GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How did he get an AR-15 into the school?
He didn’t walk in with it that morning. Did he stash it outside somewhere and went and got it?
That is certainly a possibility and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, as there is no way he walked through the metal detectors/scanners without the rifle being detected. The only other possibilities are through computer cases or instrument bags, where they could just hide the weapon in there because you can't pass those objects through the metal detector as computers contain metal and some instruments contain metal. The students just put the computers or instruments on the tables that surround the metal detectors and once they pass them, they get them back. I'm not sure if high schools in Barrow County have metal detectors but the ones in Clayton County do, and that's how I know of that.

Question: At first they said they’d seek the death penalty for the shooter. How or why was it changed to life in prison?

Colin also shared how teaching his son to shoot as seemingly made him proud, saying: 'The God honest truth is, the picture on my phone is him with blood on his cheeks when he shoot his first deer. It's just the greatest day ever.
I can easily believe it was one of his most cherished memories as a parent.

Blooding is a rite of passage for many young people who grow up in families for whom hunting is a way of life.

The origins are ancient and are rooted in respect for the animal you've taken the life of.

I feel for those for whom this tradition means a lot, with how it's going to be associated with complete disregard for the sanctity of life because of the actions of the defendant. It's the complete opposite of what blooding is about. This kind of indiscriminate slaughter of living creatures for no reason but the thrill of it is obscene, to both those who hunt responsibly and those who never touch a gun.

MOO

Georgia school shooter Colt Gray was bullied by classmates who called him gay, his father told detectives in an interview last year.

Colin Grey, 54, made the claims when he was interviewed by the Jackson County Sheriff's office after the FBI received a tip that his son had threatened a shooting at his middle school.

'It was very difficult for him to go to school and not get picked on,' Colin Gray told an investigator, according to a transcript of the conversation obtained by DailyMail.com.

The father added: 'It went from one thing to another... I was trying to get him on the golf team... [they were like] Oh, look, Colt's gay. He's dating that guy. Just ridiculed him day after day after day.'

Georgia school shooter Colt Gray was bullied by classmates who called him gay, his father told detectives in an interview last year.

Colin Grey, 54, made the claims when he was interviewed by the Jackson County Sheriff's office after the FBI received a tip that his son had threatened a shooting at his middle school.

'It was very difficult for him to go to school and not get picked on,' Colin Gray told an investigator, according to a transcript of the conversation obtained by DailyMail.com.

The father added: 'It went from one thing to another... I was trying to get him on the golf team... [they were like] Oh, look, Colt's gay. He's dating that guy. Just ridiculed him day after day after day.'
So the math teachers?
Two special ed kids?

Hey - kids are mean.
Colt looks unsure of himself in what I have seen.
Too much home drama for him to stand up for himself. D- parents.
Sadly, jail probably will be his first stable living situation.

Well,
Wasn't he in a new school?
The students in high school didn't seem to have much time to bully him as he appeared in this school for 1 or 2 days only.

I can see what way the Defence might lead.

JMO

He really never had much of a chance.

There are other kids who come from extremely dysfunctional backgrounds who would never do what he did. There are many other kids who are bullied but have some support so they won’t do what he did. Some kids grow up hunting and with access to guns who will never shoot anyone. It is the combination of all these things that contributed to what he chose to do.

Well,
The students in high school didn't seem to have much time to bully him as he appeared in this school for 1 or 2 days only.

JMO
Yep, new school.

So whatever culture of bullying existed at his last school, this was a whole new place with potentially a different culture and way of dealing with that kind of behaviour in its student body.

It's hard to play the 'years of bullying' card when there's a good chance that every person he shot didn't even know his name yet.

MOO

Yep, new school.

So whatever culture of bullying existed at his last school, this was a whole new place with potentially a different culture and way of dealing with that kind of behaviour in its student body.

It's hard to play the 'years of bullying' card when there's a good chance that every person he shot didn't even know his name yet.

MOO
Well,

JMO
I'm assuming public schools in Georgia are structured the same as in Missouri. In Missouri:
  • Elementary school - grades K-5
  • Middle school - grades 6-8
  • High school - grades 9-12.

In Missouri, it's possible for kids in the same elementary school to go to the same or different middle schools. For example, my wife and I attended the same elementary school (we were actually in the same 4th grade class). Then, she went to one middle school and I went to another (within the same school district). After middle school, we both went to the same high school.

What I'm getting at it is possible he was bullied in middle school and one or more of the bullies moved onto the same high school he just started attending.

Fyi on discussion surrounding the death penalty

In 1972 the death penalty was deemed unconstitutional

In 76 the Supreme Court reversed that.

In 1987 Georgia tried sentencing a 15 yo to death. The Supreme court stepped in and decided that minors under 16 were ineligible for the death penalty.

In 2005 the Supreme Court extended that ruling to cover anyone under the age of 18 at the time of their crime

Yep, new school.

MOO
He may have decided to do something at the new school before bullying could start there. It is also possible that someone made a negative comment about him or his appearance the first day when he left early. The effects of bullying can last quite a long time. It doesn’t appear to have been his main motivation. He probably wanted the notoriety that he had seen given to other school shooters.

Fyi on discussion surrounding the death penalty

In 2005 the Supreme Court extended that ruling to cover anyone under the age of 18 at the time of their crime
Good information.

Some additional SCOTUS rulings regarding serious crimes and minor include:

- Minors can be sentenced to LWOP, but the sentence cannot be automatic.

- Juveniles sentenced to very long periods of times for most murder and all non murder cases must have a "meaningful opportunity for parole".

But.... then SCOTUS refused to hear a case where a conservative state defined "meaningful opportunity" as being eligible for parole after serving something like 40 years. So, what constitutes a "meaningful opportunity" seems to be up to the state.

I'm assuming public schools in Georgia are structured the same as in Missouri. In Missouri:
  • Elementary school - grades K-5
  • Middle school - grades 6-8
  • High school - grades 9-12.

In Missouri, it's possible for kids in the same elementary school to go to the same or different middle schools. For example, my wife and I attended the same elementary school (we were actually in the same 4th grade class). Then, she went to one middle school and I went to another (within the same school district). After middle school, we both went to the same high school.

What I'm getting at it is possible he was bullied in middle school and one or more of the bullies moved onto the same high school he just started attending.
Except West Jackson Middle School, where he was having a lot of trouble, has a high school - Jackson County High School - right near it. And Jefferson Middle School, where he went after and did better, is to the east of both and has its own high school near it too!

Apalachee High School where this happened is WAY south and west, completely the other side of Winder. I can't imagine many kids from West Jackson or Jefferson Middle Schools went to Apalachee High. It's way too out of the way.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awesomewallflower
Back