General Discussion and Theories #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may go off this latest topic here a bit and ask a question..
Why is the common thought that there is an endless bank account in the Millard family?

I don't get this..

JMO but what I see is a hangar that has produced no income for quite some time (and incurred expenses) , numerous properties that have mortgages that need to be paid, regular day to day expenses, and frivolous expenses to whatever extent you want to believe....The estate of DM's dad would have taken some time to settle out in the best of times..(I would guess 6-8 months but JMO)

I just do not believe that the "Millard fortune" is anywhere near the fortune that is thought in the public eye or ear.

As I said...JMO and welcome thoughts on this.

I thought only one of the properties had a mortgage on it. There were reports of some being paid for in cash.

Personally, I don't think anyone has an endless bank account. No matter how much you have, it depends on what you do with it that determines whether it grows, shrinks or just stays at a level balance.

JMO

I thought only one of the properties had a mortgage on it. There were reports of some being paid for in cash.

Personally, I don't think anyone has an endless bank account. No matter how much you have, it depends on what you do with it that determines whether it grows, shrinks or just stays at a level balance.

JMO
Totally agree Alethea. IMO, from our vantage point it's truly impossible to figure out the size of the family fortune. But, with that being said, it's safe to say that there have been enough tidbits supplied to us to make us realize that DM wasn't living paycheck to paycheck. ie) trips, hobbies & real estate acquisitions. There's also a lack of evidence to show that DM was working at anything, so IMO, the asset side of the balance sheet was starting to take a hit and even though he made a pricey real estate purchase, his net worth was probably on a decline.

Yes, there are visible assets, but those have to be weighed against any liabilities. We just passed the 1 year anniversary of WM's death. We don't know if WM's estate has been settled or his will probated, keeping in mind that his only child and sole heir was behind bars less than 6 months after WM'a untimely death. Further more, WM's death is still with the Coroners office and TPS are investigating DM's involvement in that death. Also, as a result of WM's death, there may have been some nasty CRA ramifications. We just don't know how well planned WM's demise was.

Assets have already been liquidated on DM's behalf: Distillery condo & Maple Gate. But IMO, it would be a mistake to say that all of those funds were free and clear-there may be short term liabilities that have to be met and perhaps these funds were necessary for this short term servicing. There may also be long term liabilities. Were there debts that had to be paid off when WM died? Who was on the Millardair payroll? Was WM paying alimony? How about the Hangar? Outstanding contracts? In a nutshell, how many people and outside businesses did WM and Millardair support or have an obligation to?

This certainly isn't a unique situation. Many sizable estates have been reduced to pennies as a result of someone dying and too many people continuing to feed out of the trough and none of the survivors ever learning how to or having the ability to put feed into the trough. IMO, we will never really know how big the Millard fortune is or once was. Hopefully it's large enough to assure us as taxpayers, that we never have to pick up DM's legal bills aka legal aid MOO

According to Yahoo search, TB's murder was the most searched news story of the year in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...is-yahoo-s-most-searched-news-story-1.2448779

People are legitimately curious about DM not because he is a rockstar, but because they wonder how someone from such a privileged background could end up in such a mess. It's an ancient story -- the fallen son/hero -- and one that continues to fascinate.

I'm fine with people criticizing my reporting and blogging on this case. It keeps me on my toes and makes me reflect on sometimes complicated ethical questions, and that's good thing.

I would ask, however, that people read my own words. <modsnip>

Maybe someone could remind me, but wasn't the fiance deemed off limits some time ago on here? Or was that just the new girlfriend?
<rsbm>

Yes AD ... the fiancée is also off limits:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9881860&postcount=393"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Millard Properties: Locations and Ownership[/ame]

:eek:fftopic:

Please keep the discussion about the victim and alleged perps of this case.

tia
fran

MOD NOTE: The "debate" that has been taking place here ends now. An issue was raised. Everyone had an opportunity to respond. Now it's over. Agree to disagree and move on.

Yes, Alethea, the fiance is off limits. We're not going to post her personal information nor speculate about her private life. The truth is, however, that to engage in an ongoing argument over some pictures defeats the purpose by drawing more attention to her, and therefore, won't be allowed.

Something else that is not allowed is insulting other members, so that has to stop, too.

