GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I get the sentiment, as infamy is what these guys want. They tend to research past shooters, and occasionally try to one-up them. Each shooting perpetuates the next.

I like to learn everything I can about these guys though, and their names will always be out there, unfortunately.
I don't care if the name is specifically mentioned ("shooter" is good enough ID for me), but I **DO** want to know what factors lead to the violence. I absolutely want to know and to face the crude fact that we live in a culture that perpetuates and tolerates this.

jmo

How many marginalized/bullied teenagers who send off red flags for months and have access to guns they use to shoot people does it take before we proactively intervene with kids like this?

I bet you his 2nd grade teacher knew exactly who it was before the news came out.

CNN is just reporting that the suspect is a 14-year-old boy. :(

JMO
I was listening to Fox 5 Atlanta's live stream on the way home, and they were interviewing a female student. She said that he is a classmate of hers, and that it was on the 10th grade hallway, going from room to room. 14 years old sounds around the right age, maybe a little younger. Absolutely terrible.

Army Black hawk helicopter searching east of HS the last hour.
Screenshot_20240904-144855.png

I was checking flight tracker this morning for another thread in the Northern VA area. I noticed several jets and two choppers take off from Quantico. Not unusual and usually it's related to WH traveling. This AM the planes headed SW, at a high rate of speed. I followed them down to the Winder, Ga

ABC Live (cable) just interviewed a female student. Her friend was shot. She stated many videos being posted of the area of the shooting on line.
Moo...

Not all schools have metal detectors. I live in Georgia, though hours away from Winder, and up until last year my kids’ HS was an open campus. No metal detectors.

On Friday a popular girl from a very well-known, prominent family was arrested for posting on social media that she was going to kill (shoot) a teacher over a test grade. It’s caused a local uproar, with many people saying things like she was just upset, she wasn’t really going to do anything, her dad comes from a long line of attorneys and she’ll get off. I admit I was shocked, I’ve known this girl since she was about 9 and it’s totally out of character. But I’m glad she was arrested and even more glad that a friend saw her post and reported it.

I am sickened by how these events are turned into attention-grabbing news, with reporters interviewing students just a short time after such a traumatizing event. These are children who cannot give consent to being interviewed at this time, in my opinion. I am a teacher. I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.

That makes me speculate that the gun was available at the shooter's home.

I would be keeping all guns locked up as a parent since the parents in Michigan went to prison. Of course, our guns were always locked up anyway. And even now, are secured in a gun safe. I don't even think I have the combination...Maybe it is written down somewhere.

ABC Live (cable) just interviewed a female student. Her friend was shot. She stated many videos being posted of the area of the shooting on line.
Moo...
If it is the same student, she described seing her Maths teacher under a white sheet with a pool of blood. Horrifying. She is in shock, and needs to be taken care of, not reliving these moments.

I am sickened by how these events are turned into attention-grabbing news, with reporters interviewing students just a short time after such a traumatizing event. These are children who cannot give consent to being interviewed at this time, in my opinion. I am a teacher. I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.
I agree. Leave the kids alone. jmo

I am also interested in how this will affect the policies so many school districts want to implement about confiscating cellphones at schools.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read about the cell phone bans. I wouldn't want my child to be in this kind of situation without a phone. It's not a weapon, but it's better than nothing.

so would it help if we executed school shooters? they seem to not value themselves or anything when they engage so is anything a deterrent?
It's very unusual for a school shooter to come out of it alive. This one is unusual. As far as execution, we have the death penalty in Georgia, but with the reported age of this shooter, who knows if it will be on the table. It's going to be interesting as to why he did what he did. IMO.

I am also interested in how this will affect the policies so many school districts want to implement about confiscating cellphones at schools.
Virginia cell policy takes effect Jan 2025. Phones are allowed before and after school and during lunch. Many schools in Virginia have already implemented policies.

It's a hard decision, but many teachers spend 70% of their time asking students to put up their phones, it disrupts the entire class teaching time. I know in my local HS, fighting in school in down 70%, drug overdoes down to zero. It was so bad we had LE in the cafeteria daily, in addition to the school resource officer. Fighting was daily, overdoses several times each month. Seems kids make plans during the day to retaliate, attack, drug deals, etc. kids in the hallways and during lunch. So far we've seen a positive impact.
A few ruin it for everyone.

Moo...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member