General Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Searchlight,
I agree that Tara's case seems to "haunt" some of us. I do personally wish that somebody ANYBODY!!!!!!!! could shed some light or "NEW LIGHT" on all of this.

They found it strange that her car doors were unlocked and that her car seat was pushed back way too far for someone her size.

An envelope full of cash was found on her dashboard.................

could it be........that someone was there and waiting for her to arrive home?........went inside with her?.......and she left these things a mess.....the clock, clothes on floor etc.....to let persons whom knew her, know that something had happened to her, like a silent message?............and they left in her car, which explains the seat being pulled back?............and the money on the dash, could it had been a payment for someones involvement?, but they left it/forgot about it, after returning the car to the house?
.............................and if i remember correctly, no neighbors remembered seeing any vehicles around her home at all that day or night etc?...........which makes me think perhaps, there were two, and one got out, and took her car.............did they check any of the POI, and see if anytime around her disappearance, someone of interest, made a large or unusual withdrawal from an account..........example, if there was 5000.00 in the envelope, did anyone make a withdrawal around that amount if they checked..........i did find it strange, that the cop and ex were together that night......on a ride along, on the SAME night she went messing...........i would check both of them again, and see if one or the other, made a large withdrawal around the amount that was left on the dash, or anyone of interest............

Bumping for Tara - can we get some new thoughts going on the thread?
Thanks!

Some may find this article useful in understanding the GBI's procedures regarding DNA and CODIS. Hopefully some day soon, the DNA in the glove will lead to an arrest.

http://www.macon.com/198/story/748247.html

Monday, Jun. 15, 2009

DNA evidence making dent in midstate crime

By Amy Leigh Womack - awomack@macon.com

When John Paul Battle Jr. entered prison in May 2008 on an aggravated assault charge, a sample of his DNA joined more than 186,150 samples in the state’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) database.
The samples are compared to DNA evidence from unsolved crimes about twice a month, said Ted Staples, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s manager of forensic biology.

• By the numbers Matches during May — 75
    Matches to Georgia cases since 1998 — 1,415
    Matches linking Georgia offenders to crimes in other states since 1998 — 287
    Total number of offender samples — 186,151
    Source: GBI

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/macon.news/local;c2=local;c3=local_homepage;!category=local;template=article;=center6a;group=300x250;sz=300x250;ord='+_krdDartOrd+'?

