GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope to find out why this young person felt that it was ok to kill innocent people.

Maybe if we find the answer to that question we can find a way to possibly prevent future attacks like this. JMO.
IMO, it could be anger, frustration, hatred, jealousy and wanting attention. To do this at the tender age of 14, something was seriously missing in his life. IMO

Father's court appearance.
From start to finish.

I am sure he feels devastated and blindsided by what is happening to him, but he brought this on himself when he GAVE a gun to his troubled son AFTER the FBI came to the house. I'm willing to bet he even laughed about the gift and got a big kick out of it, though that is speculation of course.

jmo

Hey folks,

The mom is not a POI. Sleuthing and posting about her past is off limits unless/until it is determined by LE that she has some responsibility in the school shooting.

Glad you pointed that out. Because I had originally read the quote like the dad was a responsible adult, meaning he would voluntarily get rid of his own guns if his son had been dumb enough or reckless enough to make threats.

I guess I was being way too optimistic and your post opened my eyes. And now the dad has been charged too.

Imo.
Imo that is what he meant

The murder charges are unprecedented, the most severe ever filed against the parent of a school shooter. Late Thursday, the director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said at a news conference that the charges against Colin Gray are “directly connected with the actions of his son” and that the father “knowingly allowed him to possess the weapon.”

It is a near certainty that in the days and weeks ahead, more details will emerge about warning signs given off by the school shooter in Georgia, one of 20 states now requiring plans for violence prevention in public schools. School shootings are almost always preceded by such warning signs. Significant questions also loom about what may have been done regarding concerns about Colt Gray by law enforcement or the school district, after anonymous tips about threats posted online put him on the radar of the FBI and local authorities in 2023.

Teen shooting suspect will face more charges, district attorney says​

From CNN's Holly Yan
Colt Gray, the 14-year-old charged with four counts of felony murder after Wednesday’s mass shooting at Apalachee High School, will face additional charges, Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith said Friday.
Four people were killed and at least nine were hospitalized after the school shooting in Winder, Georgia.
Smith said the upcoming charges will be filed after investigators speak with injured victims.

“There will be additional charges on Colt Gray. When he was taken into custody on Wednesday, we did not have the identities or the conditions of the other victims. So we were not able to charge on those offenses,” the district attorney said.

“So when evidence comes in, and they’ve had a chance to heal physically, emotionally and spiritually, we will get with them, and there will be additional charges that address the other victims.”

y. I think the kid was so troubled and unhappy and frustrated that he committed a crime to end is own pain, seeing prison as preferable to his current life. Not saying he consciously looked at it that way, but I think that is the core of the motivation.

I think this may be possible.

I wonder with you if he had no way to extract himself from his home life and figured this drastic crime would remove him from home, and maybe too young yet to really think through what his life would be in prison.

My other thought is perhaps he wanted to punish his parents for his upbringing, damn the consequences to himself. Maybe he knew on some level that this violent action would reveal what his childhood was, and bring down the whole house of cards.

But maybe not, because I really don’t believe he thought through the consequences thoroughly.

Do I remember correctly that he has a sister? If so I hope she will be okay, without parents and this horror that her brother perpetrated, with the idiotic assist from her dad.

I’m curious as to what he will say from prison in 10 or 20 years from now.

Just my speculation.

I think this may be possible.

I wonder with you if he had no way to extract himself from his home life and figured this drastic crime would remove him from home, and maybe too young yet to really think through what his life would be in prison.

My other thought is perhaps he wanted to punish his parents for his upbringing, damn the consequences to himself. Maybe he knew on some level that this violent action would reveal what his childhood was, and bring down the whole house of cards.

But maybe not, because I really don’t believe he thought through the consequences thoroughly.

I’m curious as to what he will say from prison in 10 or 20 years from now.

JMO
The more I think about it, I also think a factor is starting the new school and entering high school. It might all have been too much and he assumed it would all go bad for him. He seems like a kid without hope inside him. So, he destroyed it all before it destroyed him.

High school is a time to set the tone for what your life will be, though you can always correct course later in life - we adults know that but a 14yo doesn't. I think he didn't feel he could handle the next stage in life and he expected the worst.

I think his life has been chaotic and he took control by sending himself either to death by cop or life in a super-structed prison. No more unpredictability in his life. He steadied it.

I'm interested in what brought him to that crime, but I'm not saying any of it is excusable. I know murder is wrong.

jmo

Lauren Vickers, who lived next-door to the Grays in Jefferson, Georgia, said there were “problems immediately” when the Grays and their three children moved into the well-manicured neighborhood 60 miles east of Atlanta in 2022.

“There were nights where the mom would lock him and his sister out the house. And they would be banging on the back door, just screaming like ‘Mom! mom! mom!’ and crying. It was absolutely devastating,” she said.

Although she called child services several times, Vickers said, “they came, talked to me, and did nothing.”

