GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Question: with new precedent and ostensibly no statute of limitations on murder, might we see a cascade of retroactive charges against parents in otherwise resolved, past school shootings?

Is this how the tide changes once and for all? Whoever provides the grenade...

JMO
I don't think so. I think going forward it's clear that if you had prior knowledge that your child was having troubles and you have weapons that are not secured and there is some connection between the two then you could be charged.

The first case the parents were at the school that day over disturbing pictures he drew and they didn't mention the gun at home and they didn't take him home. Their texts after the fact let LE know that they were thinking about it, but they didn't take any steps to secure the gun or check to see that it was secured nor did they notify the school.

This case now they had the FBI at their house.. I think if that doesn't warn you enough to secure your guns then well I don't know what to say.

Totally understand that confusion! BTW, I was honestly asking because I wondered what I was missing - not trying to tear you down.
All's good!
IMO:
Georgia's AG Carr is most likely diametrically opposed to Michigan's AG Nessel when it comes to firearm regulations and parental responsibilities etc,
I don't even know if a state's AG can override a county's DA if they don't want charges filed against a person?

I wonder if perhaps the Discord threat (or other threatening statements the shooter made to his father) were specifically directed toward any of the individuals murdered yesterday. I know the shooter is said to be new to this school, but he may have known some of the students if he attended middle school with them. OR perhaps the shooter's father knew he harbored violent thoughts towards specific groups that some of these folks might've fit into (for example, "math teachers"--which both adult victims were--or people of color, which both of the teen students appear to have been). I don't know if that would necessarily make a difference in how those two murders would be charged, though.

IDK, there were 4 murders.
The father has been charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter, plus 2 counts of second degree murder.
We'll have to wait and see what kind of explanation their prosecutor has.

I used to work in the UK school system primarily with PRU children (kids who have been excluded from mainstream school). Quite a few of these were due to violence - severe threats, bringing knives into school etc

We had a legal duty to pass on any safeguarding or behavioural issues to the next school - I’m amazed that this isn’t the case in the US system.

From afar this case looks like it was preventable as he should’ve already been on peoples radar - he should’ve been being searched each day prior to entering the building and his parents should have had a legal duty to check his bag each morning prior to school.
Records follow a student from state to the state in the U.S. It's part of the transfer/enrollment process.

Question: with new precedent and ostensibly no statute of limitations on murder, might we see a cascade of retroactive charges against parents in otherwise resolved, past school shootings?

JMO
It would be nice, but that's probably not going to happen. I'll be surprised if they continue with this recent trend of charging parents.

The father has been charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter, plus 2 counts of second degree murder.
We'll have to wait and see what kind of explanation their prosecutor has.
You can charge lesser included offenses in Georgia. Two of the involuntary manslaughter charges are lesser included offenses to the two second degree murder charges.

BBM

That comment that “all the guns will go away” says it all about Colin Gray’s priorities! Not that his son might have made threats, but that he’d lose his guns if Colt did. I can’t even!

Glad you pointed that out. Because I had originally read the quote like the dad was a responsible adult, meaning he would voluntarily get rid of his own guns if his son had been dumb enough or reckless enough to make threats.

I guess I was being way too optimistic and your post opened my eyes. And now the dad has been charged too.

Imo.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think going forward it's clear that if you had prior knowledge that your child was having troubles and you have weapons that are not secured and there is some connection between the two then you could be charged.

The first case the parents were at the school that day over disturbing pictures he drew and they didn't mention the gun at home and they didn't take him home. Their texts after the fact let LE know that they were thinking about it, but they didn't take any steps to secure the gun or check to see that it was secured nor did they notify the school.

This case now they had the FBI at their house.. I think if that doesn't warn you enough to secure your guns then well I don't know what to say.
Bbm.
Hmmm.
Arrogance ?
It'd be interesting to be a 'fly on the wall' for the discussions between Colin Gray and his lawyer.
Imo.

Yes, see my post with link to NYT article about how the father more or less admitted he knew nothing about Discord and therefore his son was able (IMO) to completely "snow" him with some tale of how "raiders" could easily hack one's Discord account and make all kinds of outrageous claims!
This just blows my mind because it seems like such an obvious thing people who are guilty always say--"I was hacked!" A kid posts threats online and then says it wasn't him, he was hacked and that just...worked? On an FBI officer? What the heck?!