As a result, 1,415 Georgia cases have been solved using matches from the samples since the creation of the database in 1998, he said.
Last week, one of the matches linked Battle, 25, to the 2002 rape of a 35-year-old woman in her car near the intersection of Elm Street and Broadway Lane in Macon.
But authorities say the database doesn’t just help find leads in sexual assault cases.
Bibb County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sean Defoe said CODIS has helped deputies solve burglaries and robberies.
Most recently, the database returned a match between a 53-year-old Hawkinsville Road man accused of a Jan. 12 burglary off Allen Road and a cigarette butt left behind inside the house, Defoe said.
“He had smoked a cigarette and dropped the butt on the floor,” Defoe said.
While deputies arrested William Gerald Brock on March 3 as a result of the investigation, Defoe said investigators are using the CODIS match as another piece of evidence that Brock was inside the house.
Macon Police Capt. Jimmy Barbee said that while most CODIS matches the police receive are in sexual assault cases, he’s submitted evidence from two cold case murders in hopes of finding a lead.
Howard Glen Tickner, 25, was fatally stabbed at what was once a Quality Inn located at 2720 Riverside Drive on Nov. 14, 1980, Barbee said.
The case has become cold and Barbee said he has sent blood evidence to the GBI to go into the database.
“We’ll put that unknown blood sample into CODIS and cross our fingers that the person has been put in the system and we get a match,” Barbee said.
He said he also has submitted a sexual assault kit containing evidence from the June 26, 1989 killing of 16-year-old Valinda Williams at 389 First St.
Barbee said Williams was strangled and beaten to death.
FORMING A DATABASE
Staples said CODIS began as a FBI test program in the mid 1990s.
Authorities reasoned that “a DNA profile is a bunch of numbers and it should be possible to compare the DNA to evidence and offenders,” he said.
Congress then passed the DNA Identification Act that gave the federal government permission to keep a database of DNA from offenders and evidence.
It was left up to each state to decide which offenders would be required to submit DNA samples, Staples said.
In 1998 Georgia became the first state to form a state database of DNA from offenders and evidence, said Staples, who headed up the program.
To start, the database only included samples from people convicted as sex offenders from 1995 to 2000, he said.
In subsequent years, the database was expanded to include DNA from all convicted felons sent to prison or released on or after July 1, 2000, inmates sentenced to death, serving life sentences or extended sentences and people sentenced to felony probation for violent crimes, Staples said.
Samples in Georgia’s CODIS database are forwarded to the national FBI database, allowing law enforcement agencies from different states to compare samples, he said.
Prior to July 2000, inmates were required to submit blood samples. Now, cells are taken from inside a person’s cheek, he said.
Staples said the GBI is able to test evidence containing anything from blood, semen and saliva to DNA left behind on sunglasses and ball caps.
DNA from the evidence is automatically submitted into CODIS after being analyzed by the GBI during the normal process of crime solving. Agencies also can request evidence from cases older than CODIS to be included in the database, he said.
When a match is found in the database, Staples said analysts retrieve the original samples of DNA from the evidence and the offender to re-run the test.
After notifying law enforcement agencies of the match, investigators must then obtain a fresh DNA sample from the offender and submit it for a third comparison, he said.
Working as a manager, Staples said he misses making the phone calls to investigators to tell them the good news about a match being found.
“With some of them, you literally hear them hollering into the phone,” he said, adding he’s also heard investigators cry and run around telling their coworkers.
“You miss that gratification,” he said.

I have read everything I could find on Tara's disappearance and I have a few questions I have not found answers to. If anyone could fill in the gaps, I would appreciate it!

1. Tara's dog, Dolly: I have read that she spent the nights in the house with Tara. Looking at photos of Tara's house, it appears that the carport is right up to the where the fence opens (there is even a photo of Dolly sitting there). Assuming that Tara made it home, when she pulled in the drive, Dolly would have come to this opening. Does anyone know if this is how Tara generally retrieved Dolly when she came home? Also, if someone had been waiting there to abduct/harm Tara, why would a German Shepherd companion not have sensed the danger and came over the fence at the perp? I had a female G.S. who had no problem getting over a 6' redwood fence.

2. As to the glove: since we know that Tara spent the day doing hair/make-up for pageant contestants (and did hair/make-up at other times for her girls [i.e. prom]), might she have kept a box of these gloves in her home for when she was using dyes or perming solutions? Thus, in addition to male DNA, the 'connection' to Tara?

3. The ex MH: Does not sit with me; he was with Tara for several years and knew the ins and outs of her home. No forced entry? Big deal - LE have jimmys/tools to get into locked places without leaving a trace. Or, he may have had a key copy that Tara was unaware of - does anyone know if she had replaced all of the locks? We know she had recently bought a new lock - but was it installed? Were all locks replaced and windows re-inforced due to her concern?

4. Was a window in her bedroom open as I have read?

5. Was her necklace found broken and beads scattered, or was this just a rumor? I ask because if she had disrobed (her clothes on the divan or floor) wouldn't she have taken off the necklace before taking off a top?

6. The ex and his LE pal on the ride-along: Could they have pulled Tara over as she was driving home from the BBQ and worked this as a team?

I know I had more questions - should have written them down! If I recall any of them, I will come back and post them. I am just flabbergasted that they have not solved this - there are only 3500 people in this town for pete's sake!

TIA

This is my very first posting, so bear with me. I have read a lot of the comments on here, and have read the transcripts for the "48 Hours" special. I wanted to specifically answer some of the questions Fermi posted. And of course, these are just my humble opinions and feelings.

