GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm very interested in motive in this case. I'd love to know what prompted him to go in to that school and murder 4 people from what I can tell he didn't even know...and give up immediately upon confrontation with a resource officer, not going all out and dying, and truthfully, not killing more than 4.

This is my opinion, for now. He hated school. He didn't want to go. So, and this is purely speculation, based on countless hours of working with teenagers over 25 years. He may have chosen to kill as a way to avoid ever having to go back to school. This is my number one thought on the matter. Or, maybe even as an act of rage towards those family members, and/or employees of the school, in a sort of "I'll show you" kind of way. A final act of a power struggle, where he wins the battle, knowing he'll never have to return to that environment, a punishment of sorts, punishment of those who forced him to attend. I can hear it...you want me to go to school, I'll show you what happens when I go to school.

Once again, I hope some day, to hear what is said when he explains an answer to the question...."why'd you do it?"
I totally agree that he didn't want to be in school. Perhaps we need to face the fact that forcing a troubled teenager upon teachers, staff, and fellow students doesn't help anyone and doesn't work.

jmopinion

I totally agree that he didn't want to be in school. Perhaps we need to face the fact that forcing a troubled teenager upon teachers, staff, and fellow students doesn't help anyone and doesn't work.

jmopinion
These young boys, men, are checking out for good. Some "electrical short" in their brains, somehow it's the happy school kids' fault, the ones who seem normal. <modsnip>

I'm out of here, they think. No going back. That's that. As bad as it can be. They seem to be so calm and compliant afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
These young boys, men, are checking out for good. Some "electrical short" in their brains, somehow it's the happy school kids' fault, the ones who seem normal. <modsnip>

I'm out of here, they think. No going back. That's that. As bad as it can be. They seem to be so calm and compliant afterwards.
Previous others motive appeared to be suicide by cop …

I'm very interested in motive in this case. I'd love to know what prompted him to go in to that school and murder 4 people from what I can tell he didn't even know...and give up immediately upon confrontation with a resource officer, not going all out and dying, and truthfully, not killing more than 4.

This is my opinion, for now. He hated school. He didn't want to go. So, and this is purely speculation, based on countless hours of working with teenagers over 25 years. He may have chosen to kill as a way to avoid ever having to go back to school. This is my number one thought on the matter. Or, maybe even as an act of rage towards those family members, and/or employees of the school, in a sort of "I'll show you" kind of way. A final act of a power struggle, where he wins the battle, knowing he'll never have to return to that environment, a punishment of sorts, punishment of those who forced him to attend. I can hear it...you want me to go to school, I'll show you what happens when I go to school.

Once again, I hope some day, to hear what is said when he explains an answer to the question...."why'd you do it?"
But no one is asking why this kid hates school?
It looks like he has had more than one Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE). Which is the root of the problem. Divorce, parents with mental health and substance abuse, witnessing and experiencing domestic abuse and neglect all add up, they have been studying this for years. It's not a surprise this kid is not coping well. It was almost predicted. There are so many kids like him, he is not unique.

Just add access to a killing tool.

Desperation, in my opinion.

Desperation for help, for affection, without the social and psychological resources to know how to secure it. It was likely a long, lonely, meaningless summer.

But no one is asking why this kid hates school?
It looks like he has had more than one Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE). Which is the root of the problem. Divorce, parents with mental health and substance abuse, witnessing and experiencing domestic abuse and neglect all add up, they have been studying this for years. It's not a surprise this kid is not coping well. It was almost predicted. There are so many kids like him, he is not unique.

Just add access to a killing tool.
Exactly!

So hand a troubled teen a gun and force him into school....and he's going to be assigned Jane Eyre in English class and turn his life around??

We can't keep doing what we're doing and expect different results. But sure, let's add another metal detector at the door.

jmo

jmopinion
I agree that kids will struggle in school when they come from a home that sets them up for failure.
All the school can do is mitigate the end result of the parents' failures. And try to keep kids from harm for a small portion of every day.

We can't keep kids from harm if killing tools are accessible to them. Full stop.

<modsnip - personal questions asked and answered on the thread will make the thread about the members instead of the victims>

jmopinion

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be in school then? There are a lot of troubled kids in school and most don't turn out to be killers. IMO, keeping them out won't really do anything, except maybe exacerbate things further.

