GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Scroll down for some FAQ's on this case.

It is clear on this site in that it states "Colt Gray brought the gun into the school on his own. The assault-style rife could not be broken down, but Gray hid it in his backpack."

I'm very interested in what "black semi-automatic AR-15 style rifle" was used, that fit in a backpack some how concealed well enough that nobody saw it, and that could not be broken down.
Another article I read, maybe CNN, said that the rifle was only partially in the backpack and the remainder was somehow wrapped up to look like a school project or something. Their source was statements by the Sheriff or GBI. I imagine this was confirmed via video.

JMO since I don’t have the link immediately available

Another article I read, maybe CNN, said that the rifle was only partially in the backpack and the remainder was somehow wrapped up to look like a school project or something. Their source was statements by the Sheriff or GBI. I imagine this was confirmed via video.

JMO since I don’t have the link immediately available
If the picture we have is CG's firearm (and IMO it is) it is definitely not a short barrel rifle ("SBR") or AR style pistol. That would be hard to hide is a bookbag type backpack most kids use. So, the wrapping makes sense but, I'm shocked no one noticed something like that.

If the picture we have is CG's firearm (and IMO it is) it is definitely not a short barrel rifle ("SBR") or AR style pistol. That would be hard to hide is a bookbag type backpack most kids use. So, the wrapping makes sense but, I'm shocked no one noticed something like that.
This is why I keep bringing it up. My opinion, some things don't quite add up yet, in my mind, on the issue of the rifle, what exactly the kind of rifle it was, how it is being called an ar15 style rifle yet doesn't break down, and then, how it was brought in to the school in a backpack, with what I'd assume (Opinion only) had the barrel sticking out of the backpack, and possibly wrapped with something? or disguised in some fashion?

Couple the above with the aforeposted photo of the rifle, though grainy/fuzzy, it appears to not be a complete rifle, and to be honest, I'm not sure what it really is in that picture.

I would think school personnel would benefit from being aware of just how this rifle was able to be carried in to a classroom, in a backpack, with the barrel sticking out of the pack, possibly disguised in some manner. I think it's extremely critical, and important information, for safety's sake, and in an attempt to be aware, so as to possibly prevent further trouble down the road.

It's not much different than making faculty/staff aware that cocaine can be brought in to school in a chapstick or lipstick container, or weed stuffed in to a pen, or a vape that looks like a cell phone, etc. etc.

Lastly, the entire idea of a rifle being brought in to a school building likely wouldn't be a concern if proper preventative measures were in place at the door, AND, other preventative measures were strictly adhered to by faculty/staff.

1726241113167.png

Last edited:
This is why I keep bringing it up. My opinion, some things don't quite add up yet, in my mind, on the issue of the rifle, what exactly the kind of rifle it was, how it is being called an ar15 style rifle yet doesn't break down, and then, how it was brought in to the school in a backpack, with what I'd assume (Opinion only) had the barrel sticking out of the backpack, and possibly wrapped with something? or disguised in some fashion?

Couple the above with the aforeposted photo of the rifle, though grainy/fuzzy, it appears to not be a complete rifle, and to be honest, I'm not sure what it really is in that picture.

I would think school personnel would benefit from being aware of just how this rifle was able to be carried in to a classroom, in a backpack, with the barrel sticking out of the pack, possibly disguised in some manner. I think it's extremely critical, and important information, for safety's sake, and in an attempt to be aware, so as to possibly prevent further trouble down the road.

It's not much different than making faculty/staff aware that cocaine can be brought in to school in a chapstick or lipstick container, or weed stuffed in to a pen, or a vape that looks like a cell phone, etc. etc.

Lastly, the entire idea of a rifle being brought in to a school building likely wouldn't be a concern if proper preventative measures were in place at the door, AND, other preventative measures were strictly adhered to by faculty/staff.

View attachment 530970
Could he have carried it in hidden in his pants leg??

jmo

View attachment 530970
You and I are on the same page and I have the same questions as you.

"The sheriff said the assault-style rife could not be broken down"

I did some research on the .450 Bushmaster too, and it appears, and I won't link to the Bushmaster site, but it appears this rifle also breaks down, having 'upper' and a 'lower' part(s).
My guess is that the discrepancy is that the sheriff was addressing the general public, instead of a select audience of fire arms enthusiasts. He then tailored his remarks towards the general sense.

Compact and ultra compact models of AR15 variants can be broken "way" down. Not only can they be broken down into the standard two components, but they feature collapsible stocks, or essentially no stock. They also have a shorter barell.

Thus, the sheriff was likely stating that the weapon was not a compact model.

In regards to .450 Bushmasters breaking down into two main components, you are very likely correct (though I dont know much about AR-15 type guns). Designing, and patenting a totally new gun can be very expensive. Meanwhile, the patent on M-16s / AR-15s etc. is expired and is public. Accordingly, the .450 could well closely resemble AR-15s in regards to design.

I would add, there are literally dozens and dozens of school threats ongoing....here are just a few in Pennsylvania....

My guess is that the discrepancy is that the sheriff was addressing the general public, instead of a select audience of fire arms enthusiasts. He then tailored his remarks towards the general sense.

Compact and ultra compact models of AR15 variants can be broken "way" down. Not only can they be broken down into the standard two components, but they feature collapsible stocks, or essentially no stock. They also have a shorter barell.