“A phone number associated with the account was linked to a different person in another Georgia city, the report said. The account's profile name, written in Russian, translated to Lanza. The investigator noted that Adam Lanza was the perpetrator of the 2012 mass shooting that killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.”
BBM

The other person’s phone number and the account name written in Russian did not eliminate Colt from posting threats on Discord. I don’t fault the FBI for dropping the case as this would be practically impossible to prove.

Spoofing is when someone uses someone else’s number as their own. I guess the FBI couldn’t prove that Colt was “spoofing” the other person’s phone number. My number has been spoofed before. I didn’t try to find out who did it.

The account’s profile name isn’t actually “translated” to Lanza, and Colt’s father saying he didn’t know Russian (in earlier article) is meaningless. I took Russian and learned the Russian alphabet in college. All Colt would have to do is match each letter in LANZA to the equivalent letter in the Russian alphabet—ЛАНЗА
But again, try proving it.

Last edited:
We'll have to wait and see what kind of explanation their prosecutor has
WOW!
I'm shocked he was charged so fast.
Damn bitter-sweet.
I wonder if perhaps the Discord threat (or other threatening statements the shooter made to his father) were specifically directed toward any of the individuals murdered yesterday. I know the shooter is said to be new to this school, but he may have known some of the students if he attended middle school with them. OR perhaps the shooter's father knew he harbored violent thoughts towards specific groups that some of these folks might've fit into (for example, "math teachers"--which both adult victims were--or people of color, which both of the teen students appear to have been). I don't know if that would necessarily make a difference in how those two murders would be charged, though.
If the shooter's social media is found to have racist comments he could be looking at state or federal hate charges.

I don't think he was targeting people necessarily. He originally tried to get back into his own classroom, so if he was targeting anyone I'd think it would be there. But since the door was locked, he seems to have turned to the first unlocked door he found and started shooting.

It's good that the father is charged. Once again, as is always the case in these school shootings, the murderer has a history. Seriously, FBI??? And mental health issues. And a mom that has her stuff, and the list goes on. I opine this young man has a school file of intervention services offered and/or rendered several inches thick. It's no secret in this case, and it's no secret in all the cases I've followed, of school shootings. LE, counselors, therapists, psychologists, inpatient, outpatient, medication, ad nauseum.

The only way, in my humblest of opinions, being a born and raised U.S. citizen, fully aware of the society in which I reside, having 20 years experience in public school, and 5 years prior in residential treatment for youth with various and sundry disorders....the only way to provide for safety in a public school is to prevent the weapon from entering the building. I simply cannot, for the life of me, understand why courthouses, government buildings, airports, and a few other entities have secured their buildings, but public schools refuse to do so. Baffling.

There were four deaths. They’re probably charging strategically and it will shift to four counts of second degree murder or four counts of involuntary manslaughter after grand jury. Don’t want to risk losing the true bill on second degree murder and they have to rush to file new charges.

JMO
It has to do with two of the dead being minors. They list all the charges at first. Who knows what trial or plea deal charges will be next year.

“A phone number associated with the account was linked to a different person in another Georgia city, the report said. The account's profile name, written in Russian, translated to Lanza. The investigator noted that Adam Lanza was the perpetrator of the 2012 mass shooting that killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.”
BBM

The other person’s phone number and the account name written in Russian did not eliminate Colt from posting threats on Discord. I don’t fault the FBI for dropping the case as this would be practically impossible to prove.

Spoofing is when someone uses someone else’s number as their own. I guess the FBI couldn’t prove that Colt was “spoofing” the other person’s phone number. My number has been spoofed before. I didn’t try to find out who did it.

The account’s profile name isn’t actually “translated” to Lanza, and Colt’s father saying he didn’t know Russian (in earlier article) is meaningless. I took Russian and learned the Russian alphabet in college. All Colt would have to do is match each letter in LANZA to the equivalent letter in the Russian alphabet—ЛАНЗА
But again, try proving it.
Google Translate, anyone?
So simple.

JMO
I doubt they would be murder charges for their parents, so likely the statute of limitations has run or is running.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtbag
Back