GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's the first thing I thought of when I read about the cell phone bans. I wouldn't want my child to be in this kind of situation without a phone. It's not a weapon, but it's better than nothing.
The implementation of a cellphone ban in my city has been postponed. The postponement happened before today's shooting, but I'm guessing the postponement might become indefinite.

jmo

I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.

I retired after 25 years of teaching English to 8th graders in NYC.

In all that time, we only had one incident in which all the lockdown drills suddenly turned into an actual lockdown, which lasted for about two hours.

It emerged that the student in question had a fake gun, but it was a dreadful experience. My students were in a quiet panic, but what helped me decide to retire was the reaction my own family had about my own safety.

Two of my grandchildren are still school-aged, and it’s just unspeakable that we should have to fear every day that an incident like this may occur.

As to cell phones…when I was a new teacher, hands in the desk and eyes cast down meant they were playing with a Gameboy. As years went by and cell phones became ubiquitous, our principal demanded that all homeroom teachers (I was one) had to confiscate all cell phones during morning homeroom and place them in one of those closet shoe bags.

The commotion involved was a daily challenge. Some parents were in favor and some against. Some parents were concerned that they wouldn’t be able to reach their kids in an emergency, so we had to tell them to call the main office for that.

Not in an English class, because their work involved essay writing, but in classes such as Science where multiple choice tests were common, a crafty student would use the phone to take a picture of the test and forward that to friends whose class was coming next period. This way they would know the questions in advance and find the answers before the test.

Therefore most teachers really are in favor of banning cell phone use during class, but I can absolutely understand the need for it in case of emergency. The students cannot leave a class during lockdown so they have no way of getting their phones, unless they happen to be in a class that is also their homeroom.

My heart breaks more each time we hear about one of these tragic incidents. I agree, it’s gone from a rare event to a steady stream now.

God help the families. Public schools in NYC don’t even begin until tomorrow.

JMO and JME.

Last edited:
How many marginalized/bullied teenagers who send off red flags for months and have access to guns they use to shoot people does it take before we proactively intervene with kids like this?

I bet you his 2nd grade teacher knew exactly who it was before the news came out.
What does proactively intervene mean to you? What would that look like? TIA

Colt Gray, 14 years old, has been identified as the alleged shooter at a high school in Winder, GA that killed two students and two teachers earlier today, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesperson.

They say he will be charged as an adult.

UPDATE | Apalachee High School Shooting @GBI_GA
•10:28AM received alerts of active shooter
•LEO’s & SRO’s encountered suspect
•Suspect immediately surrendered
•4 dead: 2 students, 2 teachers
•Colt Gray, 14YO student at HS ID’d as suspect
•9 victims rushed hospitals

Virginia cell policy takes effect Jan 2025. Phones are allowed before and after school and during lunch. Many schools in Virginia have already implemented policies.

It's a hard decision, but many teachers spend 70% of their time asking students to put up their phones, it disrupts the entire class teaching time. I know in my local HS, fighting in school in down 70%, drug overdoes down to zero. It was so bad we had LE in the cafeteria daily, in addition to the school resource officer. Fighting was daily, overdoses several times each month. Seems kids make plans during the day to retaliate, attack, drug deals, etc. kids in the hallways and during lunch. So far we've seen a positive impact.
A few ruin it for everyone.

Moo...
Ohio allows the schools to decide on a district-by-district basis. Many went to a similar policy as what you described, and it started this school year. It's been positive here as well.

Sheriff Smith, BCSD

He's really choked up.
Governor has reached to it with resources.
LE and EMS prevented many more injuries.

Superintendent
Schools closed week,. administration offices open, grief counseling will be available.

Sherriff
Shooter armed, SRO engaged, shooter gave up, got on ground and was taken into custody.
Shooter was interrogated by GBI and LE.

Moo

WINDER, Ga. — Law enforcement has identified the alleged shooter who opened fire inside a high school in Barrow County on Wednesday, killing four people and hospitalizing nine.

The alleged shooter was identified as 14-year-old Colt Gray. The teen was a student at Apalachee High School, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said. He has been charged with murder, and he will be tried as an adult, the GBI said.

He is alive and in custody, the GBI said in a post on X.

Colt Gray, 14 years old, has been identified as the alleged shooter at a high school in Winder, GA that killed two students and two teachers earlier today, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesperson.

They say he will be charged as an adult.

UPDATE | Apalachee High School Shooting @GBI_GA
•10:28AM received alerts of active shooter
•LEO’s & SRO’s encountered suspect
•Suspect immediately surrendered
•4 dead: 2 students, 2 teachers
•Colt Gray, 14YO student at HS ID’d as suspect
•9 victims rushed hospitals

Any status on the 9? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online