1. Tara's dog, Dolly: I had a German Shephard for 7 years. While she would bark at anything even remotely moving, she WAS NOT afraid of strangers, let alone MALE strangers. As a matter of fact, she would scratch on the back door in an attempt to get either me or my roommate to open the door if any of our male friends came to the house, so that she could come in and "greet" them by promptly climbing on their laps and licking their faces like long lost freinds. This especially bothered me, because she would allow ANY MALE into out back yard, including Power, Cable, and Phone co. emloyees. It is possible, therefore, that Dolly may have had a similar personality, although w/o having met the dog, its really hard to say.

2. As to the glove: One suggestion that I have seen repeatedly on here that I have a BIG issue with is the assertion that the glove could have simply 'blown into the yard'. I am a Nurse, so I of course work with gloves on an all too regular basis. I Even manage to take them home with me accidently on a regular basis, as I tend to keep a few in my pockets for little emergencies that may arrise. I have on many occasions dropped them in my driveway, only to find them there when leaving for work the next night. With a strong gust of wind, i could see that the "blown glove" theory could be plausible, but otherwise, not so much. (I will admit too that I have a bad habit of taking non soiled gloves off, and while inside out, putting them back into my pockets. Always makes for an interesting find in the morning when I get home.)

3. The ex MH: This is the million dollar question. I think that you have some VERY valid points, but one would have to also assume that the buddy he was riding along with would be willing to risk his career and his freedom to completely break all protocol and assist in some sort of abduction/crime cover-up. But like i said, you raise some VERY PLAUSABLE questions and scenarios.

4.Window: I don't remember reading anything about an open window, but that would make a "laying in wait" scenario very plausable.

5. Necklace: I believe it was still intact when found, but cannot say for sure if it was broken somehow or not.

6. The ex and his LE pal on the ride-along: I think I covered that in #3...

I dunno that I can really contribute more than my opinions and thoughts, But it does make me feel good that there still are so many people willing to help in whatever way they can to help their fellow man.

Bumping for Tara - can we get some new thoughts going on the thread?
Thanks!.....

dearmont, Here's my thought, theory and opinion. I can't see the following as being just a coincidence!!

Two people both with possible grudges against T., riding together on the night T. disappears....

I suspect and only guessing, her car was pulled over before she got home, then one of the men got in her car and rides home with her, thus explaining the reason the dog was not taken in the house and her cloths was on the floor.

Quote:
Grinstead had lodged a complaint with the police department against one of its officers. The officer was friendly with her former boyfriend, and on the night Grinstead disappeared, the two men were seen together in his patrol car, on what is known in police circles as a "ride-along."...:cop:

Cannot believe it will be four yrs tomorrow that Tara went missing. Tara where are you???

Tara,

Just wanted to post a quick note that you are loved and missed! You are also in my (and others) thoughts everyday! These past 4 years have weighed heavily on my (and others) hearts. We just want you home!

lobo34

Thinking of Tara on this 4th anniversary of her disappearance. May the truth be known some day and may those who keep searching be blessed. My heart has a special place for Tara.

Love
Esah :rose:

Hard to believe it has been 4 years since Tara disappeared. I hope that whoever did this grows a conscious and tells the whole story and gives Tara and her family some kind of closure.

Four years...I just can't believe it has been that long. I will always believe it was the ex and his buddy who was riding along with him that night. It sounds to me like no one in LE really took a good look at these two because they are cops and it also sounds like it is a place where everyone covers each others butts regardless of what they do....the whole town just keeps their mouths shut regardless what they might know. There are places in this world like that. From what I've been told.....this is one of those places.

It's hard to believe that Tara's body hasn't been found in all of this time. I really wonder if those guys didn't take her far away so that she wouldn't be found or they knew some place where she would be hard to find close to home. This has to be hell on her mother who it seems isn't a well woman.

Why would the ex and the buddy do away with Tara? Because she lodged a complaint? This defies reason to me, simply because if there was small town politics at stake here, it was easy enough for them to make her look like a hysterical slightly unbalanced female. The ex appeared to have moved on.

