GA - Winder - Apalachee High School school shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My question is - are parents around the country getting the message? Are they getting rid of guns in the home if they have a young family member who is troubled?

My guess: nope.

jmo
It might make a difference for a few parents. Some of them won’t read the follow ups to these stories and might not realize that they could be charged if their kid does something like this. It might make some rethink what they give their kids as a present. The Crumleys and Mr. Gray gave their sons a weapon for Christmas. This is different than a kid breaking into a secured gunbox or safe. If they know their kid is troubled enough, they should get rid of the temptation to break into a secure box or safe, by removing any guns from the home.

It might make a difference for a few parents. Some of them won’t read the follow ups to these stories and might not realize that they could be charged if their kid does something like this. It might make some rethink what they give their kids as a present. The Crumleys and Mr. Gray gave their sons a weapon for Christmas. This is different than a kid breaking into a secured gunbox or safe. If they know their kid is troubled enough, they should get rid of the temptation to break into a secure box or safe, by removing any guns from the home.
This guy didn’t care about what was going on in his own house, so I can’t imagine he pays attention to the news.

the only way to provide for safety in a public school is to prevent the weapon from entering the building. I simply cannot, for the life of me, understand why courthouses, government buildings, airports, and a few other entities have secured their buildings, but public schools refuse to do so. Baffling.

Agree agree agree agree agree.

I’ve mentioned somewhere upthread that my school where I spent 25 years did not have metal detectors. My granddaughter’s high school did.

Metal detectors are a pain, just like at the airport and government offices.
Yes.
But they do the job.

A gun, a knife, a box cutter will be intercepted before a child or any perpetrator can bring it into the building.

I’m sure there are ways around it, for example if someone makes one of those 3D printed guns. But by and large, metal detectors will eliminate the vast majority of weapons brought to schools.

Of course you’d need a real police officer manning the entrance in case a genuine weapon is in fact discovered. My school had plenty of school safety officers, but they were limited in what they could do.

My granddaughter’s high school was located in an upscale neighborhood in Brooklyn, not a crime-ridden area. I’m ignorant as to the bureaucratic decisions that determine which school gets that protection and which does not.

It’s not that wealthier parents campaign for their neighborhood school, because NYC students are allowed to apply to 12 different high schools anywhere in NYC, and there is school choice for lower grades (although not utilized as much).

JMO

ETA: Last night I was at a minor league baseball game in Coney Island. We’ve always had our pocketbooks or any bag searched before we enter, but this season there were also metal detectors.
Annoying as always, but mostly such a relief.

I certainly think schools deserve security more so than a minor league stadium.

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to general gun control discussion> I think the only thing <modsnip> that could potentially have made a difference here is the requirement that gun owners lock up their weapons. I don't think daddy cared about the law though.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the precedent of Michigan, I would think that a quick arrest will stem the outrage of the community/nation/world relating to family postings and comments. This man spoke on the record to LE and clearly was unable to ensure that his weapons were secured and his son cared for. IMHO, he should also be charged for child neglect for not getting his son help.
I'm guessing that the "parents" coached him to act this way!

2 counts of second degree murder for the two children that were killed (automatic second degree murder when it involves cruelty to children).
4 counts of involuntary manslaughter for all four deaths (can include lesser charges).
8 counts of cruelty to children for the two children killed and presumably six of the seven children that were injured (only thing I can think of here is that the seventh was injured in the chaos and not directly by the shooter, so they aren’t confident charging that one).
They can also bump up the charges if new evidence emerges.

Next, we need some answers as to how this alleged killer got the gun out of his home, how he got to the school AND how he got that gun into the school.
If some of the reports listed in this thread are true, he took the bus to school that day instead of his father driving him. That may explain how the Dad didn’t see him trying to take it out of the house if, say, the Dad had already gone to work.

As for getting it into the school… if the school didn’t have any metal detectors (I have no idea if they did or not), and he could find a way to fit it into a backpack (just as other shooters have done that in the past), it sadly may have been not as difficult as we’d like to think or imagine.

ADMIN WARNING:

We truly dislike having to say things over and over again and have members disregard not only The Rules, but our reminders of those rules, and instruction re those rules.

Websleuths does not normally allow discussion of gun control. We bent those rules and set up a thread specifically for general gun control discussion to allow members a place to discuss so the topic would not be derailing dedicated threads such as this one. We posted the above post just yesterday, and today we still have members posting in this thread about gun control in general.

This is the last time in this case that this reminder will be posted. Zero tolerance. Members who violate this instruction after this post will receive a Time Out.

If some of the reports listed in this thread are true, he took the bus to school that day instead of his father driving him. That may explain how the Dad didn’t see him trying to take it out of the house if, say, the Dad had already gone to work.

As for getting it into the school… if the school didn’t have any metal detectors (I have no idea if they did or not), and he could find a way to fit it into a backpack (just as other shooters have done that in the past), it sadly may have been not as difficult as we’d like to think or imagine.
They’ve speculated that the Trump shooter broke his rifle down and carried in his backpack. It would have been a very tight fit, but it makes the most sense to me here.

I could see him removing it from his locker and then quickly reassembling it in the bathroom (it would take seconds).

The other issue is the emotional maturity of those who are buying the gun and giving an emotionally immature person who has been asking for help (according to family members) a gun. You have a child accused of making threats who is also asking family for help regarding his mental health AND an adult who after visited by LE 6 months prior about threats buys said child an AR-15, the preferred/favored gun of school shooters.
This is a poster situation for a tragedy to happen.

I agree.

MOO A disassembled AR15 fits in a backpack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purpleflowerrrs
Back