GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So two random teachers/school employees are offered up on the daily to do what, exactly, if a student comes through this detection system with a gun? Ask them to hand it over? Attempt to take it from them? Teachers should not be expected to handle an armed student for goodness sakes, unless of course the teachers are also allowed to be armed if they prefer.
In Ohio, teachers are allowed to have guns in the classroom after 24 hours of training.

I am sickened by how these events are turned into attention-grabbing news, with reporters interviewing students just a short time after such a traumatizing event. These are children who cannot give consent to being interviewed at this time, in my opinion. I am a teacher. I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.
100% agree. Schools need TSA level security measures. This has to be stopped, we have had enough!

How does somebody bring an assault rifle into a high school without nobody noticing.
That is an excellent question. I am so disgusted with our government, kids are our most precious resource, and all the pols ever do is pontificate in front of the cameras. Invest our tax dollars where it counts, for a change. We have the technology, but not the guts to implement it.

So two random teachers/school employees are offered up on the daily to do what, exactly, if a student comes through this detection system with a gun? Ask them to hand it over? Attempt to take it from them? Teachers should not be expected to handle an armed student for goodness sakes, unless of course the teachers are also allowed to be armed if they prefer.

In a world where even highly trained and competent police officers sometimes accidentally shoot someone because they believe the person is holding a weapon, my thought is that teachers should absolutely not be armed, whether they prefer to or not. This is the wrong solution to the problem. Schools should not be battle fields.

MOO.

Depends on what you are hunting. Semi automatic is just a repeating rifle, one that auto reloads the next round after a shot. You still have to release the trigger and pull the trigger again to get that round to fire. One round per trigger pull, but the next round auto loads. Remington makes semi automatic shotguns.

An AR 15 is a great varmint gun, but most are a little small on caliber and accuracy for hunting large animals. Maybe rabbits and such. They have a bad rap in general because they look like automatic weapons (which imo no one actually needs outside of war or a stampede coming at you), but a Winchester 308 is far more accurate and deadly. The bad thing about an ar15 is that it can be broken down and hidden easier and that, again imo, is a reason you hear about them in shootings. Someone would notice a person carrying a 308. An AR 15 will fit in a backpack.
In a earlier post, I believed the shooter used an aK-47, I believe now that I was mistaken, if it was an AR 15. Either way, an automatic rifle can fire multiple rounds per minute, causing many casualties before someone can intervene.

Never understood why phones were ever allowed in the classroom or workplace, it’s just not necessary.
I don’t think phones belong in the classroom, period.

Jmo
IME previous working in school administration…when/if schools try to enact no phones policies, parents throw a fit and get very vocal. Phones are a very hot button especially after shootings (parents want them to communicate in an emergency).

IME previous working in school administration…when/if schools try to enact no phones policies, parents throw a fit and get very vocal. Phones are a very hot button especially after shootings (parents want them to communicate in an emergency).
In an emergency like this case I think it's best for students to listen to instructions given by teachers and school staff on what to do or not do.

Having every student talking to upset parents is not conducive to doing that. JMO.

In an emergency like this case I think it's best for students to listen to instructions given by teachers and school staff on what to do or not do.

Having every student talking to upset parents is not conducive to doing that. JMO.

I find it difficult to be passionate about an anti-phone policy when texting or calling parents is literally the last thing a kid may be able to do.

MOO

I don’t know if it was said or not because so much has been going on in this post but I think every school should have metal detectors at almost every entrance and the other entrances should b locked at all times 4 people 2 get in

In a world where even highly trained and competent police officers sometimes accidentally shoot someone because they believe the person is holding a weapon, my thought is that teachers should absolutely not be armed, whether they prefer to or not. This is the wrong solution to the problem. Schools should not be battle fields.

MOO.
I'm torn on this one. In a perfect world, no one, not student or adult, would go into a school and start shooting innocent children.