MOO

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be in school then? IMO, that won't really do anything, except maybe exacerbate things further.
Moo,..do they have alternative schools state side? I moved my son to an alternative school when he was about 13-14. He just didn't fit well with regular high school as in he rarely went, was bored, had conflict with maths teacher, but my son would show up for tests which he always passed easily. The alternative schools were small maybe 20-30 students, high teacher to student ratio. Very much personalized for student. Students work at their own pace. It allowed my son to school part time and also have a day job. The alternative schools are unfortunately seen as a place for bad kids which is not true.....moo

Moo,..do they have alternative schools state side? I moved my son to an alternative school when he was about 13-14. He just didn't fit well with regular high school as in he rarely went, was bored, had conflict with maths teacher, but my son would show up for tests which he always passed easily. The alternative schools were small maybe 20-30 students, high teacher to student ratio. Very much personalized for student. Students work at their own pace. It allowed my son to school part time and also have a day job. The alternative schools are unfortunately seen as a place for bad kids which is not true.....moo
How much did the alternative school cost, out of curiosity? Did they also provide mental health counseling and psychological testing? I'm so glad you found a place available where he can thrive!

Edit: could you provide your country name if you feel comfortable? Thank you

They do, but I don't know what the criteria for the switch is. I will say, when I was in school some 20 years ago, the kids in the alternative school near me were the ones coming out of juvenile hall or those on probation. I only know this because my ex was sent to one after a drug bust and the classmates were all in similar trouble. Can't speak for other alternative schools.

MOO.

Reactions: nao
How much did the alternative school cost, out of curiosity? Did they also provide mental health counseling and psychological testing? I'm so glad you found a place available where he can thrive!

Edit: could you provide your country name if you feel comfortable? Thank you
Moo...I am in Canada. The alternative schools are just that, an alternative way of education. Yes definitely more mental health oriented. More funding than regular schools, so kids got access to like winter hikes, to a option to attend film, video school. It is to help their social skills. As BeginnerSleuth says there are kids with drug issues, others have been to juvie, ADHD kids. But it is relative as to whether you see kids as bad or just needing a more social support because of their lack of self worth. They are not private they are government run and I live in a small town and there were 2 alternative schools but I did have to hunt them down. The criteria to get my son in was regular high school was just not a good fit for him. I spent more time in regular high school office than my son spent time at school....I mean what was I supposed to do...beat him into submission and drag him to school? He thrived at alternative school...the one on one and counselors always there...moo

Last edited:

"Apalachee High School students and staff are allowed to pick up their belongings days after four people were killed in a shooting."

and

"Barrow County Schools will return to class on Tuesday. It’s unclear when classes at Apalachee High School will resume."

From the reports we are seeing from the environment with the mother, I don't think either of the family environments were very healthy, safe or stable, sad to say. Eventually the courts gave custody of all of the children to the father, according to MSM.
Oh, my! Were they all living with him at the time of the crime? TIA

Charlie Polhamus, 81, the former world champion pole vaulter, blames the 14-year-old's father Colin Gray, 54, for the teenager's September 4 killing spree, calling him a 'narcissist' who got into 'physical altercations' with Colt.
[snip]
'He's a full-fledged narcissist and he finally getting what he deserves', Polhamus told DailyMail.com.
[snip]
'I made a comment that there were holes in the doors and walls, and she said it was Colt.

'As we left Colt came out of the door and started walking down the steps, so I turned to go back to see him, but he said to me: 'I'll *advertiser censored** you up.'

'My daughter and my wife told me to leave it, and again it just shows the environment that he is in. Marcee said he was just showing off.
[snip]
'Colt is a good kid. Both Colt and Marcee would be fine people today if it weren't for Colin Gray. You walk into a barn, you come out with s*** all over you.

in addition, the grandfather claims that there are lots of guns in the house that are in open view and not secured, that Colin Gray went to a rehab facility to "visit" Colt's mother and then proceeded to check her out and bring her back to their home. Finally, grandfather says that Colin Gray has a prescription pain pill addiction and those pills were purchased on the street because doctors would no longer prescribe them for him. I suspected this and believe that in part is what caused much of the rocking self soothing behavior Colin exhibited in the court room. MOO is that BOTH parents are addicts and neither should have had custody of their children.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess9976
Back