GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - An assault-style rifle wasn’t the only weapon the suspected Apalachee High School shooter allegedly brought to class, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).

Sep. 13, 2024 at 9:55 AM EDT|Updated: 1 hour ago

There are concerns over his (ColG) safety.

ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - The father of the suspected Apalachee High School shooter, also facing charges himself, filed a motion to be separated from the other inmates in Barrow County custody.

Sep. 11, 2024 at 7:57 PM EDT

This is why I keep bringing it up. My opinion, some things don't quite add up yet, in my mind, on the issue of the rifle, what exactly the kind of rifle it was, how it is being called an ar15 style rifle yet doesn't break down, and then, how it was brought in to the school in a backpack, with what I'd assume (Opinion only) had the barrel sticking out of the backpack, and possibly wrapped with something? or disguised in some fashion?

Couple the above with the aforeposted photo of the rifle, though grainy/fuzzy, it appears to not be a complete rifle, and to be honest, I'm not sure what it really is in that picture.

I would think school personnel would benefit from being aware of just how this rifle was able to be carried in to a classroom, in a backpack, with the barrel sticking out of the pack, possibly disguised in some manner. I think it's extremely critical, and important information, for safety's sake, and in an attempt to be aware, so as to possibly prevent further trouble down the road.

It's not much different than making faculty/staff aware that cocaine can be brought in to school in a chapstick or lipstick container, or weed stuffed in to a pen, or a vape that looks like a cell phone, etc. etc.

Lastly, the entire idea of a rifle being brought in to a school building likely wouldn't be a concern if proper preventative measures were in place at the door, AND, other preventative measures were strictly adhered to by faculty/staff.

View attachment 530970
Sometimes I think that looks like a skateboard in the pic! But it really is too blurry to tell exactly. Could it be multiple items lying on the floor together, one of which may or may not be the gun? There's something on the near side that looks like a tube or cylinder-shaped item, with the opening facing the camera. Maybe a cardboard tube or similar. This may have been what he put over the part of the gun that stuck out of the backpack, to hide it. I think something like that wouldn't have drawn any attention.

thank you it couldn't have been more obvious staring me in the face
I had to go back and read the article a couple of times before I could find it again and wondered where I had seen it the first time, lol. So not that easy to see for me, either.

ATLANTA — The shooting at Apalachee High School forever changed CHEE nation.

On September 4, authorities said 14-year-old Colt Gray asked to be excused from his class, walked to a bathroom where he would later reemerge from and carry out one of the deadliest school shootings to ever happen in Georgia.

ATLANTA — The shooting at Apalachee High School forever changed CHEE nation.

On September 4, authorities said 14-year-old Colt Gray asked to be excused from his class, walked to a bathroom where he would later reemerge from and carry out one of the deadliest school shootings to ever happen in Georgia.

Some new information from this article -

Marcee Gray has said that her son allegedly texted her and his dad that Wednesday morning, “I’m sorry” and “You’re not to blame for this.”

And

Hours after the shooting, 11Alive was outside Colt Gray’s home, where he lived with his dad, Colin Gray and his two younger siblings.

There is so much confusion, one can never be prepared. jmo
snipped

It reminds me of baby-proofing your home when you have a toddler. You can make all the precautions you can think of, but you still need to keep a close eye on the child. You can't stop giving the attention to people and hope socket covers on the outlets are enough.

Probably an inadequate analogy and easy to find fault with it, but all the precautions and procedures don't necessarily mean they provide 100% protection - and we STILL need to pay attention and put effort into watching out for each other's mental states as both prevention and recovery.

jmo

The motion to withdraw is part of the judicial process when a defendant obtains private attorneys.

In the court document, Ragas said Gray’s private attorney filed a motion to take over the case on Wednesday, Sept. 11.

Court records now list Jimmy Berry and Brian Hobbs representing the older Gray.

Alfonso Kraft Jr. is listed as the teenager’s attorney, according to the Barrow County Clerk’s Office

The motion to withdraw is part of the judicial process when a defendant obtains private attorneys.

In the court document, Ragas said Gray’s private attorney filed a motion to take over the case on Wednesday, Sept. 11.

Court records now list Jimmy Berry and Brian Hobbs representing the older Gray.

Alfonso Kraft Jr. is listed as the teenager’s attorney, according to the Barrow County Clerk’s Office
Where on earth is the money for private representation coming from? Weren't they destitute not that long ago?

MOO

Wouldn't the teacher and any classroom aides having one be enough in most emergencies? The idea being to get help from outside the classroom rather than every individual student contacting their parents for a final phone call? When you consider all the downsides to teaching in a room full of students with phones.
Well not if they’re the first ones shot. Think about uvalde - the only way they knew that there were still some students alive in that one classroom was because one of the students kept calling them asking if someone was coming to help. And if we’re not gonna do anything to protect kids at school the least we can do is give them a cell phone so that they can tell their parents they love them one more time before they die.

Last edited:
I’m sure we could install metal detectors, thought even just doing that would be a huge undertaking (finances aside, just the sheer scope of the project given the number of schools). But what then? Someone has to man these metal detectors. Who does what when the metal detector goes off? Where do these people come from? Forget about who pays for all of this. Where do the actual people come from?
I imagine it’s fairly costly initially, but the process is actually surprisingly easy to implement.

Here’s a video about the system set up in the school district where I work. It’s the second largest in the state (with 56 campuses) and every school now has a weapons detection scanner.

In the video, two district employees are overseeing the morning scanning process… but each of our schools also has at least one armed security guard (some of the larger high schools have more than one) who is employed by an outside security firm. Nevertheless, school employees are assigned to “scanning duty” on a rotational basis similar to “recess duty”.

I imagine it’s fairly costly initially, but the process is actually surprisingly easy to implement.

Here’s a video about the system set up in the school district where I work. It’s the second largest in the state (with 56 campuses) and every school now has a weapons detection scanner.

In the video, two district employees are overseeing the morning scanning process… but each of our schools also has at least one armed security guard (some of the larger high schools have more than one) who is employed by an outside security firm. Nevertheless, school employees are assigned to “scanning duty” on a rotational basis similar to “recess duty”.
Our schools have the exact system. We have two at each High Schools and one at all middle and elementary.

Did a double take in the logo, ours is very similar.

(We've had two threats in 2 days, 2 arrest)

So two random teachers/school employees are offered up on the daily to do what, exactly, if a student comes through this detection system with a gun? Ask them to hand it over? Attempt to take it from them? Teachers should not be expected to handle an armed student for goodness sakes, unless of course the teachers are also allowed to be armed if they prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightningwill