General Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directly. The direct translation is "Skimmer in the shadows"
A "skimmer" is a word used in connection with fraud.
It's a person who skims your bank card, skim means to duplicate the card with a device without your knowledge....very rife in his country. You will notice payments going through your account, withdrawals etc when your card is still in your possession.

Huh? What's the logic behind that...? She wasn't processing fraud cases. And skimme is also "dead".

Oscar Pistorius case: South African justice system is also on trial

With the world watching, justice must be seen to be done in the killings of Reeva Steenkamp and Anene Booysen

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/25/oscar-pistorius-southafrica-justice

This article was referenced a day or so ago. It contains a very significant observation that merits repeating and points up the mental gap we outsiders have relative to some of the white community living in SA, and why Pistorius's story might easily resonate with them and might even - perish the very thought - be true. :waitasec: :banghead: :what:

QUOTE:
In an article on the Pistorius case in the Baltimore Sun, Matthew Durington, a cultural anthropologist who conducted ethnographic research in gated communities in South Africa, wrote:

Gated communities, often called 'golf estates', are enclosed spaces protected by a number of security measures such as electrified fences, razor wire, patrols and enhanced biometric and technological measures that continue to be developed by a 'fear industry' that flourishes in South Africa. This fear industry emboldens a fear culture that is obsessed with crime and its avoidance. While we may see this as an irrational fear, as the majority of crime occurs in concentrated spaces among the black population (not unlike in the United States), one has to respect the nature of crime in South Africa. Despite a murder rate that has begun to decline in recent years, South Africa still has crime levels that are astronomical, with a homicide rate approximately four times that of most industrialised nations.

The assertion that Mr Pistorius believed there was an intruder in his home may seem unlikely in a secured home in the middle of a gated community, but it is a perception that many in South Africa will relate to. A segment of the South African psyche will understand the fear and the reaction allegedly spurred by it, despite any evidence to the contrary."

From the beginning, the government has shied away from engaging about the Pistorius matter despite it, including the president, helping to build the athlete as a superstar and flag bearer for the country. Notwithstanding the massive international interest in the case and South Africa's legal system, the government has not been able to communicate sufficiently to fight negative perceptions about crime and the justice system to counter the onslaught.

While a successful prosecution will be the best PR for the criminal justice system, it might be several months, if not years, before the case reaches finality. In the meantime, the issues raised cannot be ignored in the hope that interest will dwindle. It won't.

UNQUOTE

Huh? What's the logic behind that...? She wasn't processing fraud cases. And skimme is also "dead".

I actually don't know to be honest, because the word Skimmer is a fraudster as per say, a bad person, con artist, usually faceless,etc etc..she could have been alluding to that? I've never heard the Afrikaans word Skimme being used in the same connotation as death thou.

If she was alluding to death, she would more than likely used the title
Dood in die Skadu...Lolz, but I'm no author so who knows.

I actually don't know to be honest, because the word Skimmer is a fraudster as per say, a bad person, con artist, usually faceless,etc etc..she could have been alluding to that? I've never heard the Afrikaans word Skimme being used in the same connotation as death thou.

If she was alluding to death, she would more than likely used the title
Dood in die Skadu...Lolz, but I'm no author so who knows.

I'm not sure, Carol, but I have the feeling "skimme" is somehow ancient - Biblical. Check your family Afrikaans Bible... :) :) :)

Die skimme is beangs onder die waters en onder die bewoners daarvan.
(Job 26.5)

MEANWHILE... an article on Micki (not terribly flattering) threw up these two delicious comments from readers...(the first one's been doing the rounds, the second I hadn't seen before).

Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't ever surprise
Oscar Pistorius

His auntie's a nutter
His brother's on trial
You might as well hand
Jacob Zuma the file

:)

February 25, 2013

Bombshell Report in Oscar Pistorius Case: Autopsy Reveals Reeva Steenkamp Was Beaten With a Cricket Bat Before She Was Shot

The Daily Mail reports new details that could prove explosive in the Oscar Pistorius murder case. According to the reports, Reeva Steenkamp’s autopsy revealed that her skull was crushed by a bloody cricket bat before she was shot in the head.

Pistorius claims that he used the bat to break down the bathroom door, and it’s at that point that he realized he was shooting his girlfriend and not an intruder.

