GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"In the days since a shooting at Apalachee High School in Barrow County, at least 19 students and an adult have been arrested for making threats against schools on social media."
omg, that is unbelievable! What has happened to young people? It seems like an epidemic!

Are you saying that when the mother called in, they responded and grabbed the wrong student's bag? Heartbreak upon heartbreak this case is.

and both boys were not in the classroom
also explains the confusion with the classmate saying he skipped a lot of classes yet reports said it was only his first or second day - she must have been referring to the other kid IMO

I've heard the financial argument time and again over the years. The hard question is this, would the lives of these 4 deceased been worth a try? Would their lives have been worth the cost investment now?

I'm also familiar with public school budgeting, and where the majority of the money goes, how it's spent, what can be spent here for capital improvements, what can be spent over there, etc. etc. In a large amount of public schools, armed resource officers already are placed, and/or the schools have agreements with local police, local police spend time in the building, some more than others, and even participate in lockdown drill scenarios. This isn't enough though, as we've just seen.

I think we as a society might wish to prioritize what's important....is it a new football field?, or a new track?, or construct a 15 million dollar wing?, or give pay raises to all faculty, or install a detection system to prevent firearms from entering the building?

This is a wee peek at Pennsylvania's public school system. It gives a some insight in to the scope of the operations, mandates, (some funded, some not), legal requirements, etc. etc. The argument that funding could not be made available for firearms detection systems in public schools simply doesn't hold weight in my humblest of opinions.

Purdon's Statutes
I’m sure we could install metal detectors, thought even just doing that would be a huge undertaking (finances aside, just the sheer scope of the project given the number of schools). But what then? Someone has to man these metal detectors. Who does what when the metal detector goes off? Where do these people come from? Forget about who pays for all of this. Where do the actual people come from?

WHY they didn't call for an internal lockdown when that call came in, until they could investigate?
And lock an armed student into his classroom with an entire class of students and the teacher? I guess that would theoretically keep the carnage contained to that one classroom… but I’m not sure locking down knowing the gunman is likely already inside is the most helpful first step. I’m actually not sure what I think would’ve been most helpful. Calling 911? Getting actual LEOs there immediately? At least sending SROs to find the student in question, not a random admin staff person that’s not armed or equipped to confront a kid with a gun in his bag/backpack/on his person.

"The maternal grandmother of the 14-year-old suspect in the deadly Apalachee High School shooting in Winder, Georgia, visited the school the day before the massacre to discuss the suspect's alleged behavioral issues, the family revealed to CBS News Saturday."

"The maternal grandmother of the 14-year-old suspect in the deadly Apalachee High School shooting in Winder, Georgia, visited the school the day before the massacre to discuss the suspect's alleged behavioral issues, the family revealed to CBS News Saturday."
Incredible. Now there will be excuse after excuse, verbal diarrhea detours and obfuscation, thoughtsandprayers yet again hiding the elephant in the room. The kid was troubled because of this that and the other thing so he grabbed a handy war weapon. What a disgrace.

How would he talk about school shootings that morning if the kids said he was quiet and never talked to anyone? He had been to school 2 times, who did he talk to about it then? Seems like he texted his mom in case he ended up dead and she sounded the alarm. Kind of makes sense how they were able to stop him so quickly.

I’m sure we could install metal detectors, thought even just doing that would be a huge undertaking (finances aside, just the sheer scope of the project given the number of schools). But what then? Someone has to man these metal detectors. Who does what when the metal detector goes off? Where do these people come from? Forget about who pays for all of this. Where do the actual people come from?
I stated earlier, the county and city I live in <60k residents combined, paid for metal detectors, bulletproof glass, ID badges, door locks etc. with federal and state grants. Our NFP endowments pay for a company to apply and oversee our grants.

It's up to each School Board to apply for these grants. School Boards are tasks with making decisions on funding, ensuring safety and policies comply with state and federal guidelines.