Totally agree Alethea. IMO, from our vantage point it's truly impossible to figure out the size of the family fortune. But, with that being said, it's safe to say that there have been enough tidbits supplied to us to make us realize that DM wasn't living paycheck to paycheck. ie) trips, hobbies & real estate acquisitions. There's also a lack of evidence to show that DM was working at anything, so IMO, the asset side of the balance sheet was starting to take a hit and even though he made a pricey real estate purchase, his net worth was probably on a decline.

Yes, there are visible assets, but those have to be weighed against any liabilities. We just passed the 1 year anniversary of WM's death. We don't know if WM's estate has been settled or his will probated, keeping in mind that his only child and sole heir was behind bars less than 6 months after WM'a untimely death. Further more, WM's death is still with the Coroners office and TPS are investigating DM's involvement in that death. Also, as a result of WM's death, there may have been some nasty CRA ramifications. We just don't know how well planned WM's demise was.

Assets have already been liquidated on DM's behalf: Distillery condo & Maple Gate. But IMO, it would be a mistake to say that all of those funds were free and clear-there may be short term liabilities that have to be met and perhaps these funds were necessary for this short term servicing. There may also be long term liabilities. Were there debts that had to be paid off when WM died? Who was on the Millardair payroll? Was WM paying alimony? How about the Hangar? Outstanding contracts? In a nutshell, how many people and outside businesses did WM and Millardair support or have an obligation to?

This certainly isn't a unique situation. Many sizable estates have been reduced to pennies as a result of someone dying and too many people continuing to feed out of the trough and none of the survivors ever learning how to or having the ability to put feed into the trough. IMO, we will never really know how big the Millard fortune is or once was. Hopefully it's large enough to assure us as taxpayers, that we never have to pick up DM's legal bills aka legal aid MOO

Great post MsS. I believe the only way the public will find out the financial situation of DM prior to his arrest would be through DP through the trial. DP may try to argue DM had no reason to steal TB's truck as he had sufficient finances to purchase a truck. This may be an excuse for shifting the blame onto MS. DP had claimed right out of the gate to media reporters May 15th, DM was financially well off. Interesting how he claimed to know that so soon after DM's arrest. I have to assume DP did not know DM's bottom line financially, but was taking DM's or someone else's word on it. IMO just because someones bank statement shows they have a healthy balance, doesn't mean squat. There are always those debts which don't show on that statement. MOO.

Something else I found interesting looking back on this video is how DP said there was one or more suspects...multiple suspects from what he understood... wonder what he learnt if those early, few days which made him claim multiple suspects? DM's word/story, DP's suspicion, something LE told him or could it be those other suspects have been cleared of no wrong doing?

BBM below for Robynhood. There you go RH, we will likely hear DM's side of the story when this case goes to trial. DP will likely be the one to tell DM's story at trial just as Dirk D did in Tori's case, MR's trial. And we know what MR's side of the story is, "innocent dupe", "accessory after the fact". :floorlaugh: JMHO = NOT! :jail:

“We’re really waiting for the police investigation to be completed,” Paradkar said. “There are other suspects out there ... and once they’ve been apprehended I think you’ll have a fuller picture of what’s going on.”

Millard has so far maintained his right to remain silent, but his lawyer said the public “will likely hear his side of the story” when the case goes to trial a few years from now.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/05/15/tim-bosma-murder-suspect-dellen-millard-in-hamilton-court

JMO

Agreed! Thanks for correction on mortgages. Using your analogy, I guess my opinion is better expressed that I don't feel anything was done lately to "grow" any of the investments, especially the hanger which was their most expensive venture and with all the bills being paid out, that pot has had to have shrunk considerably.

I have 1 comment at the present time....it is my signature...."May Justice Prevail "
....Rip Tim Bosma.......oh and may the BOSMA family get justice for this horrible CRIME!....robynhood...and see ya all in court...I shall do what I promised here...!

It is undeniable that the truck is a key element in this crime, but I don't think it was the motive. We may be getting into semantics here, but I make a distinction.
<rsbm>

Obviously we can only speculate here, but i would be interested in your theories/thoughts on what the motive might be and how the truck would factor in. Thanks !!

Interesting news coming out of Hamilton regarding a member of the Police Department. He "served in many roles with the service, including extended times in the BEAR (break and enter, auto theft and robbery branch) and Homicide Units, and most recently as Central D Squad staff sergeant".

