Presumed Located GA - Veverly Ann Mitchell, 55, Decatur, 25 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original

Demographics
Missing Age: 55 Years
Current Age: 56 Years
First Name: Veverly
Middle Name: Ann
Last Name: Mitchell
Nickname/Alias: Veverly Powell

Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: Black / African American
Height: 5' 5" - 5' 7" (65 - 67 Inches)
Weight: 140 - 150 lbs

Hair Color: Black
Head Hair Description: hair is usually in a ponytail or braids
Eye Color: Black
Eye Description: may have brown/hazel colored contacts

Scar/mark:
childhood scar on forehead, split left ear lobe,

Other distinctive physical characteristic: large gap in front upper teeth

County: DeKalb County
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Veverly was last seen at a family member's residence on Christmas day 2017.

Missing Person Case

I also found where in 1991 (1/4/91) she appears to have been charged with criminal trespass and giving false info in Fulton County (Veverly Mitchell Mugshot 152787610 - Veverly Mitchell Arrest - Fulton County, GA - Booked on 1/04/1991). At that time, she was listed as 5'7" tall and 132 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes, living in Atlanta. She was released three days later on 1/7/1991. Living just south of East Atlanta at that time.

Are all these court records okay to be posted? I feel bad sleuthing the victim so heavily, but there is so very very little info in her case, and it is all public records. Unfortunately, it seems like she turned her life around in recent years, owning a cleaning business, with only traffic tickets to her name.

Searching Fulton County State and Magistrate court records, she has three additional items on record, all misdemeanors.
1. A dispossessory case against another person, with her as plaintiff, 10/16/07. The address in question is off Campbellton Rd in southwest Atlanta and regarded back due rent. I checked the property records, and neither she nor the defendant owned the property; must have been a roommate situation.
2. 4/2/06, car abandonment. I think this more accurately might be that her car was towed, and she wasn't able to pay to get it back. Living in Atlanta, different address, this one just south of East Atlanta (same as trespass charges in 1991).
3. 9/25/84, charges relating to sex work. Obviously quite some time ago, but if she were still involved in that, that opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Also may put the 1991 charges in a different light. Living just off Cheshire Bridge, which used to be pretty seedy, with massage parlors, strip clubs, etc.

Searching Fulton County Superior court records:
1. Two things on 9/17/96, relating to unlawful manufacture and distribution of a non-controlled substance? Not even sure what that could be. But a felony. Also theft by receiving stolen property.
2. 2/28/1992 (file date), again relating to manufacture and distribution of a non-controlled substance. Sentencing: "COMM P-5YRS SV 2YRS BAL PROB CC W/ANY SENT NOW SV $450F SOTH 5YRS SV 2YRS POTH 3YRS SUSP CONC CONS" (I hate all these abbreviations!)

Searching Cobb County court records (her county at the time of her disappearance), under the name Veverly Powell.
1. 1/2005, charges of family violence against what I believe to be her then-husband. Case closed 2/8/05. Unable to find any other charges in Cobb County for said man.
2. 3/2005, filing for divorce against same. Case was closed 1/26/2007, assume divorce was finalized.

Searching Dekalb County court records (she was last seen in Decatur, which is in this county--these are all part of Atlanta's metro area).
1. 3/19/1993. This is listed under a different birthdate, which will be relevant. What I can piece together from the charges (false birthdate, no proof of insurance, speeding, "unknown charge code" felony, revoked/suspended license, and false name) sounds like she was involved in an auto accident and gave false information. The sentencing info is quite complicated, but it sounds like she served some time, was out on probation, then came back, then was out for good in 1994? Living in Marietta (Cobb County) at this time.
2. 5/5/2014, speeding ticket, paid fine. Living in Austell (Cobb County) at this time.
3. 8/26/1990. Still another birthdate? "CR case without Offense" --I don't even know what that means. Living in Decatur (Dekalb County) at this time.

Clayton County court records found a traffic violation (red light) in 8/2006--she paid a fine. No address listed.

Atlanta Municipal court records:
1. An open case against her for failure to stop at a stop sign on 10/31/17. She failed to pay or appear on 11/29/17. I would like someone else to look at this, because there are other dates that appear (e-payment consents, etc.) that make it look like she might have been active after her last seen date. However, it's still listed as an open case with upcoming dates, so I think I just don't understand it.
2. Several (5) traffic tickets from 2002-2009. No addresses listed, so no really helpful info there.