During COVID billions were awarded to states with NO strings attached for schools, filtered down to individual schools. This in addition to funds for COVID related supplies. Some schools in my area used the funds for upgrades for security, some hired additional teachers(now laying off), gave financial bonuses, special arts/music programs. All played well with local media.

Few attend SB meetings, few ask questions or even know who/what candidates platforms stand for.

Recent news reports schools nationwide are suffering now COVID funding has run dry. Many schools in VIRGINIA are laying off, closing schools, cutting services and programs.

Bottom line citizens need to elect/appointment smart business minded members focused on the financial stability of the school system.

(My county schools started a NFP endowment. They starting hosting Bingo games in the late 70s, to pay for "the extras". In the 80s they purchased the shopping center where they hosted. By the 90s, galas, more commercial property purchased. We currently have over 50 million dollars in our endowment.and have two full-time staff, our primary focus grant funding)

Moo..

Updates/Recent News​

• Governor Kemp, with the support of the General Assembly, has provided $115,700,000 for school security grants in the Amended FY2023 budget (HB 18). The funds will provide $50,000 for each active public school to address safety and security needs. Learn more here.

Our schools used this funding for our upgrades.

And lock an armed student into his classroom with an entire class of students and the teacher? I guess that would theoretically keep the carnage contained to that one classroom… but I’m not sure locking down knowing the gunman is likely already inside is the most helpful first step. I’m actually not sure what I think would’ve been most helpful. Calling 911? Getting actual LEOs there immediately? At least sending SROs to find the student in question, not a random admin staff person that’s not armed or equipped to confront a kid with a gun in his bag/backpack/on his person.
Your post brings up so many truths. One is, a person with a semiautomatic in a public school building owns the hallways, owns wherever he/she roams. He continues to shoot and kill until one of three things happens. He stops. He commits suicide. Someone else stops him.

A public school is a soft target, killers know this, that's part of the problem. The old slogan, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun, actually holds much truth in this scenario.

The other slogan that holds much truth is the answer to why a person needs to carry a gun, or in this case, why should there be trained persons in a school with a gun...answer being, when you need a gun, a 911 call and LE are only minutes away. I guarantee in 3, 5, 7, or 10 minute response time, lots of mayhem may occur.

Students and faculty are sitting ducks, helpless, every time. The only choice is to lock your door and hide. Some more recent training goes beyond the lockdown theory, and is beginning to give power back to faculty, power to choose to run, lockdown, and/or fight back.

I made the argument for rubber bullets, non lethal, at least a person would have something to shoot at the murderer. This kid stopped when a man with a gun confronted him. This is an important point. A shooter likely will attempt to take cover even with rubber bullets being shot at him, allowing time for LE to arrive, or even potentially ending the threat.

"A resource officer confronted the shooter, who immediately surrendered to the deputy and was taken into custody," https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/apalachee-school-shooting-georgia-09-05-24/index.html

If the rifle would never have entered the building we'd not be having this conversation. I know, lots of other murdering possibilities exist outside the building. But preventing entry of firearms in to the building, and having a few trained and armed folks inside the building, moves the building out of the 'soft target' category.

Lastly, none of this happened in a vacuum. I always said, and continue to believe, (and much of this is beginning to surface in mainstream media) my opinion, LE, FBI, Counselors, School personnel, Child Services, Probation....one, or several of these entities had involvement with this murderer over the years. He had to enroll in that new school...that means he, or some parent/guardian, had to show up there to fill out enrollment papers. I don't know Georgia law, but in PA, you don't start school until you have proof of immunization records, and a students file is sent to the new school from the old school. I opine this kids file folder is a thick one.

Sorry for the long post :)

I would suggest this as a MUST READ. The synopsis from the Washington Post is very clearly written, answers a number of things, and raises even more questions as to how the school administration addressed the tragedy in motion.

Why was the principal and the SRO not notified immediately? A school counselor is certainly not equipped to handle a threat.

Major fail !!!

Moo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members