GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her account made me cry.

School shootings are not normal, should never be normal. What kind of craziness are we as a country asking our students and teachers to train for repeatedly so that one day, when it's not a drill, they will have a plan of action?

This is insanity.

MOO.

We had tornado drills. Now I believe some states have laws requiring school shooting drills. I still think metal detectors could be used. That 14 year old killer and others would never get their guns through metal detectors.

We go to the moon and have satellites so I believe there are ways technology could help.

2 Cents

That account is supported by a call log from the family’s shared phone plan, which shows a 10-minute call from the mother’s phone to the school starting at 9:50 a.m. — about a half-hour before witnesses have said the gunman opened fire.

“I was the one that notified the school counselor at the high school,” Marcee Gray texted her sister following the shooting on Sept. 4, according to a screenshot of the exchange. “I told them it was an extreme emergency and for them to go immediately and find [my son] to check on him.”

Last edited:
“A gun in the home is meant to protect its owner and family but it is more likely to imperil them,” Miller says. “Until people realize that risk — and act on it by removing guns from their homes, or at least doing a lot more to make it very difficult for unauthorized persons to gain access to their firearms — these horrific events are going to continue to happen in this country at rates that are tragically higher than in other developed countries.”

I understand the arguments being discussed here re: the culpability of Colt's parent(s), the legal morass surrounding it, the lack of mental help intervention, etc.

The FBI/LE went to talk to Colt and his dad about school threats. After that/later that same year, Colin bought Colt an AR-15. To me that reeks of Colin snubbing or rebelling against "government interference" in their personal lives. (Very much MOO.) Now multiple people are dead. I absolutely feel that in this particular case, Colin bears a large responsibility (along with Colt).

I also feel like the victims (the murdered, the wounded, the forevermore traumatized witnesses) are being minimized in the conversation.

MOO.
At first, I was all about Colin being severely punished. But if Colt convinced LE that he wasn't the author of the threatening posts, why would the father think otherwise? So, removing that as evidence, what else pointed to Colt being a ticking time bomb? IDK, there may be loads of evidence. I am genuinely asking bc I haven't kept up with the evidence. TIA

Oddly, one of the LE people at the latest press conference said that in addition to the suspect "Colt Gray," there is another student at the school by the name of "Colton Gray," who wasn't involved in the shooting. I assume they confirmed that, but it seems strange to me. But I guess it could be a very common name...

JMO
This Wapo article claims they grabbed the wrong students bag. Im assuming this may be him.

That account is supported by a call log from the family’s shared phone plan, which shows a 10-minute call from the mother’s phone to the school starting at 9:50 a.m. — about a half-hour before witnesses have said the gunman opened fire.

“I was the one that notified the school counselor at the high school,” Marcee Gray texted her sister following the shooting on Sept. 4, according to a screenshot of the exchange. “I told them it was an extreme emergency and for them to go immediately and find [my son] to check on him.”
How did she know?

Her account made me cry.

School shootings are not normal, should never be normal. What kind of craziness are we as a country asking our students and teachers to train for repeatedly so that one day, when it's not a drill, they will have a plan of action?

This is insanity.

MOO.
I am shocked that their mandated active shooter drills in GA just became law last year? I thought after Columbine that they were mandated nation wide. I was so wrong. I'm glad that the loss of life wasn't any greater; it certainly could have been. I can't imagine how she felt knowing her daughter was also somewhere in the building.

That article appears free to read for those who are interested. Its extremely interesting

We had tornado drills. Now I believe some states have laws requiring school shooting drills. I still think metal detectors could be used. That 14 year old killer and others would never get their guns through metal detectors.

We go to the moon and have satellites so I believe there are ways technology could help.

2 Cents
All but 13 states have mandatory active shooter drills (according to article linked a few messages back.)

The article isn't clear. Did the counselor call Colt's Mom first, or did the Mom call the counselor first, or were multiple calls exchanged?
From what i read in the post, sounds like mom initiated contact,to share her concerns and the counselor told her CG had been talking about school shootings. The call was roughly 10 minutes long and was iniated roughly 30 minutes prior to the shooting.

We had discussion relative to cell phone use during emergencies. If I recall, local LE recommended to attempt to minimize call volume so as to ensure emergency services had good cell service.

Now, I don't know too much about all this, how many phone calls/texts does it take to overwhelm say, the Verizon network, in a given area. Our High School and Middle School comprised near 2,000 students. If half of them began texting back and forth, would that affect the network(s), slowing down or preventing service?

Another extremely serious concern was call sounds alerting a potential intruder, phones ringing, message notifications, etc. This issue trumped all others in terms of training for armed intruder in the building. Indeed, it was thought to be potentially deadly.

I had the honor of being a sweeper. This term was used for teams of men trained to go throughout the building in armed intruder drills, "sweeping" the entire building for students caught in compromising areas, not able to be behind a locked classroom door. Those in the bathroom, hallway, gym, auditorium, etc.

The greatest challenge was going in to lockdown during lunch, when 300 students were in the cafeteria, and the drill went down.

To shed a bit more light on the training, my good friend was charged with being the contact, in a secure area, with radio. We even had contingency plans in the event his was killed, so as to provide for continued communication.

Lastly, local LE trained extensively, in the building(s), and we trained with them. Consider this, how were they to know, when they entered the building, who WE are, and not mistake US for the intruder? Serious questions, and serious training. Brutal.

I'll never change my opinion on prevention of arms entering a public school building, whatever the cost to do so. Never.

The security system used at that school in Winder is the exact system used by several local area schools here. Faculty and staff can initiate a lockdown upon pressing a button on their ID badges more than a certain number of times. That automatically sends out an alert of an active shooter to LE, faculty, and staff. The lockdown is initiated immediately, and no cell phones are needed to contact. LE. On the whole, I do think cellphones would make students less safe in an active shooter situation. moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriVee
Back