GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The shooter left his own classroom and couldn’t get back in because the door was shut, and had locked automatically. So he went to the next classroom where the door was open and started shooting.

Maybe all classroom doors should be closed during classes?

Shortly after, Colt returned to the classroom outside the shut door, which Lyela said locks automatically. She said a girl in the class went to open the door for him but then jumped backward after presumedly seeing that he had a gun.

“I guess he saw we weren’t going to let him in. And I guess the classroom next to me, their door was open so I think he just started shooting in the classroom,” Lyela told CNN.

We had a middle school shooting where I live in 2018. Three of my friends had sons in the school during the shooting.

The shooter was only 13 years old, and he was released from detention last year, despite the community’s efforts to keep him locked up.

Investigators from the sheriff’s office in Jackson County, Ga., interviewed the suspect and his father, the F.B.I. said. His father told investigators that he had hunting guns in the house, but said that his son did not have unsupervised access to the weapons. The suspect denied making the threats.

The F.B.I. said that the Jackson County authorities alerted local schools “for continued monitoring of the subject.” But it was unclear if officials at Apalachee High School, where the shooting took place and the suspect was a student this year, had been among those informed; the school is in Winder, Ga., in neighboring Barrow County.

In a separate statement, Janis G. Mangum, the sheriff in Jackson County, said that a “thorough investigation was conducted,” but that “the gaming site threats could not be substantiated.”

Ms. Mangum cautioned residents to be careful of posts containing misinformation circulating online. “My phone is blowing up with messages from people about social media postings about other possible incidents,” she said in a note on Facebook. “To my knowledge, there is not a list indicating any of this.”

One woman identified her father, David Phenix, as one of the surviving victims. She says Phenix, a curriculum assistant and coach at the school, was shot in the foot and hip.

Gray is currently being held in a Department of Juvenile Justice facility.

Emergency responders were alerted to the shooting due to teachers having a form of identification that had a type of panic button on it, a law enforcement member said at the news briefing. He added that they had only had those kinds of IDs for "about a week."

"My teacher goes and opens the door to see what's going on. Another teacher comes running in and tells her to close the door because there's an active shooter," Caldera told ABC News.

He said his teacher locked the door and the students ran to the back of the room. Caldera said they heard screams from outside as they "huddled up."

At some point, Caldera said someone pounded on his classroom door and shouted "open up!" multiple times. When the knocking stopped, Caldera said he heard more gunshots and screams.

I worked 20 years in public school in the U.S. and am quite familiar with emergency drills of all types, including intruder in the building, lockdown, call it what you will. I'm also quite familiar with crisis response theory/tactics. Lastly, quite familiar with the entire workings of mental health services, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, student assistance programs, children and youth services, juvenile probation, etc. etc.

In most of these shooting cases, I'll opine, as in this one, the shooter has a history. One of the problems is, and I repeat...ONE of various problems, believe it or not, money. When a child needs services, will the school pay? Or will Children and Youth services take the helm? Or will it be Juvenile Probation? When a child needs services, in particular, placement in another facility for behavioral or mental health concerns, somebody has to pay for that. The issue becomes quite complex in terms of need vs resources, parental involvement/approval, child involvement/approval, legal ramifications, service availability, etc. etc. etc.

Another issue becomes law relative to educati
I worked 20 years in public school in the U.S. and am quite familiar with emergency drills of all types, including intruder in the building, lockdown, call it what you will. I'm also quite familiar with crisis response theory/tactics. Lastly, quite familiar with the entire workings of mental health services, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, student assistance programs, children and youth services, juvenile probation, etc. etc.

In most of these shooting cases, I'll opine, as in this one, the shooter has a history. One of the problems is, and I repeat...ONE of various problems, believe it or not, money. When a child needs services, will the school pay? Or will Children and Youth services take the helm? Or will it be Juvenile Probation? When a child needs services, in particular, placement in another facility for behavioral or mental health concerns, somebody has to pay for that. The issue becomes quite complex in terms of need vs resources, parental involvement/approval, child involvement/approval, legal ramifications, service availability, etc. etc. etc.

Another issue becomes law relative to education. Public schools for the most part are charged with educating all school age eligible children who reside in their respective district, no matter the circumstance, be it language barrier, mental health, physical limitations or whatsoever. So, no matter the history of a child, that child, by law, must be in school.

In addition, law prevents exposure to, or the revealing of, a child's record, including mental health history, be it whatsoever, and normally those charged with providing such services, including counselors, therapists, school officials, etc. would never reveal details of a child's behavioral/mental health history to the public. (Some of the items found in these student files is quite revealing, being recorded and contained in each student's file).

Anyway, I could write volumes on the matter, but suffice it to say, each time I hear of any violent school incident, I pretty much know that there is a history with the shooter, and the details of that history are extant, but kept under lock and key, for various legal reasons.

One more item. I've always said, if you see it in real life, if it exists in our society, you'll see it in our schools. So, whatever you can imagine does and/or will happen on the streets of the U.S., chances are real good those things have, and will happen from time to time in public school....after all, the population in the school is but a sample of the general population, albeit young.

on. Public schools for the most part are charged with educating all school age eligible children who reside in their respective district, no matter the circumstance, be it language barrier, mental health, physical limitations or whatsoever. So, no matter the history of a child, that child, by law, must be in school.

