Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The indictment of Rex A. Heuermann on two additional murder charges in the ongoing Gilgo Beach serial killer case opens up a new chapter in the investigation, expanding the period and the geographical area in which the alleged killer was active, officials and experts say.

Serial killer analysts, veteran prosecutors and defense attorneys say that new charges and potential new ones down the road could complicate the case even more, and delay a trial for a long time.

But because Heuermann is charged with murder, there’s no statutory requirement to bring the case within a certain time.

I think it's impossible for this case to be tried in 2024 considering the filing of new charges,” veteran Manhattan-based defense attorney Robert Gottlieb said. “I would expect that the case will go to trial when the DA has determined that there are no additional charges, no additional murders, that they would expect to be indicted by a grand jury.”

With Heuermann looking at multiple life sentences if convicted, Gottlieb said that there’s less incentive for the defendant to plead guilty.

Former Nassau County prosecutor Fred Klein, who prosecuted Long Island’s most prolific serial killer, Joel Rifkin, said he believes the number of victims charged in the case will rise.

“I’m confident that if people look hard enough they’re going to find other victims,” he said.

The indictment of Rex A. Heuermann on two additional murder charges in the ongoing Gilgo Beach serial killer case opens up a new chapter in the investigation, expanding the period and the geographical area in which the alleged killer was active, officials and experts say.

Serial killer analysts, veteran prosecutors and defense attorneys say that new charges and potential new ones down the road could complicate the case even more, and delay a trial for a long time.

But because Heuermann is charged with murder, there’s no statutory requirement to bring the case within a certain time.

I think it's impossible for this case to be tried in 2024 considering the filing of new charges,” veteran Manhattan-based defense attorney Robert Gottlieb said. “I would expect that the case will go to trial when the DA has determined that there are no additional charges, no additional murders, that they would expect to be indicted by a grand jury.”

With Heuermann looking at multiple life sentences if convicted, Gottlieb said that there’s less incentive for the defendant to plead guilty.

Former Nassau County prosecutor Fred Klein, who prosecuted Long Island’s most prolific serial killer, Joel Rifkin, said he believes the number of victims charged in the case will rise.

“I’m confident that if people look hard enough they’re going to find other victims,” he said.

No way will the trial happen in 2024. I'd be surprised if it happens in 2025.

And now that I'm thinking about it, RH will never admit guilt because staying in jail for years of delay is better than being in prison (for him, not for anyone else).

jmo

Did she speak of a big guy with aviator glasses???
I can't remember, where I read about that detail. It isn't long ago, and it was connected with murders and this case, but not directly with RH, I believe. I was immediately thinking of RH re "aviator glasses", but didn't know exactly, if I was right or wrong.
ETA: I want to find it again.
This and some posts afterwards?..

As quoted from your post:

The irony really irks me actually.
We will want to see if there is more and more and more.....
but all that does is allow him to stay in "cushy" jail... when we want to see him in some horrid prison forever.

I've heard here and there on videos/podcasts that RH's father died under mysterious circumstances with no further details given.

I've never seen anything reported in print.
Anyone?
There isn’t even an obit for his father. If I were the betting type, I’d put money on this death, when he was 12, the events leading up to it and the family dynamics afterward are the key to RH’s warped psyche.

I thought the witness said that AE was at the home the night KV was there they were having a swingers party, the cop had sex with RH and told witness they were playing a game when she saw KV at window.
Tyler Wornell OCT 18, 2023 rbbm
''One of the witnesses who spoke with the attorney, John Ray, said she had previously encountered Heuermann at a well-known swinger’s club near Heuermann’s Manhattan office.
The witness told Ray she went to Heuermann’s home with her boyfriend after seeing an advertisement at the club inviting swingers to a Massapequa Park home. Once they arrived, the witness claims she was greeted by Heuermann and a woman believed to be his spouse, Asa Ellerup.

When the witness and her boyfriend were leaving, she claims another woman, identified as Vergata, was seen running out of the house naked.

“This is the first we’ve really heard about interaction with the wife being involved in anything other than those hairs” found on victims Heuermann is accused of killing
, Coffindaffer said.''

As quoted from your post:

The irony really irks me actually.
We will want to see if there is more and more and more.....
but all that does is allow him to stay in "cushy" jail... when we want to see him in some horrid prison forever.
Me too, but at least RH is behind bars unable to hurt anyone else. I think LE has a good idea there are more attached to RH and want to try as many of them together as they can.

moo

June 11 '24 rbbm
''Amira said his first impression of Heuermann was that he was a “very strong man.”
“He gripped my hand, and it hurt,” Amira said Monday night on “Banfield.” “It was very difficult for me to drive the conversation. Because he’s an architect, he loved making a fool of the city, making a fool of the government. People with authority. Very narcissistic.”

Amira also picked up on a “strange relationship” between Heuermann and his daughter, who was there during the interview. He said “it felt like she was intimated (by Heuermann). I didn’t feel comfortable when he was talking to her.”

Agreed, and Peaches' skull is still missing.

And don't forget the victim from Las Vegas, Lindsay Marie Harris. They recovered Lindsay's legs, but noting this because of those HK photo references. Source:
"Lindsay Marie Harris went missing from Henderson in 2005. Her severed legs were discovered in similar circumstances to Fire Island Jane Doe 7, identified just over a week ago as Karen Vergata."

