General Discussion Thread No. 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
*shudder* That's the worst interview so far.

Do you notice that once again Gerry sounds more animated talking about money and restaurants than about the Twins. They don't seem to really know what the Twins think, as if they aren't affected at all by the disappearance. Boy - are they kidding themselves or what?

I'm just . . . speechless . . .

colomom,
Is there another link to this interview? The one you provided works but the writing is so so tiny on my computer that I can't read it at all.
Thank you so much for all the work you have done!

I have just posted this to our Portuguese friends over on the Proboards forum. I received a response that there is a "rumor via e-mail" currently. I can't go searching because I can't read spanish but, I will let you know if/when we hear more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friends in Portugal,

There is a very, very, very sad thread on the Mirror forum and I hesitate to point you toward it because it flat knocked me to my knees. I would recommend that you not read about the case in Malaysia, it is brutal and an absolute horror.

http://tinyurl.com/277bmg (link to thread on MF)

But, within this thread there is a post from "Holly":

"That is what I found after hearing from a trusted Spanish Neighbour a body had been found in Spain. She had spoke to her brother around 12.30pm today and he said that it had just been on the news in Spain that a childs body had been Found in Spain.
Nothing on the Net about it yet only what is above. My first post was deleted I have no idea why. Just spoke to my Dad who employs our Spanish Neighbor and he said she is 100% solid."

Have any of you heard anything about this?

***Update***

Another forum is saying that the body found is that of an adult male....stay tuned for confirmation

I saw this thread posted at the Mirror forum at 12.22pm UK time today and it was almost immediately pulled from the site.

I thought it was odd and wondered if it was known to be a cruel hoax. Perhaps we will find out?

Isn't it strange that Gerry says they haven't been to the hospital since they've been home? Isn't Glenfield the one where he worked?

His coworkers there have a vigil every week, but he hasn't been by to see them? Hmmmmm.

Oh, cut it off! Don't you know it is an European thing?? :rolleyes: (that excuse makes me literally sick).

Home alone is not a European thing. Baby listening services are. A simple Google search of the phrase will yield an abundance of hits for European hotels - mainly British.

ETA - 24,000 hits to be precise.

"Despite everything that has been written, we're still receiving many messages of support. All the letters we have received have been positive."

Did you all notice the emphasis Gerry always try to put on the letters of support he "allegedly" receives? (he does the same thing on his blog) it is almost as he is trying to convince.

Home alone is not a European thing. Baby listening services are. A simple Google search of the phrase will yield an abundance of hits for European hotels - mainly British.

ETA - 24,000 hits to be precise.

WTH is that? I know, I know, I'll google it. But seriously what the heck has happened to raising your own children in a responsible manner? I am not a saint of a mother. I do not claim to be. That said, I would never leave them alone and mine are 10 and 8! Our best friends live across the street and we live in a very safe nice neighborhood in a very small town. We have never put them to bed and walked across the street to our friends home. Never. On vacay, there is NO way that would happen.

The Mc's claimed they did not want to leave their children with strangers (creche or other bs service) while they went to dinner. Yet these educated parents to 3 young children left them alone to dine in a bar that, imo, is far away from their apt?! This alone should raise red flags to the fence sitters. They are questionable to say the least.
JMO, obviously.

Did you all notice the emphasis Gerry always try to put on the letters of support he "allegedly" receives? (he does the same thing on his blog) it is almost as he is trying to convince.

I know about half a dozen people who have send cards and letters of support. They range from teaching colleagues to a single mum on benefits who knows one of my older children ... to my Mum!

I didn't know my mother prayed until she told me she said a prayer every night for Madeleine and her family.

Ok, I googled it. Please tell me if I am understanding this correctly. This is a service provided by a hotel/resort much like room service is provided. You can leave your children alone and are provided with a monitoring device of sorts while you enjoy your vacation. Is this correct?

If this is correct then I find it utterly pathetic.

Y
I know about half a dozen people who have send cards and letters of support. They range from teaching colleagues to a single mum on benefits who knows one of my older children ... to my Mum!

I didn't know my mother prayed until she told me she said a prayer every night for Madeleine and her family.

Your point?

Mine: Gerry states ALL the mail they get is "positive". I do not believe that for a second.

Ok, I googled it. Please tell me if I am understanding this correctly. This is a service provided by a hotel/resort much like room service is provided. You can leave your children alone and are provided with a monitoring device of sorts while you enjoy your vacation. Is this correct?

If this is correct then I find it utterly pathetic.

Agreed!, hence my sarcastic statement about the "European thing".

I don't even believe that the slight majority of mail they recieve is positive. :liar: Everyone wants Maddie found. Everyone is supporitive in that manner, I hope at least. But I'm sure Gerry leaves out the questioning mail they receive that hits way too close to the truth.

I don't even believe that the slight majority of mail they recieve is positive. :liar: Everyone wants Maddie found. Everyone is supporitive in that manner, I hope at least. But I'm sure Gerry leaves out the questioning mail they receive that hits way too close to the truth.

:clap:

Agreed!, hence my sarcastic statement about the "European thing".

Ok, I really thought I must have been misreading the descriptions. I got it right then. Why would you do that? Leave your child/children alone in the room and wander the resort enjoying yourself. Why even take the children with you? How is listening as safe as being there? You can't hear everything that may happen. Children are busy esp at the Mc's children's ages. How could you justify this as a family vacay? It's sheer stupidity!

WTH is that? I know, I know, I'll google it. But seriously what the heck has happened to raising your own children in a responsible manner? I am not a saint of a mother. I do not claim to be. That said, I would never leave them alone and mine are 10 and 8! Our best friends live across the street and we live in a very safe nice neighborhood in a very small town. We have never put them to bed and walked across the street to our friends home. Never. On vacay, there is NO way that would happen.

The Mc's claimed they did not want to leave their children with strangers (creche or other bs service) while they went to dinner. Yet these educated parents to 3 young children left them alone to dine in a bar that, imo, is far away from their apt?! This alone should raise red flags to the fence sitters. They are questionable to say the least.
JMO, obviously.

Hotels often offer what they call a baby listening service. This can mean one of several options:-

1) a baby monitor is provided
2) The parents leave their room phone off the hook and reception "listen in"
3) someone patrols the hotel/complex at intervals and listens at the door for a crying child.

For 2) and 3) the parents will either notify the hotel reception of where they can be contacted or they carry a pager.

The disadvantage of baby listening is that no-one actually goes into the room to check the child. If the McCanns had used the hotel's baby listening service, it probably wouldn't have made any difference - except that it might have been even later when Maddie was discovered missing.

One to one babysitting is rarely offered by hotels but they can often put you in touch with a local person who offers this service and you pay the local person directly. The hotels don't accept responsibility for the babysitter in this scenario.

Baby monitors often don't work if the hotel is sprawling or an old building where the walls are thick. We used this service when our older children were little. We notified reception of where we'd be (within the hotel complex) and they would contact us if necessary. Loads of people used the service.

However, don't take my word for it - Googling is your best bet. There's a website called Mumsnet or something like that where they discuss it and exchange information about hotels which offer it.

I fully appreciate that this is something that Americans find very odd I wonder if it's maybe similar to the way that many Brits view the American gun culture? However, it's a fact that it's a service which is found and used in Europe within hotels or hotel complexes. I think they'll possibly diminish in popularity now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow