been found deceased, but I am sad to have my fears confirmed.

Rest in Peace and know you are very loved by so many, Tim!

I don't think this was a suicide, Tim was a very responsible and caring man, he would not have left his beloved dog alone, for example, nor left so many, especially his family, in suspense and worry for such a long time. If he wanted to leave he would have arranged things beforehand for Bo, and left a note, put his affairs in order etc. jmo I think he fell into the river, a tragic accident.

This part is really interesting to me as I wonder if these stones he collected were found in the river or near there. Perhaps he was collecting them and fell in? The current is reportedly very strong and the water would have been very cold in feb. This may be a tragic accident and nothing more than that. JMO.

Maybe it is as simple as he went for a jog, stopped by the river to collect some of the crystals, and fell in.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Watching presser on HLN. Their sidebar says parents called 911 on Feb 11th to report concerning texts. Feb 11 --- the day before he went missing.

eta: that's new, right?

I'm afraid the concerning conversations and disturbing text might all make sense now. Had it not been for all that mystery, I'd assume this may well simply be an accidental drowning. However, hearing about all of that, in conjunction with his personal and professional problems (mentioned by his dad ), it makes me still lean towards a suicide. At any rate, I'm just so sorry for his family and friends. :(

( BBM )

Thanks! All good posts above...

Could it have been accidental? Could he have fallen in while looking for rocks? Just the thought of that makes me feel better. I appreciate so much the posters above who mentioned it. I really hope LE might find some evidence that it did happen that way.

What makes it seem less likely though, in my opinion, is what Gussified posted above. That during the press conference on HLN, the sidebar said the parents called 911 about his concerning texts. The day before he went missing!

That doesn't seem to fit the description of someone who went to the river to find stones.

So, in my head I tend to lean toward suicide, for the same reasons that were well-stated by anonypotomous.

In my heart though... a place for the benefit of the doubt.

What a loss for the world without his warm, sweet smile, and his brilliant mind.

Rest in gentle peace, Timothy. You made a difference. You will be very missed...

JMO

[...]

Police do not know, for example, how Cunningham's body got onto the banks of the river.

The area — not far from Cunningham's home — was inaccessible by walking, police said, and they struggled to find a place to launch a boat to reach his remains.

"We do know that he was a jogger and he was wearing his favorite jogging shoes at the time that he was found," O'Connor said. "I can't tell you that he was jogging, but those two things together seem to indicate that that's a possibility."

[...]

On Thursday O'Connor said the circumstances around Cunningham's own death may never be understood.

"Barring new information coming forward, we may never be able to tell you how he got into the river."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-weeks-after-going-missing-drowning-suspected

Sadly, his Mother may know. I believe she received a message that was "disturbing," but she never revealed its contents? Such a loss! A brilliant mind, and a young handsome man with so much more to offer.

Was Tim found in the water or on the bank of the river? Thanks.

Was Tim found in the water or on the bank of the river? Thanks.

Timothy Cunningham, an epidemiologist at the CDC, was found in Chattahoochee River in northwest Atlanta late Tuesday. Fishermen in the area spotted the body along the bank of the river face up. The decomposed body was stuck in mud in an area that was not easily accessible, leading officials to believe it was “in that position for a while.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/0...er-months-after-disappearance-police-say.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back