So, if these reports are true, why didn’t the prosecution mention the bat or the fact that Steenkamp’s skull was bashed in during last week’s bail hearing?

While Lis Wiehl said that it is common in the U.S. for prosecutors to withhold some evidence at bail hearings, she thinks that this is such key evidence that prosecutors probably didn’t have it at the time of the hearing.

According to Wiehl, this new revelation would make sense with what we know of the story. “That would account for

why she was dressed in street clothes,

why she was there in the small, little toilet area […]

Because she’d been beaten in the head with this bat, she ran […] into the bathroom, she locked the door, because the door was locked, and that’s when the shots were fired.”

“If they really have that evidence, it just blows his defense completely,” she said.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/2...eaten-with-a-cricket-bat-before-she-was-shot/

Pistorius 'DID beat model girlfriend with a cricket bat' before he shot her police tell horrified family and relatives have seen her extensive head injuries
Reeva Steenkamp's skull crushed during attack, South African police say
Grieving relatives who saw body before cremation described horrific injuries

Last week the prosecution did not mention any details about the bat and the role they believe it played in Reeva’s death, opting not to disclose their case against Pistorius. But to secure bail, Pistorius’s legal team had to detail his defence, which included why he had a blood-spattered cricket bat in his possession on the fatal night.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nkamp-cricket-bat-shot-her.html#ixzz2M0Aj37u3

This makes sense to me so why are you still doubting this?

This article was referenced a day or so ago. It contains a very significant observation that merits repeating and points up the mental gap we outsiders have relative to some of the white community living in SA, and why Pistorius's story might easily resonate with them and might even - perish the very thought - be true. :waitasec: :banghead: :what:
//snipped

Absolutely! Also,regarding the cricket bat, I will repeat that it is not unusual to have various weapons scattered about the house. We don't own a gun but have an axe, baseball bat, machete, pick axe handle among various other things placed strategically about the home. As for the machine gun mentioned previously here a few pages back, I find that highly unlikely. It would be against the law to have a machine gun just laying there...I would assume it rather would have been a paint ball gun or other type of sports gun. Definitely NOT a machine gun. He only owned 1 gun and that was the murder weapon.

Also, I was reading one of the million facebook discussions about this and someone pointed out that they were a psychologist of some sort, and it was mentioned that disabled people have a heightened sense of fear..we may have elevated perception of fear and awareness...but disabled people have it 5 times worse. What if there is a fire, and they can't get out, what if there is an intruder, and they can't defend themselves and so forth. Any ideas on this??? It goes along way to explaining his paranoia. And I won't go as far as to say unjustified, especially if he has previously been a victim of crime but I will mentioned that he seemed more than capable of living a normal life with his disability.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/25...-she-was-shot/

Bombshell Report in Oscar Pistorius Case: Autopsy Reveals Reeva Steenkamp Was Beaten With a Cricket Bat Before She Was Shot
Pistorius 'DID beat model girlfriend with a cricket bat' before he shot her police tell horrified family and relatives have seen her extensive head injuries
Last week the prosecution did not mention any details about the bat and the role they believe it played in Reeva’s death, opting not to disclose their case against Pistorius. But to secure bail, Pistorius’s legal team had to detail his defence, which included why he had a blood-spattered cricket bat in his possession on the fatal night.

Thank you!

This is precisely the scenario I laid out all along and given hell by some here.

Thank you.

I'm not sure, Carol, but I have the feeling "skimme" is somehow ancient - Biblical. Check your family Afrikaans Bible... :) :) :)

Die skimme is beangs onder die waters en onder die bewoners daarvan.
(Job 26.5)

MEANWHILE... an article on Micki (not terribly flattering) threw up these two delicious comments from readers...(the first one's been doing the rounds, the second I hadn't seen before).

Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't ever surprise
Oscar Pistorius

His auntie's a nutter
His brother's on trial
You might as well hand
Jacob Zuma the file

:)
Could very well be and we are not an Afrikaans first language family :p

Lol...I swear in this country, if there are jokes to be made, Mr Zuma is always somehow involved. :D

And given the renewed verification of the bat-caused skull fracture, I will now put together a possible scenario to explain everything.

OP loses is and hits Reeva with the bat. She staggers into the toilet and locks it. Then he knows his life as he knew it is over, and decides to shoot and kill her.

