GA - William Hess, 71 & Dorothy, 72, shot to death in home, Winder, 20 May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a strange case. I think his son and family lives across the street from them. Did they not recognize that car either?!

Sheriff: Winder double murder 'not a cold case' Classic City News

“It’s not a cold case,” Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said this week. “We are using many efforts to solve the case. The case is being worked on every day.”

Despite those efforts, investigators have not identified any suspects or possible motives for the double murder.

According to Smith. Investigators were awaiting the results of DNA evidence testing that was done at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s State Crime Lab.

The GBI is assisting with the investigation.

The arrest in JoEllen Browning's murder makes me hopeful this one will also be solved soon. The Hesses were killed about a month after JoEllen, so (hopefully) LE will soon have lab results in order to make an arrest. Wishful thinking, I know. Very different cases.

JoEllen's thread: IA - JoEllen Browning, 65, found stabbed to death in home, Iowa City, April 2015 *ARREST*

Thanks @NervousNellie . The thread for JoEllen threw me off at first as it shows 2015. After some research, I believe that is an error and should be 2019. Yes, very different cases.

Thanks @NervousNellie . The thread for JoEllen threw me off at first as it shows 2015. After some research, I believe that is an error and should be 2019. Yes, very different cases.

Good catch! I had followed that one early on so never noticed the error. I will alert a mod and ask them to fix. Sorry to submit something so confusing. :oops:

Very interesting update the in the Hess Case! (It's almost bizarre that I looked this up the same morning I saw that the dark web may be related to another case - twilight zone music here.)

Barrow County couple’s murder tied to opioids and the dark web, authorities say

"The FBI said the murder of an elderly Barrow County couple in May 2019 was linked to an international opioid ring. Investigators say it was also tied to the dark web."
“Within days of them being brutally killed, their identities were stolen,” Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said about the victims in that case, Ron and Dorothy Hess.

It's an interesting article - they don't have evidence the murders were committed for the identity theft, but they don't rule it out. So sad.

That is truly frightening. At the time, it sounded like nothing was stolen. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around cold blooded murder, victims' credit cards used, identity theft and the dark web. They had to be targeted in some way.

Car 'could be key' in finding out who killed elderly couple in Winder home, police say | 11alive.com
966c08a9-e02b-40ca-b0dc-9341b597d6bc_1920x1080.jpg

2019 rbbm.
Grandparents found dead in Barrow County home were shot to death
''According to Channel 2, the subdivision is a single-road neighborhood with one way in and one way out. Officials told the news station the car was parked in front of the Hess’ home at least twice in the week before their bodies were discovered.

“It's tough to piece together, but we feel confident," Sheriff Jud Smith said. "We want to know who was driving that car.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the sheriff’s office at 770-307-3080.''

Were the Dermonds' identities stolen after their murders?

Reportedly nothing known missing from the Dermond home. And, one would assume IF their identities were stolen, they would have been used by now (as they were murdered in 2014).

I wonder when the Hess' stolen identities were first used.

Last edited:
Sept 23 2020
Barrow County Murders Tied to Opioid Investigation
''The couple’s identities are suspected to have been purchased by Durrell Tyler, who is connected to a number of similar identity theft schemes, and a larger international investigation into illicit opioid distribution in the United States.

This connection has been made by “Operation DisrupTor,” a coordinated investigation by the US Government into online sales of opioids on the Darknet.''

''According to Sheriff Smith, there’s no evidence linking Tyler to the homicide from last year, instead of purchasing the identities online after the fact''.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb
Back