In addition, law prevents exposure to, or the revealing of, a child's record, including mental health history, be it whatsoever, and normally those charged with providing such services, including counselors, therapists, school officials, etc. would never reveal details of a child's behavioral/mental health history to the public. (Some of the items found in these student files is quite revealing, being recorded and contained in each student's file).

Anyway, I could write volumes on the matter, but suffice it to say, each time I hear of any violent school incident, I pretty much know that there is a history with the shooter, and the details of that history are extant, but kept under lock and key, for various legal reasons.

One more item. I've always said, if you see it in real life, if it exists in our society, you'll see it in our schools. So, whatever you can imagine does and/or will happen on the streets of the U.S., chances are real good those things have, and will happen from time to time in public school....after all, the population in the school is but a sample of the general population, albeit young.

All your points are so relevant . It is just so heartbreaking. Just out of curiosity, were you in urban, rural suburb??
i am sure your assessment pertains to most school environments .. but still wonder.

How can we ever make teachers "happy" again.............

Honestly,
When you read the story of one school shooter
it seems you read about them ALL.

It is always the same old sad story.

Parents should be prosecuted too.
The minors are under their care.
These youths are their responsibility till they reach adulthood.

JMO

Another issue becomes law relative to education. Public schools for the most part are charged with educating all school age eligible children who reside in their respective district, no matter the circumstance, be it language barrier, mental health, physical limitations or whatsoever. So, no matter the history of a child, that child, by law, must be in school.

This!! My child had a "cookie cutter" IEP and I had to research the laws and IDEA to properly advocate for services. The schools don't offer if the parents don't know what their child needs/has a right to. Child find is a joke. I completely agree 100% it's about money!!!

Beyond the dead and wounded, children who witness the violence or cower behind locked doors to hide from it can be profoundly traumatized.

The federal government does not track school shootings, so The Washington Post has spent years tracking how many children in the United States have been exposed to gun violence during school hours since the Columbine High massacre in 1999.

The Post pieces together its numbers from news articles, open-source databases, law enforcement reports, and calls to schools and police departments.

There have been 416 school shootings since Columbine​

The most recent school shooting was 2 days ago.

The shooter left his own classroom and couldn’t get back in because the door was shut, and had locked automatically. So he went to the next classroom where the door was open and started shooting.

Maybe all classroom doors should be closed during classes?

Shortly after, Colt returned to the classroom outside the shut door, which Lyela said locks automatically. She said a girl in the class went to open the door for him but then jumped backward after presumedly seeing that he had a gun.

“I guess he saw we weren’t going to let him in. And I guess the classroom next to me, their door was open so I think he just started shooting in the classroom,” Lyela told CNN.

I used to bring this up when my kids were in school. It wasn't for fear of a shooter, but because its a distraction to the students in the classroom. Noises, people walking by, etc. Close the door for goodness sake.

Editor’s note, 4/24/22: Readers may wonder why this database does not include the New York City subway shooting on April 12, the school shooting in Washington, DC, on April 22, or other such attacks in which fewer than three victims died; for additional context on the challenges of defining and tracking mass shootings, and on our approach, see this pieceand this piece.]

Beyond the dead and wounded, children who witness the violence or cower behind locked doors to hide from it can be profoundly traumatized.

The federal government does not track school shootings, so The Washington Post has spent years tracking how many children in the United States have been exposed to gun violence during school hours since the Columbine High massacre in 1999.

The Post pieces together its numbers from news articles, open-source databases, law enforcement reports, and calls to schools and police departments.

There have been 416 school shootings since Columbine​

The most recent school shooting was 2 days ago.
100% the other people are traumatized. (And the public at large!)

The kids in that school will be affected forever, and will influence them when they parent too.

The "good" from from this is it seems like the students all acted cooperatively and seriously, so I hope they come away from the tragedy with intact faith in fellow humans.

And the faculty and staff - so much burden of responsibility is put on them - it's too much. They are there to teach and run the school, not be sharp shooters, first-responders, body guards, furniture movers, etc.

jmo

Key Takeaways​

• More than 100,000 American children attended a school at which a shooting took place in 2018 and 2019.
  • Research indicates a higher rate of antidepressant use among those exposed to a school shooting in the years following the gun violence.
  • School shootings lead to drops in student enrollment and a decline in average test scores.
  • School shootings also lead to an increase in student absenteeism and the likelihood of needing to repeat a grade in the two following years.
  • Students exposed to shootings at their schools are less likely to graduate high school, go to college, and graduate college, and they are less likely to be employed and have lower earnings in their mid-20s

No amount of money will help if a child is exposed to routine violence, has a parent in and out of jail continuously, and in and out of rehab/mental health facilities repeatedly.

Edit: This is in response to the post by mtowntra1.

And has easy, unsupervised access to weapons and ammunition. Even worse when they're weapons of mass destruction, designed for military use. According to the news reports, this kid used an AR 15 style rifle. Again. Why are these weapons so prevalent? Who owned it? Who was responsible for keeping it safely stored?

I must be missing a beat here. This kid, along with at least his father, has had previous FBI contact regarding violent threats the kid had made. And LE was a-okay with guns remaining in the home? OHHHHHkay.

I also see parental prosecution coming, just like the Crumbleys.

moo

A neighbor to the family of Colt Gray says she didn’t even know a teen lived there until today. She says she saw what she believes was Colt take the bus to school this morning for 1st time ever - wearing a hoodie & a backpack. The father normally drives him pic.twitter.com/xtUX2bLusH

— Justin Gray (@JustinGrayWSB) September 4, 2024

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob_gf
Back