GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There were four deaths. They’re probably charging strategically and it will shift to four counts of second degree murder or four counts of involuntary manslaughter after grand jury. Don’t want to risk losing the true bill on second degree murder and they have to rush to file new charges.

JMO
It has to do with two of the dead being minors. They list all the charges at first. Who knows what trial or plea deal charges will be next year.

“A phone number associated with the account was linked to a different person in another Georgia city, the report said. The account's profile name, written in Russian, translated to Lanza. The investigator noted that Adam Lanza was the perpetrator of the 2012 mass shooting that killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.”
BBM

The other person’s phone number and the account name written in Russian did not eliminate Colt from posting threats on Discord. I don’t fault the FBI for dropping the case as this would be practically impossible to prove.

Spoofing is when someone uses someone else’s number as their own. I guess the FBI couldn’t prove that Colt was “spoofing” the other person’s phone number. My number has been spoofed before. I didn’t try to find out who did it.

The account’s profile name isn’t actually “translated” to Lanza, and Colt’s father saying he didn’t know Russian (in earlier article) is meaningless. I took Russian and learned the Russian alphabet in college. All Colt would have to do is match each letter in LANZA to the equivalent letter in the Russian alphabet—ЛАНЗА
But again, try proving it.
Google Translate, anyone?
So simple.

Question: with new precedent and ostensibly no statute of limitations on murder, might we see a cascade of retroactive charges against parents in otherwise resolved, past school shootings?

Is this how the tide changes once and for all? Whoever provides the grenade...

JMO
I doubt they would be murder charges for their parents, so likely the statute of limitations has run or is running.

My question is - are parents around the country getting the message? Are they getting rid of guns in the home if they have a young family member who is troubled?

My guess: nope.

jmo
It might make a difference for a few parents. Some of them won’t read the follow ups to these stories and might not realize that they could be charged if their kid does something like this. It might make some rethink what they give their kids as a present. The Crumleys and Mr. Gray gave their sons a weapon for Christmas. This is different than a kid breaking into a secured gunbox or safe. If they know their kid is troubled enough, they should get rid of the temptation to break into a secure box or safe, by removing any guns from the home.

It might make a difference for a few parents. Some of them won’t read the follow ups to these stories and might not realize that they could be charged if their kid does something like this. It might make some rethink what they give their kids as a present. The Crumleys and Mr. Gray gave their sons a weapon for Christmas. This is different than a kid breaking into a secured gunbox or safe. If they know their kid is troubled enough, they should get rid of the temptation to break into a secure box or safe, by removing any guns from the home.
This guy didn’t care about what was going on in his own house, so I can’t imagine he pays attention to the news.

The advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety ranks Georgia 46th nationally for what they call some of the "weakest gun laws in the country."

Permits and background checks are not required in order to purchase firearms in Georgia, including assault weapons.

Gun owners in Georgia are also not legally required to lock up or otherwise securely store firearms away from children.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has a significant track record of supporting pro-gun legislation. In 2022, he signed a bill into a lawthat made it legal for gun owners in the state to carry a concealed weapon in public without first obtaining a license.

Like in every U.S. state, federal law requires a person in Georgia must be at least 18 years old to purchase a firearm, and to not have ever been convicted of a felony.

the only way to provide for safety in a public school is to prevent the weapon from entering the building. I simply cannot, for the life of me, understand why courthouses, government buildings, airports, and a few other entities have secured their buildings, but public schools refuse to do so. Baffling.

Agree agree agree agree agree.

I’ve mentioned somewhere upthread that my school where I spent 25 years did not have metal detectors. My granddaughter’s high school did.

Metal detectors are a pain, just like at the airport and government offices.
Yes.
But they do the job.

A gun, a knife, a box cutter will be intercepted before a child or any perpetrator can bring it into the building.

I’m sure there are ways around it, for example if someone makes one of those 3D printed guns. But by and large, metal detectors will eliminate the vast majority of weapons brought to schools.

Of course you’d need a real police officer manning the entrance in case a genuine weapon is in fact discovered. My school had plenty of school safety officers, but they were limited in what they could do.

My granddaughter’s high school was located in an upscale neighborhood in Brooklyn, not a crime-ridden area. I’m ignorant as to the bureaucratic decisions that determine which school gets that protection and which does not.

It’s not that wealthier parents campaign for their neighborhood school, because NYC students are allowed to apply to 12 different high schools anywhere in NYC, and there is school choice for lower grades (although not utilized as much).

JMO

ETA: Last night I was at a minor league baseball game in Coney Island. We’ve always had our pocketbooks or any bag searched before we enter, but this season there were also metal detectors.
Annoying as always, but mostly such a relief.

I certainly think schools deserve security more so than a minor league stadium.

Last edited:
The advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety ranks Georgia 46th nationally for what they call some of the "weakest gun laws in the country."

Permits and background checks are not required in order to purchase firearms in Georgia, including assault weapons.

Gun owners in Georgia are also not legally required to lock up or otherwise securely store firearms away from children.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has a significant track record of supporting pro-gun legislation. In 2022, he signed a bill into a lawthat made it legal for gun owners in the state to carry a concealed weapon in public without first obtaining a license.

Like in every U.S. state, federal law requires a person in Georgia must be at least 18 years old to purchase a firearm, and to not have ever been convicted of a felony.
I think the only thing out of that list that could potentially have made a difference here is the requirement that gun owners lock up their weapons. I don't think daddy cared about the law though.

"Colt gray" is a shade of gray.sometimes used in gun marleting, on top of "Colt" being a young intact horse.
I grew up with a girl named Kelly Green, which is definitely a known name for a color.

Colt Gray might have been a coincidence.

Regardless of the laws, it is up to gun owners to be RESPONSIBLE with the weapons. Nobody needs a law to tell you a gun that is accessible to a troubled teen is dangerous.

Yes, we have rights....but they come with responsibilities!

I'm taking specifically about guns with kids in the home and even more specifically with the troubled kid in this specific thread.

Find another hobby besides guns when you have a troubled teen in your home. Go fishing, for pete's sake.

jmo

Last edited:
With the precedent of Michigan, I would think that a quick arrest will stem the outrage of the community/nation/world relating to family postings and comments. This man spoke on the record to LE and clearly was unable to ensure that his weapons were secured and his son cared for. IMHO, he should also be charged for child neglect for not getting his son help.
I'm guessing that the "parents" coached him to act this way!

2 counts of second degree murder for the two children that were killed (automatic second degree murder when it involves cruelty to children).
4 counts of involuntary manslaughter for all four deaths (can include lesser charges).
8 counts of cruelty to children for the two children killed and presumably six of the seven children that were injured (only thing I can think of here is that the seventh was injured in the chaos and not directly by the shooter, so they aren’t confident charging that one).
They can also bump up the charges if new evidence emerges.

That's an American attitude Mickey that Canadians can't fathom. Guns as a gift? Parents here even argue whether a toy gun should be given to a child. Water pistols maybe, but that's about it. We just shake our heads, as do those in the UK, Australia, NZ, etc. Hopefully, your younger generation won't adopt such a casual attitude towards guns.

We live in Montana. Where the United States constitution, 2nd amendment is a right we take very seriously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire
Back