GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So two random teachers/school employees are offered up on the daily to do what, exactly, if a student comes through this detection system with a gun? Ask them to hand it over? Attempt to take it from them? Teachers should not be expected to handle an armed student for goodness sakes, unless of course the teachers are also allowed to be armed if they prefer.
In Ohio, teachers are allowed to have guns in the classroom after 24 hours of training.

I am sickened by how these events are turned into attention-grabbing news, with reporters interviewing students just a short time after such a traumatizing event. These are children who cannot give consent to being interviewed at this time, in my opinion. I am a teacher. I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.
100% agree. Schools need TSA level security measures. This has to be stopped, we have had enough!

How does somebody bring an assault rifle into a high school without nobody noticing.
That is an excellent question. I am so disgusted with our government, kids are our most precious resource, and all the pols ever do is pontificate in front of the cameras. Invest our tax dollars where it counts, for a change. We have the technology, but not the guts to implement it.

I don't really understand how so many were shot if the student resource officers engaged him quickly. How long was the gap between the shooter entering and being confronted? This was not addressed.
The AK-47 has a cyclic rate of 600 rounds per minute when fully automatic. Its practical rate of fire is 40 rounds per minute in semi-automatic mode.

So two random teachers/school employees are offered up on the daily to do what, exactly, if a student comes through this detection system with a gun? Ask them to hand it over? Attempt to take it from them? Teachers should not be expected to handle an armed student for goodness sakes, unless of course the teachers are also allowed to be armed if they prefer.

In a world where even highly trained and competent police officers sometimes accidentally shoot someone because they believe the person is holding a weapon, my thought is that teachers should absolutely not be armed, whether they prefer to or not. This is the wrong solution to the problem. Schools should not be battle fields.

MOO.

Depends on what you are hunting. Semi automatic is just a repeating rifle, one that auto reloads the next round after a shot. You still have to release the trigger and pull the trigger again to get that round to fire. One round per trigger pull, but the next round auto loads. Remington makes semi automatic shotguns.

An AR 15 is a great varmint gun, but most are a little small on caliber and accuracy for hunting large animals. Maybe rabbits and such. They have a bad rap in general because they look like automatic weapons (which imo no one actually needs outside of war or a stampede coming at you), but a Winchester 308 is far more accurate and deadly. The bad thing about an ar15 is that it can be broken down and hidden easier and that, again imo, is a reason you hear about them in shootings. Someone would notice a person carrying a 308. An AR 15 will fit in a backpack.
In a earlier post, I believed the shooter used an aK-47, I believe now that I was mistaken, if it was an AR 15. Either way, an automatic rifle can fire multiple rounds per minute, causing many casualties before someone can intervene.

Never understood why phones were ever allowed in the classroom or workplace, it’s just not necessary.
I don’t think phones belong in the classroom, period.

Jmo
IME previous working in school administration…when/if schools try to enact no phones policies, parents throw a fit and get very vocal. Phones are a very hot button especially after shootings (parents want them to communicate in an emergency).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaborde2576
Back