A lot of people on here speculated when they saw that horrible poster taken from RH's home that the beaten woman in the poster resembled Lindsay Harris. This is even more of a concern now that RH's "HK" notes mention photos and "pic's." A long time ago when wondering about this, I said I hope not, and not likely. I still hope not, but not as unlikely, jmo.
Would RH have packed up his tools and taken them with him to Nevada?

Last edited:
Karen Vergata is Fire Island Jane Doe. She was identified last summer shortly after RH was arrested. Her legs were found at Davis Park on Fire Island, and her skull on Tobay Beach between Gilgo and Jones beaches. Her torso and arms have never been found. 1019UFNY

The Doe Network says her arms and legs were found on Jones Beach, but it also said her head was there and that was not true. That's why she doesn't have a forensic sketch - they never found her skull. Karen Vergata's skull was found not far away, so it may be that someone assumed that was Peaches' skull and they never corrected it? I also found old Newsday articles from 2011 identifying her toddler and Doe Network says that didn't happen until 2016, so I don't know what's going on with her entry there. But some of her remains were definitely found during the second major Gilgo/Jones Beach search, and since that's when they found her bracelets I am assuming it was at least her arms.

ETA: The 2011 Daily News article uses some pretty anti-sex worker and transphobic language, because of course it does. Just a heads up. /ETA

And between looking this stuff up and reading the discussion of VH's age, I just realized that Peaches' baby would have been about the same age as VH.
My guess is that Peaches' skull is also along Ocean Parkway but just wasn't discovered with the other remains. Wasn't that RH's pattern?

Jun 10, 2024
"I can imagine that if someone is able to get away with several murders, they can also have the skillset to get away with infidelity or lying too," Dr. Sanjay Adhia, a forensic psychiatrist, told Newsweek.''

''Adhia noted that a serial killer probably uses similar traits to carry out the murder cases as they do with their families, such as lying and manipulation.
"If you're able to do these types of things and not have your spouse know about it, it might be a relationship where they don't know what their spouse is doing," Schug told Newsweek. "One explanation could be a deteriorating marriage."

Karen Vergata is Fire Island Jane Doe. She was identified last summer shortly after RH was arrested. Her legs were found at Davis Park on Fire Island, and her skull on Tobay Beach between Gilgo and Jones beaches. Her torso and arms have never been found. 1019UFNY

The Doe Network says her arms and legs were found on Jones Beach, but it also said her head was there and that was not true. That's why she doesn't have a forensic sketch - they never found her skull. Karen Vergata's skull was found not far away, so it may be that someone assumed that was Peaches' skull and they never corrected it? I also found old Newsday articles from 2011 identifying her toddler and Doe Network says that didn't happen until 2016, so I don't know what's going on with her entry there. But some of her remains were definitely found during the second major Gilgo/Jones Beach search, and since that's when they found her bracelets I am assuming it was at least her arms.

ETA: The 2011 Daily News article uses some pretty anti-sex worker and transphobic language, because of course it does. Just a heads up. /ETA

And between looking this stuff up and reading the discussion of VH's age, I just realized that Peaches' baby would have been about the same age as VH.
Exactly, about Peaches’ toddler and VH’s ages and it does make you wonder who the father was.

Last edited:
Well, one of these articles definitely answers one outstanding quiestion.
His mother was living in a senior center in NJ, but went to live with one of her daughters.
I've been poking around on Ancestry to attempt to find something on RH's father's death, but haven't yet. States tend to hold Death Certificates for a certain period and I googled New York: "In New York state, death certificates are not public records. They are protected vital records, which means you need to be an immediate family member or have a legal claim to access these documents. The only exception to this is records over 50 years old. In New York state, death records become public record once they’re 50 years old."

I've been poking around on Ancestry to attempt to find something on RH's father's death, but haven't yet. States tend to hold Death Certificates for a certain period and I googled New York: "In New York state, death certificates are not public records. They are protected vital records, which means you need to be an immediate family member or have a legal claim to access these documents. The only exception to this is records over 50 years old. In New York state, death records become public record once they’re 50 years old."
Well, that would mean his should be available sometime in 2025.

Jun 10, 2024
"I can imagine that if someone is able to get away with several murders, they can also have the skillset to get away with infidelity or lying too," Dr. Sanjay Adhia, a forensic psychiatrist, told Newsweek.''

''Adhia noted that a serial killer probably uses similar traits to carry out the murder cases as they do with their families, such as lying and manipulation.
"If you're able to do these types of things and not have your spouse know about it, it might be a relationship where they don't know what their spouse is doing," Schug told Newsweek. "One explanation could be a deteriorating marriage."
I totally think getting away with deception and doing something society think is bad is just as satisfying as the deeds themselves. And this particular perp enjoyed knowing all the rules of something boring like decades-old building codes while breaking the rules of basic human decency.

The man is smug, smug, smug and he relishes knowing what he did while LE is trying to figure it out. imo

jmo

Jun 10, 2024

Bring to mind those bigamist men with families in another state, or next town. Actually married to more than one ! The wives seem to never know & the man apparently covers his tracks. The husband travels on business which is when he is with other family ….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper