GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Judge denies another request for funding by Ryan Duke in Grinstead case

January 6, 2020 at 11:30 AM EST - Updated January 7 at 12:43 PM

TIFTON, Ga. (WALB) - Tift Judicial Circuit Judge Bill Reinhardt has ruled that the state does not have to provide additional money for Ryan Duke to hire outside investigators to assist his defense in the Tara Grinstead case, in which Duke is charged with murder and other offenses.

The judge wrote that the defendant is not allowed to “pick and choose which of the state-provided services he wishes to receive. He must accept the resources that are available.”
[......]
Judge Reinhardt issued his ruling on Friday, January 3.

There is a link to the Judge's ruling in the article.

Up and Vanished has some later updates that were very very interesting. Enough contrary info to make you wonder about Ryan's involvement. It centers around the fact that he would drink until he blacked out and doesn't remember stuff. Take a listen.....will make you say huh? Especially after Bo's second indictment.

Attorneys for man accused in Grinstead murder file another appeal with state Supreme Court

Thursday, January 23rd 2020

ATLANTA -- Attorneys for Ryan Duke, accused in the killing of beauty queen and Irwin County high school teacher Tara Grinstead have filed another appeal to Georgia's highest court.

This month his attorneys filed an application for interlocutory review. They're requesting the Georgia Supreme Court to appeal Irwin County Superior Court's ruling that Duke's attorneys not receive state funding for experts and investigators to assist in his case.

Interlocutory reviews are appeals made amid an ongoing trial in which an appellate court is asked to review a ruling that a lower court has made.

Appeal files are in link.

This is a screenshot of the docket page. The GA Supreme Court usually schedules about ten to fifteen cases a month. They hear oral arguments every month with the exception of July. Ryan's case should be placed on the calendar for May within 20 days of being docketed so hopefully we'll have date by, or before 2/9/20. Once the Court hears oral arguments, an opinion will be issued in one to five months.

Attachments

• Duke v. State.png
    Duke v. State.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 7
Up and Vanished has some later updates that were very very interesting. Enough contrary info to make you wonder about Ryan's involvement. It centers around the fact that he would drink until he blacked out and doesn't remember stuff. Take a listen.....will make you say huh? Especially after Bo's second indictment.

I haven't spoken with one person around here that doesn't question Ryan's involvement. The general consensus is that Bo flipped the script not long after Tara was killed and began sharing his narrative with a select few. I've done my due diligence in researching both of them. Bo has a history of doing some horrible things, especially when it comes to women. If I could erase most of what I've learned about him from my mind, I wouldn't hesitate. From what I've learned, Ryan's history with women is the polar opposite. Not only has he been referred to many times as a romantic but people that know him have told me that he's very non confrontational. That he'll go out of his way to avoid any kind of conflict. Bo was the alpha, Ryan was the follower. The way I see it, one has a soul and the other doesn't. Ryan said it best when he referred to Bo as a parasite, I believe that pretty much sums it up.

But don't get it twisted, I don't believe Ryan is completely innocent. I know he was involved, he admitted to his attorney that he helped with the disposal of Tara's body. I'm just not convinced he was the one that killed Tara.

and here are just a few of Bo's charges against women.

Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) indicted (June, 2017) with concealing a death of another (burning Tara’s body). Ben Hill County
Trial started 3/18/19. 3/22/19: Found guilty, sentenced to 25 years.
Also charged with:
*Charged (1/6/19), indicted (1/15/19) & arraigned (2/17/19) with 1 count of rape, 2 counts for aggravated sodomy, 2 counts for kidnapping, 2 counts for aggravated assault, 4 counts for possession of firearm/knife commission of crime & 1 count for possession of firearm/knife by convicted felon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Houston County #2019CR053334
Warner Robins case on 1/1/19.
*Arrested & charged (3/3/17) & indicted (Sept. 2017) with concealing a death of another, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & 2 counts of giving false statements (to GBI). Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated his bond, back in jail. Irwin County tried in Wilcox County. Dukes has not been charged with murder.

Don't forget the alleged rape in Warner Robins (Houston County) on January 19, 2017, that we didn't learn about until October 22, 2019, due to the fact that he wasn't charged until after the Grand Jury indicted him. I check the Houston Co. Superior Court's website on a regular basis to see if there have been any additional pleadings filed and there hasn't been any movement. John Fox, the defense attorney that's represented him since February 2017, hasn't even filed an Entry of Appearance for this latest rape case.