In defense of your argument, arming teachers increases the risk of accidental discharge or a teacher firing mistakenly at an innocent person during a chaotic event. Plus, most teachers are not trained to handle that sort of high-stress situation. A student could conceivably take the weapon away. Plus there's a potential for escalation. School culture has certainly changed and that's not a good thing.

On the flip side, an armed teacher can respond before LE arrives and could save lives. Armed teachers add a layer of additional protection to existing security measures. Arming teachers is cost-effective compared to hiring additional armed security personnel. And some teachers will feel more empowered during their work day.

It's a decision I would not want to make for a school because there are pros and cons to both sides.

I'm just sorry we've gotten ourselves into such a spot where the mentally ill think it's a good idea to kill innocent children.

Then I ask myself -- if I was armed and a shooting started, would I have the nerve to head toward the shooting and challenge the shooter? I would hope so, but even the cops hid outside Uvalde while the children were slaughtered.

I can see both sides of this one.

In a world where even highly trained and competent police officers sometimes accidentally shoot someone because they believe the person is holding a weapon, my thought is that teachers should absolutely not be armed, whether they prefer to or not.
MOO.
This would be a very big concern for me too.

This is also a world in which police officers sometimes shoot the wrong person, maybe not even accidentally but due to prejudice. JMO. There have been cases here on WS where lots of mbrs here say that police officer should never have been an officer. Yet he/she (usually 'he' I think) was.

Even though anybody (including a teacher) who shoots a school-shooter and saves students and teachers, will probably feel good about that, they may also feel 'all sorts of other stuff' and need psychological help afterwards. Police officers and soldiers etc are trained for that, teachers aren't. Apparently the act of killing someone can be enough to give a soldier ptsd, called 'perpetrator trauma'. What about a teacher? You might not want to call it 'perpetrator trauma' because the teacher was trying to protect people, but that wouldn't stop them from being traumatised.

What happens to the teacher who could've shot, but didn't? Will they be charged?

I think the idea of arming teachers is opening up a minefield.

I can't name my solution here and unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen in the US.

JMO MOO

This would be a very big concern for me too.

This is also a world in which police officers sometimes shoot the wrong person, maybe not even accidentally but due to prejudice. JMO. There have been cases here on WS where lots of mbrs here say that police officer should never have been an officer. Yet he/she (usually 'he' I think) was.

Even though anybody (including a teacher) who shoots a school-shooter and saves students and teachers, will probably feel good about that, they may also feel 'all sorts of other stuff' and need psychological help afterwards. Police officers and soldiers etc are trained for that, teachers aren't. Apparently the act of killing someone can be enough to give a soldier ptsd, called 'perpetrator trauma'. What about a teacher? You might not want to call it 'perpetrator trauma' because the teacher was trying to protect people, but that wouldn't stop them from being traumatised.

What happens to the teacher who could've shot, but didn't? Will they be charged?

I think the idea of arming teachers is opening up a minefield.

I can't name my solution here and unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen in the US.

JMO MOO
And what's to stop a kid grabbing a gun from an armed staff member? People try it on cops all the time.

MOO

In a earlier post, I believed the shooter used an aK-47, I believe now that I was mistaken, if it was an AR 15. Either way, an automatic rifle can fire multiple rounds per minute, causing many casualties before someone can intervene.
Right. There is a MAJOR difference between a semi automatic and automatic. Because certain semi automatics look a lot like an automatic, people don't realize they are NOT the same, are not intended to be used for the same things. IMO, an automatic has one purpose: to shoot as many rounds in whatever direction it is pointing as fast as it will allow. Mainly to kill as many armed people coming at you as possible or shoot up/destroy something. Not target shooting, not single animal hunting, only self defense if you expect to be attacked by a gang of armed people intent on killing you. Not what I would call a "sportsman" gun. I say this because there are a lot of reasons a person might own a semi automatic. Very few reasons to need an automatic in every day life, though I could understand keeping one "just in case". In my world, it would be locked up unless needed. But unless you are shooting against an automatic, a semi is all you would ever need.

Point being, not unusual to have a semi automatic. Used for various things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMsleuth1027
Back