Wow, Nancy Drew RN, that is quite a lot of charges and interactions with police over the years... Most of them are minor infractions (speeding, failure to stop at a stop sign, car getting towed, etc). The family violence history and divorce is probably the most relevant in light of her being missing. Even if it was 10 years or more ago. Did the divorce reference any children? Children could keep an ex in her life even if she never wants to see him again. Or a pattern of violence could have repeated itself with a new boyfriend that we are not aware of because of there not being charges.
Next most interesting to me is the sex-work charges, even though it was a very long time ago. It is hard to get out of that life. People from her past may have come back into her life. JMO.

I wish we had some news about Veverly's disappearance. Some more details on what her current life was like and what she was going through specifically at the time she went missing might help. Disappearing on Christmas day seems very suspicious. I wonder if she was reported missing right away or if the report was made days/weeks/months later when she had missed court dates. And who was it that said they saw her on Christmas day?

(Snipped for focus)
Atlanta Municipal court records:
1. An open case against her for failure to stop at a stop sign on 10/31/17. She failed to pay or appear on 11/29/17. I would like someone else to look at this, because there are other dates that appear (e-payment consents, etc.) that make it look like she might have been active after her last seen date. However, it's still listed as an open case with upcoming dates, so I think I just don't understand it.
2. Several (5) traffic tickets from 2002-2009. No addresses listed, so no really helpful info there.

When I click the above link it says "Access denied" to me. Are you sure it was failure to stop at a stop sign and not failure to stop at a stop light? I'm just wondering because there are red light cameras in Atlanta. They will automatically send a ticket to the address the car is registered to:
Atlanta, Georgia Red Light Cameras Map

Yes, it's definitely for running a stop sign. The initial offense (10/31/17) is before her last known date, as well as when they sent a notification for failure to appear (11/30/17). After that is where I get a bit confused. I believe the PTIT is pre-trial intervention, where you can go in, read a paper, and pay a fine of sorts to have the charges dropped. Frankly, I'm surprised she would be eligible, with so many previous traffic offenses. I would think it looks like she went in on 12/29, paid, and had the failure to appear warrant cancelled. But did she make further payment on 1/2/18, perhaps for the original traffic offense versus the failure to appear? It is also still listed as an open case, with pretrial intervention next scheduled for 3/2/18, which makes me think that full restitution hasn't been made. The real question is if her last known date is perhaps really 12/29/18 or even 1/2/18 versus 12/25/17.

1/2/2018 PTIT EPAYMENT CONSENT
12/29/2017 FAIL TO APPEAR WARRANT CANCELLED OR CLEARED
12/29/2017 FINE & ASSESSMENT CHANGED BY JUDICIAL
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 PTIT PROGRAM FEE & AGREEMENT
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 PTIT EPAYMENT CONSENT
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 HEARING EVENT: PRETRIAL INTERVENTION DATE: 03/02/2018 TIME: 11:00 AM JUDGE: LOCATION: JURY ASSEMBLY ROOM
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 CASE SET FOR WALK-IN EVENT: WALK IN DATE: 12/29/2017 TIME: 7:00 AM JUDGE: LOCATION: COURT 1B RESULT: EVENT HELD

As far as divorce info, unfortunately Cobb County's records are by far the least detailed. The only info is when they filed, the parties involved, and that they used a public defender. I would like to look into her ex-husband a bit, but obviously we would not be able to discuss that too much on the forum.

Yes, it's definitely for running a stop sign. The initial offense (10/31/17) is before her last known date, as well as when they sent a notification for failure to appear (11/30/17). After that is where I get a bit confused. I believe the PTIT is pre-trial intervention, where you can go in, read a paper, and pay a fine of sorts to have the charges dropped. Frankly, I'm surprised she would be eligible, with so many previous traffic offenses. I would think it looks like she went in on 12/29, paid, and had the failure to appear warrant cancelled. But did she make further payment on 1/2/18, perhaps for the original traffic offense versus the failure to appear? It is also still listed as an open case, with pretrial intervention next scheduled for 3/2/18, which makes me think that full restitution hasn't been made. The real question is if her last known date is perhaps really 12/29/18 or even 1/2/18 versus 12/25/17.