Don't forget the alleged rape in Warner Robins (Houston County) on January 19, 2017, that we didn't learn about until October 22, 2019, due to the fact that he wasn't charged until after the Grand Jury indicted him. I check the Houston Co. Superior Court's website on a regular basis to see if there have been any additional pleadings filed and there hasn't been any movement. John Fox, the defense attorney that's represented him since February 2017, hasn't even filed an Entry of Appearance for this latest rape case.

I had that on my notes, but now I'm surprised it is missing from what I posted. So thanks for bringing that one to my attention. I shall add this to my notes!

Ah - here's the list I was looking for....:rolleyes:

*Indicted! (@ am ET) - GA – Unidentified Woman (Jan. 19, 2017) - *Bo Dukes (36/34 @ time of crime) indicted (1/19/19) with rape, aggravated sodomy & possession of firearm/knife during commission of crime. Houston County #2019C05426501, 02, & 03.
Also charged with:
*Indicted (June, 2017) by a Ben Hill County grand jury indicted Dukes on 3 counts: concealing the death of another, 2 counts of making false statements, tampering with evidence & hindering apprehension of a criminal. Ben Hill County
Had a Calendar Call hearing on 3/17/19-nothing since...

*Indicted (Sept. 2017) a Wilcox County GJ indicted for 4 charges: 2 counts making false statements (to GBI), 1 count of hindering apprehension of a criminal & 1 count of concealing the death of another. Wilcox County
4/9/19: Dukes reported Tuesday at Georgia Diagnostic & Classification State Prison in Jackson to start his 25-year sentence. Dukes was convicted of 4 charges in Wilcox County: 2 counts of making false statements, 1 count of hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal & 1 count of concealing the death of another.

*Charged (1/6/19) & arraigned (2/17/19) & indicted (1/15/19) with 1 count of rape (2019), 2 counts for aggravated sodomy, 2 counts for kidnapping, 2 counts for aggravated assault, 4 counts for possession of firearm/knife commission of crime & 1 count for possession of firearm/knife by convicted felon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Houston County #2019CR053334
Houston County Warner Robins case on 1/1/20.

*Convicted: Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) - *Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (3/3/17) with concealing a death, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & giving false statements. Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated his bond, back in jail. Irwin County Dukes has not been charged with murder.
Trial started 3/18/19 & went to 3/21/19. 7 women and 5 men (including 3 alternates/1 woman & 2 men). Breakdown of the 12 jurors: 3 black females, 4 white females, 1 black male, 4 white males.
3/21/19: GUILTY on two counts of making false statements, one count of hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal & one count of concealing the death of another.
3/22/19: Judge sentenced Bo Dukes to max —25 years. 5 years for count 1, 5 years for count 2, 5 years for count 3, 10 years for count 4. That’s the maximum sentence of 25 years for his involvement in Tara's death.

and @Stina_108 - You said you have access to the court site - what about these other cases he has pending? 2 in Houston County and the one in Ben Hill County?
TIA! :)

Last edited:
Georgia Supreme Court accepts appeal for man charged with murdering Tara Grinstead

February 13, 2020
the Supreme Court of Georgia has accepted an appeal in the Ryan Duke murder case.

In a unanimous decision, the Georgia Supreme Court accepted the appeal from Duke’s defense team.
[.....]
He is appealing a lower court ruling that he can’t use state money for indigent defendants to pay for hiring expert witnesses and to test DNA. The court agreed to hear the case.

The Supreme Court will hear arguments on the defense funding issue later this year.

This is a screenshot of the docket page. The GA Supreme Court usually schedules about ten to fifteen cases a month. They hear oral arguments every month with the exception of July. Ryan's case should be placed on the calendar for May within 20 days of being docketed so hopefully we'll have date by, or before 2/9/20. Once the Court hears oral arguments, an opinion will be issued in one to five months.

I apologize for my carelessness in posting the comment above. I don't know why I was thinking that The Court had already granted the application, obviously oral arguments can't be calendared until the application has been granted. I'm posting the order below to provide you with an accurate breakdown of the deadlines. Hope this helps to clear up any confusion I may have caused.
Adobe Document Cloud

I think Ryan did it; he broke in and surprised her. He had a drug problem, he had a weird creepy thing for her, and he talked about the phone call that only the cops knew about. Bo might be the more exciting prospect because of all of the drama swirling around him and the other horrible things he’s done, but I think he’s an accessory, not the actual murderer.

@Stina_108 - was wondering if I could bother you to look up and see if there is a date in May yet for Alexander?

TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iris June
Back