GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sheriff Smith, BCSD

He's really choked up.
Governor has reached to it with resources.
LE and EMS prevented many more injuries.

Superintendent
Schools closed week,. administration offices open, grief counseling will be available.

Sherriff
Shooter armed, SRO engaged, shooter gave up, got on ground and was taken into custody.
Shooter was interrogated by GBI and LE.

Moo
I don't really understand how so many were shot if the student resource officers engaged him quickly. How long was the gap between the shooter entering and being confronted? This was not addressed.

I’m unfamiliar with the school system in Georgia.

I presume that at 14 years old, CG would have only attended that school for a month or so? A freshman? If public schools in Georgia begin in early August?

It seems to be very early to have developed a grudge against the school, a particular teacher, a particular student or anything else that may have set him off.

I’ll hazard a guess that something was brewing in him prior to high school. Perhaps he saw some familiar faces in his freshman classes that he’d not gotten along with in middle school and was angry to still be with them?

I’m really completely speculating. In NYC kids from the same middle school go to all different high schools and often feel they are given a fresh start. I’ve never heard of Winder and possibly it’s small enough that most students travel through their schools together???

@georgiajean Going by your name and occupation, will you clue me in as to how the school system works there?

A student on CNN is saying that CG was a non-talkative kid and she felt if it were anyone, it’d be him.

Just my speculation.

Last edited:
We spent an entire day of our back-to-school professional development (different state) meeting with LE to discuss evacuation plans, tour our reunification site and walk through the process of reuniting students with their parents. While it's nice to know there's a plan in place, it really feels like we're planning for "when" not "if" at this point. A very sobering welcome back to school.

Ugh… regular school shootings will continue as long as shootings continue to get sensationalized. In most cases the killer gets more coverage than the actual victims.

Just some thoughts —
Many teachers, especially in public schools, are not equipped to handle or do not bother to report or deal with instances of student bullying or harassment going on in their classroom. Bullying/harassment has spiked. With new generations becoming more online, sometimes long-term bullying can go under the radar and it isn’t always physical. Even if a teacher does address bullying and report it to higher ups, not much is done.

Many of these shooters come from broken homes or have undiagnosed mental health conditions. Poor mental health is becoming a big, big problem. Children feel that they have nothing to look forward to as they grow up as they’re only fed with negative news from all angles.

Teachers report that new generations of students entering school have been some of the worst they’ve ever taught — very violent, more asocial, less likely to do their work, more likely to pick up fights or joke around or cause disruptions. Nowadays there’s also routine stories of teachers getting attacked or violently assaulted by students on the news like… every day, honestly. As I’m rather young, IMO, I wouldn’t ever be comfortable teaching as I’ve personally seen how my own teachers were treated by peers — sometimes broken down to the point of crying and quitting.

Lastly, a lot of discourse & indoctrination can go on behind closed doors in private/untraceable Internet servers or social media groups between people these days. It’s very easy to just hand your kid an iPad or PC and let them spend hours on it but it can come with fatal consequences. The vast majority of parents have absolutely no clue what their kid is up to online… forget this, they have no idea who their kid actually is, period.

*All of the above are my own thoughts and opinions*

That makes me speculate that the gun was available at the shooter's home.
Ding ding ding.

I would think the parents to be the likely source of the gun and bullets as well.
Is it true that in Georgia a minor can possess a rifle or shotgun as long as it was given to him by a parent and they remain on their own property?

If a student displays problematic behavior at school they can be guided into an intervention program.
I wonder how many parents push back and say "But my child is an angel!"

Oddly, children are so resilient and matter of fact about these things. Just another "drill". Shelter in Place. Not unlike we were, back in the day, safely secured under our desks in case of a nuclear bomb. Now, let's go eat lunch.

Yes, but also no.

I well remember having to go under the desks in case of a nuclear attack.

The difference between our generation and these generations is that none of us ever were victimized by an actual nuclear attack. That’s why it was so ho-hum.

These children, though, unfortunately see that these school shootings actually do happen, have happened and likely will happen again.

IMO

We spent an entire day of our back-to-school professional development (different state) meeting with LE to discuss evacuation plans, tour our reunification site and walk through the process of reuniting students with their parents. While it's nice to know there's a plan in place, it really feels like we're planning for "when" not "if" at this point. A very sobering welcome back to school.
Are you expected to provide any equipment out of your own pocket for your safety (and the students)? Door stop devices, bucket of sand?

A family member works in school admin and she experienced kids wearing (plates? Not sure of the term) sheets of bulletproof material in their backpacks.

Oddly, children are so resilient and matter of fact about these things. Just another "drill". Shelter in Place. Not unlike we were, back in the day, safely secured under our desks in case of a nuclear bomb. Now, let's go eat lunch.
The idea of a child being resilient and acclimatized to the daily possibility that they will die violently or watch a trusted teacher or friend die is so horrific to me, I don't know how any actual parent copes with the thought.

I wonder if he had difficulty in the school system with that name. Maybe teachers or other students remarked on it regularly? I imagine it would be a tough one to grow into an adult with.

Are you expected to provide any equipment out of your own pocket for your safety (and the students)? Door stop devices, bucket of sand?

A family member works in school admin and she experienced kids wearing (plates? Not sure of the term) sheets of bulletproof material in their backpacks.
They've talked about the door stop devices, etc but so far nothing actually provided.

I've heard of the backpacks but don't know if any of the students at our school are using them.

When will this end.

How can somebody at 14 years of age have so much hatred stored up in them.

My heart goes out to the four deceased and I send my thoughts to the 9 rushed to hospital - I feel horrendously for the parents anxiously waiting outside the school for their child to come out knowing that two children won’t return.

Also to the Media please act with class and in the interest of the children - sticking a camera and a microphone in front of a student who has just been in an absolutely terrifying incident is disgrace - The poor student is in complete shock.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mhmkay..
Back