1/2/2018 PTIT EPAYMENT CONSENT
12/29/2017 FAIL TO APPEAR WARRANT CANCELLED OR CLEARED
12/29/2017 FINE & ASSESSMENT CHANGED BY JUDICIAL
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 PTIT PROGRAM FEE & AGREEMENT
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 PTIT EPAYMENT CONSENT
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 HEARING EVENT: PRETRIAL INTERVENTION DATE: 03/02/2018 TIME: 11:00 AM JUDGE: LOCATION: JURY ASSEMBLY ROOM
blank_clear.gif
12/29/2017 CASE SET FOR WALK-IN EVENT: WALK IN DATE: 12/29/2017 TIME: 7:00 AM JUDGE: LOCATION: COURT 1B RESULT: EVENT HELD

As far as divorce info, unfortunately Cobb County's records are by far the least detailed. The only info is when they filed, the parties involved, and that they used a public defender. I would like to look into her ex-husband a bit, but obviously we would not be able to discuss that too much on the forum.

Thanks for typing all that up. I'm not sure what to make of the 12/29 entries. :confused:

Was she there 3/18 ?
That's not clear to me. Here is the "Events" section relating to the case:

DATE
EVENT JUDGE LOCATION RESULT
3/2/2018 11:00 AM PRETRIAL INTERVENTION JURY ASSEMBLY ROOM
12/29/2017 7:00 AM WALK IN PORTIS, CHRISTOPHER 1B HELD
11/29/2017 3:00 PM TRAFFIC NEW DUPRE, LEIGH 5D FTA

FTA is failure to appear and lines up with other known info we have. "HELD" make me think that she did come in on 12/29/17. There is nothing/blank in the status section for 3/2/18, no HELD or FTA or even a judge assigned.

Further court record search news--I had only done one court for Cobb and not the magistrate's court. Under that, I found:
1. In 2007 and 2008, cases regarding wage garnishment, with her as the defendant. A pauper's affidavit was filed and accepted, but I'm not sure if it was her or the plaintiff. Living in Mableton/Cobb County at that time.
2. In 1/2012, an eviction notice, with her as the plaintiff. Her address is listed as a PO box, but the defendant's address (Austell, Cobb County) is one I've seen associated with Veverly online, so I started looking into that. It appears that her ex-husband "sold" her that property in 6/2005 (3 months after they filed for divorce) for $0, after owning it since 1999. She sold it two months after this eviction notice, in 3/2012, for significantly less than her ex paid. It was resold later that year for again, a good bit more than she sold it for, but less than her ex paid. Later in 2012 (December), she is the plaintiff in a case of wage garnishing against this person that she had evicted, for which she was able to receive funds for several months, but ultimately ended in the defendant filing for bankruptcy in 8/2013.
3. Most interestingly, in 12/2017, immediately before her disappearance, she was involved in a dispossessory case at her last known address, on 12/18/17, with the police coming that day with no response. A payment was made on 12/19/17, not sure by whom. However, she and a co-defendant, with further unnamed potential co-defendants, were served by tack and mail on 12/28/17. On 1/5/18, there was a notice of a hearing, to be held on 1/19/18. Also on 1/5, it says ANSWER/DISPOSSESSORY is
"ADMIT..PLW" for Veverly. I have tried googling what PLW means in this context, but all I can find is someone else asking the same question, with no answer, on a legal site. At the hearing on 1/19/18, there was a consent judgment. My understanding is that all parties must agree to a consent judgment, so I think there is at least some evidence that Veverly was not missing as of 1/19/18. The plaintiff later filed to have them cover the filing costs, with various court stuff into 3/2018 relating to that, but no clear evidence that Veverly was present or involved in any of that. Sleuthing the address a bit, the property was listed for rent in 11/20/2017, at an increased price to that previously, although the previous record on Zillow was from 2014.

So, a lot to chew on there. It sounds like she had lost her housing around the time of her disappearance and was living with a male person at that time, possibly others (the house in question is listed as 3 bedroom). Having some issues of that nature can definitely lend itself to both voluntary and involuntary disappearances.

I forgot to add to one of my earlier posts that she is listed in some records as being 5'9", in addition to the one noted above where she is 5'7". So my feeling is she is a bit of a taller lady, more in the 67-69" line than the 65-67" in NamUs.

I have researched the other person listed as a co-defendant in the dispossessory case. He has a more common name than Veverly, but I believe this to be the right person because of associated addresses that are also linked to Veverly. That association, if random google searches are to be trusted, extends back to 2005, the time of her divorce, and the house in Austell. I haven't found anything definite linking him to those addresses, though, so take it with a grain of salt. I do think we can go so far as to say that she seems to have possibly been in a long-term relationship at the time of her disappearance, and it's interesting, if so, that her family is the last one to report seeing her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back