In regards to .450 Bushmasters breaking down into two main components, you are very likely correct (though I dont know much about AR-15 type guns). Designing, and patenting a totally new gun can be very expensive. Meanwhile, the patent on M-16s / AR-15s etc. is expired and is public. Accordingly, the .450 could well closely resemble AR-15s in regards to design.
I have experience in firearms. It's my opinion, when the GBI states "the assault-style rifle could not be broken down", I would assume that means, in to the two traditional ar-15 parts, being the upper....and the lower. My opinion only :) When broken down in to these two components, an ar-15 will fit nicely in to a backpack, however, when together, or in the instance of a rifle that can not be broken down, then the barrel will more than likely protrude from the pack.

That being said, I'm not even certain there is factual data as to the caliber of the rifle used, I've not seen it....and certainly not the manufacturer/model.

It is clear on this site in that it states "Colt Gray brought the gun into the school on his own. The assault-style rife could not be broken down, but Gray hid it in his backpack."
gbi.georgia.gov

Frequently Asked Questions: Apalachee High School Shooting

Last updated September 13, 2024 at 8:33 a.m. Where do I go for more information? https://gbi.georgia.gov/press-releases/2024-09-05/gbi-investigates-scho… What jail was Colt Gray booked into? Gainesville Regional Youth Detention Center What jail was Colin Gray booked into? Barrow County Jail
gbi.georgia.gov
gbi.georgia.gov

To state the obvious, this tragedy will take an enormous toll on the mental health of the survivors.

This article explicates how there was a mental health crisis in the school PRIOR to the shooting, and how apparently resources are slim in that area.

It also has positive news about ways that outside mental health counselors are trying to help.

I don't know where the 450 idea originated from, but that is the round being fired. There is an AR available to fire 450 bushmaster. However, the "not able to be broken down" comment is still perplexing. Part of the popularity of the AR concept is the ability to break it down and use different upper receivers. But keep in mind that while an AR may have a short stock, it cannot have NO stock like an AK can. In an AR, the buffer spring extends into the stock.

I would add, there are literally dozens and dozens of school threats ongoing....here are just a few in Pennsylvania....

There's an entire system shut down at a local school system here today. I wouldn't want to be a Superintendent and have to make that decision.

There's an entire system shut down at a local school system here today. I wouldn't want to be a Superintendent and have to make that decision.
A school in my city went into lockdown this week because of a gun incident. I don't even recall the details (though no one was hurt) as there have been other similar incidents popping up in headlines lately and they blur together.

jmo

Speculation: will there be lawsuits coming? jmo

Article states rifle was not broken down but carried into the school in CG's backpack, however, it was obscured so it wasn't noticeable.

Supposedly, CG had some things that made it concealed.

Full article at link...

September 12, 2024 at 2:19 pm EDT

Smith said going to the office with his possessions “was not uncommon. He asked to go up front and speak to someone at the front, and when you do that you take your belongings with you, so the teacher allowed him to leave.”

Gray went to the restroom, pulled out the gun and started shooting, Smith said.

In about a minute, a school resource officer got Gray into custody, but it was enough time for four people to be killed and nine others injured.

The teacher could have texted the principal, another staff member, the SRO. No action is unacceptable and a failure to perform a crucial job function... protecting all students.

Teachers have to get with the program. Protecting students safety is part of their job, administration/school boards need to hold everyone accountable. School safety is paramount !!! Empathy, complacent behavior cost lives. We see this replayed time and time again.

This school was a risk, no metal detectors, appears teachers/staff had no safety plan or failed to implement. A teacher not reporting a threat, a clear failure. A teacher leaving a door open unsecured, a clear failure. A guidance counselor going off to look for the wrong student, a clear failure.

I've yet, to see a school shooting that was NOT a direct result of staff failure to follow written policy.

Moo...
I couldn't disagree more. First we don't know exactly what the teacher saw or heard that prompted the text. Presumably it was something that was a concern to warrant the email, but wasn't an immediate urgent threat. We just don't know what was said. Almost none of the high schools in my state have metal detectors. They did have a plan. The teach DID report a concern/threat. The breakdown seems to have really come when the mother called in and the counselor went looking for the wrong student. That was catastrophic. Teachers are there to teach students.

Now that the court has assigned the father a lawyer, I would imagine that pretty soon they will request a bond hearing. The father appears to have had a job and home in the community and doesn't appear to be a risk for flight or a danger to the community, so I assume that he would be eligible for bond.
Yes, the will set a bond, and I expect him to bond out.

I don't know where the 450 idea originated from, but that is the round being fired. There is an AR available to fire 450 bushmaster. However, the "not able to be broken down" comment is still perplexing. Part of the popularity of the AR concept is the ability to break it down and use different upper receivers. But keep in mind that while an AR may have a short stock, it cannot have NO stock like an AK can. In an AR, the buffer spring extends into the stock.
Very well explained. You did a much better job than I could have.

,450 is the round/bushmaster claimed to have been used in the deer hunting excursion found in the attached link, and I think some may have thought that rifle was used in the school shooting, which is wasn't, as the school shooting rifle is purported to have been purchased in December of 2023, and the deer hunting excursion was a year ago.

She called the school in a panic on the morning of Sept. 4 after getting the message, which said "I'm sorry," and said Colin Gray, the boy's father, received similar text messages that morning.

thank you it couldn't have been more obvious staring me in the face

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaliaDelilah
Back