Someone recently re-raised HD to me even though it appears that his alibi has cleared him. She is not a poster here on WS but is an occasional reader and I respect her opinion. I am going to look more at him when I get some free time-I still am intrigued by LG and the possibility that she walked away....JMO

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that Tara's mother has since passed. She has all her answers now. :(
Four years...I just can't believe it has been that long. I will always believe it was the ex and his buddy who was riding along with him that night. It sounds to me like no one in LE really took a good look at these two because they are cops and it also sounds like it is a place where everyone covers each others butts regardless of what they do....the whole town just keeps their mouths shut regardless what they might know. There are places in this world like that. From what I've been told.....this is one of those places.

It's hard to believe that Tara's body hasn't been found in all of this time. I really wonder if those guys didn't take her far away so that she wouldn't be found or they knew some place where she would be hard to find close to home. This has to be hell on her mother who it seems isn't a well woman.

I see the show haunted evidence has rerun the tara episode like 3 times in the last few weeks i wonder if they are doing this for a reason...same thing in the molly bisch one .

This is turning into a cold case!! Nothing new!! Folks, this just ain't right. She is out there, somewhere. Tara, we are still looking and still thinking about you.

Praying that answers will be found, even after all this time.

Why would the ex and the buddy do away with Tara? Because she lodged a complaint? This defies reason to me, simply because if there was small town politics at stake here, it was easy enough for them to make her look like a hysterical slightly unbalanced female. The ex appeared to have moved on.

Someone recently re-raised HD to me even though it appears that his alibi has cleared him. She is not a poster here on WS but is an occasional reader and I respect her opinion. I am going to look more at him when I get some free time-I still am intrigued by LG and the possibility that she walked away....JMO

I've read a lot about this case, but have never posted on it. What was HD's alibi? I've never heard that he had one. There were several hours that were unaccounted for, IIRC. Didn't he place himself at Tara's house? :waitasec:

I don't believe she walked away, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm new to WS, and it's hard to keep up with all the many details over the years of posts. I have always remembered Tara's case and have checked periodically for updates, but forgive me if my questions have already been answered somewhere.

Did anyone ever determine where the cash came from? Did Tara herself make a bank transaction, and if so, when? If not, did someone else withdraw that amount of cash locally?

I also saw another missing persons case involving cash in a car in which investigators suspected that the perpetrator left the money with the car unlocked to encourage someone to steal it. (In that case, the keys were in the ignition, and they presumed the perp wanted someone to steal the entire car to contaminate/remove evidence.) Is a diversion attempt a possibility here? Somebody wanting someone else to come by and leave fingerprints while stealing the cash?

I'm new to WS, and it's hard to keep up with all the many details over the years of posts. I have always remembered Tara's case and have checked periodically for updates, but forgive me if my questions have already been answered somewhere.

Did anyone ever determine where the cash came from? Did Tara herself make a bank transaction, and if so, when? If not, did someone else withdraw that amount of cash locally?

I also saw another missing persons case involving cash in a car in which investigators suspected that the perpetrator left the money with the car unlocked to encourage someone to steal it. (In that case, the keys were in the ignition, and they presumed the perp wanted someone to steal the entire car to contaminate/remove evidence.) Is a diversion attempt a possibility here? Somebody wanting someone else to come by and leave fingerprints while stealing the cash?

Tara's brother in law told me that the cash was from an ATM withdrawal. I believe she made it on Wed or Thurs. Tara often kept cash in her car for expenses. She drove to two different colleges for night classes.

Tara's brother in law told me that the cash was from an ATM withdrawal. I believe she made it on Wed or Thurs. Tara often kept cash in her car for expenses. She drove to two different colleges for night classes.

Thanks for the info, RememberTara. I guess that means that it probably wasn't a robbery gone wrong. (I don't think that's what anyone has ever suspected anyway...but at least a clue to a motive rule-out.)

I'll keep reading and thinking, and I'm encouraged to see that the forum is still active!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back