He does this from outside the toilet door. But after he gets the door open he tries to cover up the fractured skull from his bat strike, and shoots her in the area where her skull was fractured. And that one casing ends up in the toilet. (If that is a bullet casing.)

If all the reports are true--this fits them all.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nkamp-cricket-bat-shot-her.html#ixzz2M0Aj37u3

Holy carp! Ok, I have just officially moved over to the side of very, very, VERY guily of cold-blooded murder. What a :furious:

I hope you like jail OP :jail:

Pistorius 'DID beat model girlfriend with a cricket bat'

Sorry about the snip, but I'd say the MAIN reason why I'm having problems with this story comes down to the source.

Now, even allowing for bias (and there IS bias, I'm sure) in the other direction, please read this and you'll see where I'm coming from.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

The Daily Mail is basically a watchword for the worst of UK scare journalism. It just about keeps its nose above the gutter of The Sun and The Star, but fundamentally it is trading in the same muck.

I might just as well ask you, to turn this whole thing on its head, why you are so convinced based on this one source...

Have you read this same stuff from respected broadsheet papers, from serious South African newspapers, from senior broadcasters? Or is the seat of the fire the Daily Mail? What exactly do you KNOW about the Daily Mail that makes you want to believe its every word?

Sure, a broken clock can be right twice a day, and they may have got the skinny on this one, but their track record in the past is ...well.. not great.

Estelle, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure the guy's as guilty as sin. Either that or he's a dangerous paranoid moron, who probably ought to be locked up for his own good. But I don't buy one-off tabloid journalism without a L I T T L E bit of healthy scepticism.

And notice it even has the side story as I had it.

The Prosecution hoodwinked the defense to spill all their beans and marryOP to that (ludicrous to some of us) affidavit. Which did not include any bat strike--which thus blows everything outof the water from him.

And as I wrote there may have been a Columbo-like thing going on here. And here I wonder if the Fox article may not be going all the way. It says they did not have the autopsy when Botha was testifying. But I think they did that straight away. Botha goes along with the defense and looks like a bumbling fool all the while, the defense has no fractured skull from the bat strike, and can't invent it later!

Again perhaps Oscar shot her in the back of the head where his bat strike was to try to cover that up with a bullet impact. Maybe it even took some extra time for medical examiner etc. to make absolutely sure on this complication.

Again my scenario fits everything assuming all of it is accurate.

//snipped

Absolutely! Also,regarding the cricket bat, I will repeat that it is not unusual to have various weapons scattered about the house. We don't own a gun but have an axe, baseball bat, machete, pick axe handle among various other things placed strategically about the home. As for the machine gun mentioned previously here a few pages back, I find that highly unlikely. It would be against the law to have a machine gun just laying there...I would assume it rather would have been a paint ball gun or other type of sports gun. Definitely NOT a machine gun. He only owned 1 gun and that was the murder weapon.

Also, I was reading one of the million facebook discussions about this and someone pointed out that they were a psychologist of some sort, and it was mentioned that disabled people have a heightened sense of fear..we may have elevated perception of fear and awareness...but disabled people have it 5 times worse. What if there is a fire, and they can't get out, what if there is an intruder, and they can't defend themselves and so forth. Any ideas on this??? It goes along way to explaining his paranoia. And I won't go as far as to say unjustified, especially if he has previously been a victim of crime but I will mentioned that he seemed more than capable of living a normal life with his disability.

Carol, as Micki, his aunt said, murderers are "tortured souls". It all began when he was 11 months old then his parents divorced when he was 7 and then his mother died when he was 15yo and then he took up running and he has been running away from his "demons" ever since. The best description of this so far has been given in an article I posted recently by the astrologer who also uses psychology to explain his behaviour. No wonder AnneMarie Versfeld flew all the way from the US to make that application to the court about his needing a full pyschiatric evaluation.<modsnip>

This is not breaking news nor new information. I quickly just scanned the local news sites and none are even carrying the skull crushed theory anymore.
And I doubt it because its the daily mail. :p

This is not breaking news nor new information. I quickly just scanned the local news sites and none are even carrying the skull crushed theory anymore.

Well this new piece has Lis Wiehl of Fox News signing on to it.
She is a Law Professor. If it's all faux, her credibilty is also gone forever.

And given the renewed verification of the bat-caused skull fracture, I will now put together a possible scenario to explain everything.

