GA - Woman tells Wendy's workers she's been kidnapped

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah...this is kinda fishy. Why not just tell them - why the need to write a note? I mean, if he had her wired or something (had an open cell phone line?) he would hear her ask for the sheet of paper...right?

I hope if this is true...she is found safe.

I hope if it is fake...she is prosecuted! This type of thing is NOT funny, wastes resources, and makes it harder for people who are in this situation less likely to be believed (the 911 pizza delivery thing, the Savopoulos family who it seems tried to send cryptic messages that weren't picked up on)

Please don't assume it's a hoax...in my younger and stupider days, I was going through a bad breakup; my former boyfriend came to my sister's home where I was hiding, and since I did not want to endanger those inside, I went out to talk to him. He forced me into his vehicle, and drove away. He was completely out of it, and told me that he was taking me to the desert to leave me to die. My sister called 911, but we were on the interstate headed to the west desert in Utah. I had not slept in 24 hours or more, had no shoes, no jacket, and it was Columbus Day weekend. I said whatever I could to try to dissuade him, and ultimately even agreed to marry him in Wendover to save my life. Once we got to Wendover, I asked to use the bathroom, and since I'd made all these promises, he agreed. I told a security guard I was being held, and he did nothing! I think due to my disheveled appearance. I gave up. I went into bathroom and decided I would do whatever it took to live. I walked back out with a smile on my face, and acted so happy to be back together. I agreed to go find an apartment back in SLC, so we headed back. I kept the act up for the two hour ride back, and then asked to go to a convenience store for another bathroom break, and to get a newspaper to look for apartments. He agreed, and let me go inside. When I got to the desk, I told the clerk I was being held, and he told me to go into the bathroom and not come out, no matter what. He was a kid, younger than me. I went in, and within 5 minutes, it was over. The police were awesome. The clerk was awesome. And, I lived. You don't know what someone might say or try to save themselves. I hope she is as lucky as I was, and I am praying for her.

Please don't assume it's a hoax...in my younger and stupider days, I was going through a bad breakup; my former boyfriend came to my sister's home where I was hiding, and since I did not want to endanger those inside, I went out to talk to him. He forced me into his vehicle, and drove away. He was completely out of it, and told me that he was taking me to the desert to leave me to die. My sister called 911, but we were on the interstate headed to the west desert in Utah. I had not slept in 24 hours or more, had no shoes, no jacket, and it was Columbus Day weekend. I said whatever I could to try to dissuade him, and ultimately even agreed to marry him in Wendover to save my life. Once we got to Wendover, I asked to use the bathroom, and since I'd made all these promises, he agreed. I told a security guard I was being held, and he did nothing! I think due to my disheveled appearance. I gave up. I went into bathroom and decided I would do whatever it took to live. I walked back out with a smile on my face, and acted so happy to be back together. I agreed to go find an apartment back in SLC, so we headed back. I kept the act up for the two hour ride back, and then asked to go to a convenience store for another bathroom break, and to get a newspaper to look for apartments. He agreed, and let me go inside. When I got to the desk, I told the clerk I was being held, and he told me to go into the bathroom and not come out, no matter what. He was a kid, younger than me. I went in, and within 5 minutes, it was over. The police were awesome. The clerk was awesome. And, I lived. You don't know what someone might say or try to save themselves. I hope she is as lucky as I was, and I am praying for her.

OK, I'm happy you were able to get out of that terrible situation safely. But I fail to see how that relates to this case. You talked to the desk clerk. You didn't give him a note on the way out to leave with your abductor. If this woman had done the same thing you did, the outcome would have probably have been the same. But thats not what happened. This woman's actions make no sense. As a matter of fact the entire story seems very suspicious.

I don't find anything suspicious in the story. The woman could very well be actually kidnapped. There have been cases in the past where kidnappers allow victims in public places. Some of these victims haven't told anyone even while in the public place (Elizabeth Smart, anyone?). Maybe this note is the best this woman can do because she is scared.

I don't find anything suspicious in the story. The woman could very well be actually kidnapped. There have been cases in the past where kidnappers allow victims in public places.
She could be scared of him.

The police said that she didn't appear to be in any distress. If she was really kidnapped then why didn't she just tell the employees to call the police and then go and lock herself in the bathroom, until they got there?

The police said that she didn't appear to be in any distress. If she was really kidnapped then why didn't she just tell the employees to call the police and then go and lock herself in the bathroom, until they got there?

How would I know why she did this or that? But from following other cases, kidnap victims often act "strange." If she send out a note, that's already more than some other kidnap victims have done. In some case, even when in public, kidnap victims don't ask for help. I am not going to just assume it's a hoax because she acted what we deem "strange."

OK, I'm happy you were able to get out of that terrible situation safely. But I fail to see how that relates to this case. You talked to the desk clerk. You didn't give him a note on the way out to leave with your abductor. If this woman had done the same thing you did, the outcome would have probably have been the same. But thats not what happened. This woman's actions make no sense. As a matter of fact the entire story seems very suspicious.

My point was, that you may say or act in any way to keep yourself safe. If you go on acting like you are all upset, I think it is less likely that your abductor would trust you to go inside. If you just be calm and write a note, maybe he won't see you do that. Maybe you are so worried that your problem will cause others to be hurt, you look for an alternative.

They have had the license plate number since yesterday. Surely they would know by now whose truck it is.

They have had the license plate number since yesterday. Surely they would know by now whose truck it is.

I think they know who the car is registered to. But the car isn't there.

The car is registered to someone in Rockdale County, GA. Here is a map from general area where the car is registered to where the Wendy's is. It's about a 30 mile, one hour drive.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Rockdale+County,+GA&daddr=1940+Piedmont+Road+Northeast,+Atlanta,+GA&hl=en&sll=33.732335,-84.208832&sspn=0.740068,1.218109&geocode=FfHXAQId_679-inTcZD-ylX0iDH0a0J2gUQbEQ%3BFRzoAwId9Kn4-in_aNiszwX1iDFv_S6tQjoyqw&oq=Rockdale+County,+GA&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

"Woman who left note at Atlanta Wendy’s saying ‘I’m being held against my will' may not have been abducted: police"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/woman-left-abduction-note-wendy-missing-article-1.2236916

A woman who asked an Atlanta Wendy’s employee for a sheet of paper Monday morning and then wrote ...(the note)... may not have been kidnapped, police said. But LaShonda Marie Cortez is still missing.

...Investigators later located the driver, who is being “completely cooperative” and, at this point, is not in any trouble...

He told investigators he dropped off Cortez about 2 miles away from the fast food joint right after their trip on Monday morning.

“Because she did pass a note indicating that she may have been in some form of distress, we want to verify her safety and well-being,” O’Connor told reporters.

There is now a thread for her in the Missing Discussion forum. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Cortez-Atlanta-25-May-2015-Possible-Abduction

CF9gKkSWEAEYXYg.jpg:small

Update: Police locate woman in alleged kidnapping

APD released this statement to the media:

Atlanta Police Investigators have located Ms. LaShonda Marie Cortez, the woman who passed a note that she was being held against her will at a local Wendy’s. She is alive and in good health and was found in the City of Atlanta. At this time they are still talking with her, so we have no additional updates nor will sound be provided at this time.

http://www.atlantaintownpaper.com/2015/05/report-police-search-for-woman-in-alleged-kidnapping/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back