A former landlord of the Grays, who asked his name not be used, described Marcee as “a f–k up,” while crediting the father as, “trying his best to be a stand-up guy.”

“She was locking them out in inclement weather. Freezing weather,” he said, corroborating Vickers’ account.

He said he stopped by the house to speak to Colin once neighbors started complaining

The neighbors reported [Marcee] was driving down the street in her car, drunk, fell out the car, with the door open and the engine running. As a landlord, I can’t tolerate this kind of behavior in a neighborhood where a tenant might be putting other children at risk,” he said,.

“I spoke to the husband and asked him, ‘do you know your children are being locked out of the house?'”

The landlord said Colin told him Marcee had been battling drug and alcohol addiction and that the couple was headed for divorce.

He then reported her to Georgia Division of Family & Children Services and removed her from the lease, leaving Colin to fend for himself until he eventually moved out on his own accord.

Absolute tragedy. Getting shot down in a place of education... My most cynical thought is that the news cycle will be talking about the next school shooting soon. Is the answer to prosecute the parents? I'm 100% in favour of prosecuting anyone who provides them with guns, but there needs to be urgent solutions for this epidemic. My thoughts to all the victims and their families...

All MOO

Absolute tragedy. Getting shot down in a place of education... My most cynical thought is that the news cycle will be talking about the next school shooting soon. Is the answer to prosecute the parents? I'm 100% in favour of prosecuting anyone who provides them with guns, but there needs to be urgent solutions for this epidemic. My thoughts to all the victims and their families...

All MOO
I agree that there need to be solutions, I just don't see it happening any time soon. This has been going on too long and nothing.

MOO

Colin also shared how teaching his son to shoot as seemingly made him proud, saying: 'The God honest truth is, the picture on my phone is him with blood on his cheeks when he shoot his first deer. It's just the greatest day ever.

Lauren Vickers, who lived next-door to the Grays in Jefferson, Georgia, said there were “problems immediately” when the Grays and their three children moved into the well-manicured neighborhood 60 miles east of Atlanta in 2022.

“There were nights where the mom would lock him and his sister out the house. And they would be banging on the back door, just screaming like ‘Mom! mom! mom!’ and crying. It was absolutely devastating,” she said.

Although she called child services several times, Vickers said, “they came, talked to me, and did nothing.”

A former landlord of the Grays, who asked his name not be used, described Marcee as “a f–k up,” while crediting the father as, “trying his best to be a stand-up guy.”

“She was locking them out in inclement weather. Freezing weather,” he said, corroborating Vickers’ account.

He said he stopped by the house to speak to Colin once neighbors started complaining

The neighbors reported [Marcee] was driving down the street in her car, drunk, fell out the car, with the door open and the engine running. As a landlord, I can’t tolerate this kind of behavior in a neighborhood where a tenant might be putting other children at risk,” he said,.

“I spoke to the husband and asked him, ‘do you know your children are being locked out of the house?'”

The landlord said Colin told him Marcee had been battling drug and alcohol addiction and that the couple was headed for divorce.

He then reported her to Georgia Division of Family & Children Services and removed her from the lease, leaving Colin to fend for himself until he eventually moved out on his own accord.
Wow, what a sad sad story.

Earlier in the thread, we wondered why Colin Gray was only charged with two counts of second degree murder when four people had been murdered.

I found an explanation on today's CNN Live Stream.

"When asked why the father faces two counts of second-degree murder after four people were killed, Smith said the murder counts don’t apply to the adult victims.

“Second-degree murder is different in Georgia than in other states. It’s a rather new charge, and it is specifically geared towards cruelty to children in the second degree,” Smith said. “If you commit cruelty to children in the second degree that causes death, that is second-degree murder.”

In addition to the two counts of second-degree murder, Colin Gray also faces four counts of involuntary manslaughter and eight counts of cruelty to children.

Today's Friday Sept 6 CNN Live Stream

JMO

I was surprised to see that the next court hearing date for the father is December 4th. I wonder if there will be a bail hearing before then, did anyone hear that being discussed in court today? Maybe it has to wait until the father's permanent legal representation is determined. Or maybe bail was discussed today and denied by the judge, although I haven't seen that reported in any MSM that I've read this morning. I would assume that the father could get out on bail as long as he can meet the terms of the bail.

I was surprised to see that the next court hearing date for the father is December 4th. I wonder if there will be a bail hearing before then, did anyone hear that being discussed in court today? Maybe it has to wait until the father's permanent legal representation is determined. Or maybe bail was discussed today and denied by the judge, although I haven't seen that reported in any MSM that I've read this morning. I would assume that the father could get out on bail as long as he can meet the terms of the bail.
Bail was not addressed today for the father or for the shooter. It was not denied, but not requested either.

It seems it was set aside for the legal counsel to address later.

jmo

The father is getting a change to legal representation later today. Whoever that is will decide what to do re: bond. Nothing was denied by the judge today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren
Back