OP loses is and hits Reena with the bat. She staggers into the toilet and locks it. Then he knows his life as he knew it is over, and decides to shoot and kill her.

He does this from outside the toilet door. But after he gets the door open he tries to cover up the fractured skull from his bat strike, and shoots her in the area where her skull was fractured. And that one casing ends up in the toilet. (If that is a bullet casing.)

If all the reports are true--this fits them all.

Brilliant! That is what I have been thinking ever since I knew about the casing in the toilet. He tried to cover it up - his fracturing the back of her skull by shooting at it.

I have even thought of another scenario. Could the bashing of the skull with the cricket bat actually have caused her death or at least made her unconscious so he carries her into the toilet (he then knows exactly where she is), locks the door/bashes it with the cricket bat (if that was necessary in his cover up tactic) then goes outside and shoots to make it look like he was shooting at an intruder and she only dies then when in fact, she could have already been dead before being in the toilet. Otherwise, why no screams from her when being shot? I am not convinced that anyone can prove that she was still alive when he carried her down the stairs. From what I have read, it is only his word that she died in his arms.

Well this new piece has Lis Wiehl of Fox News signing on to it.
She is a Law Professor. If it's all faux, her credibilty is also gone forever.

So long, Lis. Don't hold your breath. Honestly, there's really nothing personal in all this, Shane, and you and me might even be on the SAME side, but people who follow the Mail's coat-tails usually end up regretting it. It's NOT a great organ of truth, believe me.

Have a stroll around the paper's website for heaven's sakes... does it LOOK like a quality broadsheet to you?

Ask yourself WHY they of all newspapers should have the inside track on this story? Or.. ask yourself.. is this just "linkbait"?

Brilliant! That is what I have been thinking ever since I knew about the casing in the toilet. He tried to cover it up - his fracturing the back of her skull by shooting at it.

I have even thought of another scenario. Could the bashing of the skull with the cricket bat actually have caused her death or at least made her unconscious so he carries her into the toilet (he then knows exactly where she is), locks the door/bashes it with the cricket bat (if that was necessary in his cover up tactic) then goes outside and shoots to make it look like he was shooting at an intruder and she only dies then when in fact, she could have already been dead before being in the toilet. Otherwise, why no screams from her when being shot? I am not convinced that anyone can prove that she was still alive when he carried her down the stairs. From what I have read, it is only his word that she died in his arms.

Well your scenario could be correct. But that's whyI earlier wrote RE the fractured skull that autopsy X-rays will show the extent of the fracture. If they are good, hopefully they can separate the bat-caused effects from the bullet-caused effects of him shooting into that area.

And if he shot into her skull from close range, she almost certainly would be dead at that point, before carrying her down the stairs.

I thought from day one, that every claim or fact in his affidavit was false. This verifies it further.

But another problem with your scenario is "him locking the toilet door." Did it lock only from the inside? And had to be locked to stay in that position for him to shoot at it. These factors will help pinpoint if your scenario is possible as the bullet holes in the door are strong evidence. Or if she was able to stagger on her own to the toilet and lock it.

This is my first post on this case. I have read most of the 38 pages on this thread, but none on the other thread so I apologise if this has already been mentioned. I have been following this greatly, including most of the tweets from journalists in the courtroom during the bail hearing.

If OP heard sounds coming from the bathroom (he couldn't possibly have known it was the toilet at this stage), got his gun and went into the bathroom, how did he know to aim at the toilet room and not the shower? The reconstructions of the bathroom I have seen show a separate toilet and a separate shower, within the bathroom. The shower room is partially hidden from view. How did OP know the 'intruder' was in the toilet and not in the shower room hiding? No shots were aimed at all at the shower.

I'm just throwing this out there.

Sorry to hold this post up, Carol, as a bleeding body-part in evidence, as it were, but it goes to the heart of the matter.

If one runs a search on "Reeva skull crushed" and limits to the past 24 hours, the only sites that are running this stuff are of the Hollywood Life and gather dot com variety, and they all track back to the Daily Mail.
Comments underneath vary from "I KNEW it!" to the more sober... "Funny, I live in South Africa and there's NOTHING about it here. Where are you getting this story from????"

Now, I will be the first to admit I'm wrong if The Wail has for once got it half-right, but you are putting a lot of eggs in a single very rickety basket if you rely on that one not very salubrious newspaper...

IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member