A Hamilton police officer is dead after a shooting at central police station Tuesday afternoon.

The officer is Staff Sergeant Ian Matthews, a 25-year veteran of the force who for years was one of its most high-profile investigators. He died in hospital at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, roughly nine hours after the incident.

A police statement referred to the death as a "sudden death" after the incident at the King William Street station at approximately 1 p.m. A number of sources confirmed to CBC News in Hamilton that the officer shot himself.

Full story at link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-police-officer-ian-matthews-dies-after-shooting-self-at-central-station-1.2467867

Interesting news coming out of Hamilton regarding a member of the Police Department. He "served in many roles with the service, including extended times in the BEAR (break and enter, auto theft and robbery branch) and Homicide Units, and most recently as Central D Squad staff sergeant".

A Hamilton police officer is dead after a shooting at central police station Tuesday afternoon.

The officer is Staff Sergeant Ian Matthews, a 25-year veteran of the force who for years was one of its most high-profile investigators. He died in hospital at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, roughly nine hours after the incident.

A police statement referred to the death as a "sudden death" after the incident at the King William Street station at approximately 1 p.m. A number of sources confirmed to CBC News in Hamilton that the officer shot himself.

Full story at link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-police-officer-ian-matthews-dies-after-shooting-self-at-central-station-1.2467867

Wow !! I recall his name from the Audrey Gleave case. Very sad.

Rest in Peace, Sgt Matthews
:rose::rose::rose:

Full story at link

Thanks PR. So sad. Makes me think it's likely he was working with other LE on TB's case if he had that expertise. The article does not state whether it was accidental or suicide.

RIP Sgt Matthews.

RIP... Sergeant Ian Matthews...so deeply sad when we lose a great officer...:(...robynhood...my condolence to his family & the Police force...

<rsbm>

Obviously we can only speculate here, but i would be interested in your theories/thoughts on what the motive might be and how the truck would factor in. Thanks !!

Sillybilly, thanks for asking, but I can't really speculate about this now.

I just want to stress than when I said the truck was not the motive, I was in no way suggesting that Tim Bosma was in any way involved in this crime.

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope your day is filled with love, peace, hope and good cheer! And that Santa is good to you. ;)

Merry Christmas and may 2014 find everyone happy and healthy.

My heart goes out to Tim's loved one as they face what is suppose to be a joyous time of year without the love, laughter and comfort he once brought to those who loved him dearly. May their memories of what once was and Christmases past, help to alleviate the sorrow of his horrific, unnecessary and untimely passing.

At peace with the Angels above. Now for justice to be served in a court of law and I pray those responsible pay with a life sentence in prison and here's hoping it is very harsh as they deserve nothing better. JMHO.

FYI. Some sad but necessary words inspired by the life and death of Sgt. Ian Matthews, and one anonymous officer's own struggles. Please take a moment to read:

http://m.thespec.com/opinion-story/4301925-opinion-for-ian-s-sake-change/

I personally am shocked as I expected there was unlimited counselling and support for LE. I wouldn't think for a second that there wasn't, particularly in a larger municipality.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

FYI. Some sad but necessary words inspired by the life and death of Sgt. Ian Matthews, and one anonymous officer's own struggles. Please take a moment to read:

http://m.thespec.com/opinion-story/4301925-opinion-for-ian-s-sake-change/

I personally am shocked as I expected there was unlimited counselling and support for LE. I wouldn't think for a second that there wasn't, particularly in a larger municipality.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
You'd be wrong too concerning the "support" as in any viable, helpful way.

Most all who serve could sign their name to that letter without changing a word with the exception of replacing Ian's with another......

Any extremely slight indication of stress, or what is seen as "weakness", "need of counseling" or "mental health issues" are a kiss of death in LE.

Cops are agents of the "State" and carry and represent the full weight and authority of the "State." As such there can be no visible blemish of mental health issues especially in a Country so intolerant of firearms and a job so dependent on them.

There are of course the semblance of professional assistance in all agencies yet they are more hypersensitive to public litigation and agency culpability than they are to outright treatment and help.

Of course these "professional assistants" have never experienced any of the events that they are charged with treating so are viewed as outsiders whom will quickly align with the "brass" on anything.

They are avoided like the plague and seen unfavorably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties