George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another case that makes me think this country needs professional juries. I've said it here lot of times. Trained people who can set aside emotion, for starters... pros and cons for this argument of course. Don't want to derail, but it's something else to think about over the next 5 days. =)

I think jurors for hire opens up the door to bribery.

Its crazy how wide this case has spread. I’m a super mod on a sports board with 6M visits and 65M page views a month and our off topic/politics forum is wild with posts on this case. It’s touching facets of my digital ecosystem not normally impacted by these subjects. I hope the jury can avoid info on the case.
Interesting to know. Thanks for posting this tidbit. :)

absolutely agree!!!!! I don't think it's derailing... I think this is a perfect example that supports your opinion... of course, that is JMO

I've quoted myself lol

Wait... I feel like I should clarify. I'm not saying that this jury can't do that. We don't even know the verdict yet. But I can assume that this one will not be easy for them since it is such a high profile case.

It won't be long before we hear from the other officers in their own trial. I wonder how much the outcome for Chauvin will affect their case.
Are they expected to see a trial? I haven’t seen much about them.

It won't be long before we hear from the other officers in their own trial. I wonder how much the outcome for Chauvin will affect their case.
I have NOT listened to their BCA interviews... partially because I didn't want it to cloud my thoughts on this case, because the jurors are also not privy to that.

It's interesting that it appears Chauvin didn't do an interview with the BCA investigators, but the other 3 did. Whoever was represting Chauvin, whether it was just the union or a lawyer... Chauvin should call them up today and thank them. The other 3.. dumb dumb dumb! IMO

Forensic Analysis of Injury and Death by Asphyxiation

Not sure how much I trust this source, but wanted to include this info as well:

Tolerance to ischemia and asphyxia vary with not only age and special adaptation but also with past medical history and present state of health. For example, those who have a history of cardiovascular or pulmonary disease may be more susceptible [e.g. heart attack, asthma]. Medications can also affect the body's ability to defend itself against asphyxial threat.

Also, on re-reading an article, I thought this was important:

For example, if a neck compression restraint hold caused death by asphyxia (excluding the scenario of delayed airway occlusion due to neck structure injury), the victim should remain unconscious after the neck hold was released. A history of the victim verbalizing or carrying out volitional activity after the neck pressure was released is not consistent with death being due to the direct effect of the neck compression.

Pathology of Asphyxial Death: Overview, Epidemiology, Mechanism of Morbidity and Mortality

Quick question, as I don’t know the answer in the US (or if it’s state specific etc), but here we have professional misconduct hearings and investigations after incidents (before it would perhaps be progressed to criminal charges). To highlight all failings- not just a single persons, although it can be an individuals- I’m thinking of medical negligence cases as an example that could be similar . It still strikes me in this case that there were a whole multitude of failings that day and from an outsiders POV- I’m concerned that if DC is found guilty then it will allow everything to be swept under the carpet and nothing else will be addressed. For there to then be another incident involving excessive use of force in the shooting/taser accident and the police officer also being charged (who was potentially trained by the same people as DC and following the same training regime) causes me to again question the whole training on restraints, use of force etc and the inability to deesculate seems endemic and merely an after thought, rather than the first approach.

I am a believer in professional juries too. JMO

I've thought about that too over the years.

But I'm worried if professional jurors each think they are more intelligent than the others then very big egos could definitely get in the way. Especially if there are differing points of view on the same evidence.

Remember in Scott Peterson's case? Imo the first foreman felt he was far superior in intellect than the other eleven jurors. So much so he would only deliberate HIS way or NO way. Imo, his ego got in the way of common sense. Professional jurors may also have big competing egos.

Honestly jurors have been rendering correct verdicts in courtrooms everywhere since we started having juries. and only gets it wrong every so often.

I personally still trust juries who does take their duties seriously, imo.

Now what I do see popping up more are the lone wolves, but that could happen with professional juries as well who refuses to budge.

Sometimes I worry that lone wolves are doing so in high profile cases because it sells more books to go against the grain than with it.

I think we'll have an unanimous verdict in this case though. I can't see a lone wolf being strong enough to go against the majority. The stakes are too high, and they know what the city has already adversely gone through even before the trial.

Jmho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members