Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #14

The list of victims suggests a Hispanic perp.

Sexually motivated serial killers generally kill what they are attracted to/what matters to them. Most of the victims are Hispanic.

Would definitely agree the perp may be Hispanic, and might even go as far as could likely be Hispanic, but I don't really think the perp "has to be" Hispanic.

Many of the victims do not appear to be Hispanic. If it's an SK, he's not going to be asking if they're Hispanic. To my knowledge, at least some of the victims are not in reality Hispanic, either. But understood that this is something to consider, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is RH. But it might be, and that's something to consider, too.

Would definitely agree the perp may be Hispanic, and might even go as far as could likely be Hispanic, but I don't really think the perp "has to be" Hispanic.

Many of the victims do not appear to be Hispanic. If it's an SK, he's not going to be asking if they're Hispanic. To my knowledge, at least some of the victims are not in reality Hispanic, either. But understood that this is something to consider, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is RH. But it might be, and that's something to consider, too.
Add to that Rex was single, 25 yo. He did not marry til 90, these took place 88, 89. Married Asa 96. Just important details

do you know that she has already been paid? I would think that payment would come after the documentary is made IMO
I would expect her attorney negotiated at least an advance, perhaps a "signing bonus". I doubt she got the majority of the money, but she's probably gotten some and will, perhaps, continue to get paid for her "appearances".

It's a very Portuguese area- traditional whaling town.

I noticed one of the victims was Cape Verdean. Cape Verde was once a Portuguese colony.

MOO

Could Rex be responsible for the New Bedford Highway killings?

If it becomes known that Rex went to or through this area at the time of the murders, I am going to say it is very plausible he murdered these women in rather quick succession. Then tried to control himself by getting engaged and married.

He'd have to have a reason to be in or drive through the area.

The things that make me think it's plausible is the mention that the culprit may have used a badge, which we have heard about Rex, and that the victims were picked up one place and left another- always by a road.

The thing that makes it less plausible is he'd need a reason to make nearly a dozen trips to that area. It's not really that far and could be a pleasant day trip- but it's not that close either. It's not a commute- it's a trip.

MOO

Could Rex be responsible for the New Bedford Highway killings?

If it becomes known that Rex went to or through this area at the time of the murders, I am going to say it is very plausible he murdered these women in rather quick succession. Then tried to control himself by getting engaged and married.

He'd have to have a reason to be in or drive through the area.

The things that make me think it's plausible is the mention that the culprit may have used a badge, which we have heard about Rex, and that the victims were picked up one place and left another- always by a road.

The thing that makes it less plausible is he'd need a reason to make nearly a dozen trips to that area. It's not really that far and could be a pleasant day trip- but it's not that close either. It's not a commute- it's a trip.

MOO
Unless the slayings were the reason for his trips. I recall in his notes on HK document a reminder to not charge gas - made me think he was planning trips rather than just local.

Sandra Costilla has never been noted to be a sex worker. I've seen articles saying she had a "drifter" type of lifestyle.

As bright light streams into RH's twisted past, though, I'd be almost certain they're going to uncover (probably many) more murders of non-SWs. And definitely his earliest kills-- jmo, there will be more non-SWs if LE can penetrate deep enough, and it'll help if RH starts cooperating (like Cottingham), which may come later. Would be convinced there's more to come from RH's "records" as well, so am waiting and watching.

This is what I believe too.... I feel that earlier victims were not sex workers. Maybe just easy sex.

Lets face it.... As RH got older, maybe he had to work harder to get what he wanted, and I am sure he thought there would be less publicity if they were sex worker.
Maybe when younger, he felt he could take more risk. Extensive use of and databasing of DNA was not around in his early years.

I just hope we can get deeper.
I do keep our ol favorite WS line in my head............. "LE knows so much more than we do"

Last edited:
Repost, snippets from lengthy article to keep places where RH worked in mind.
BY DAN ADLER AUGUST 7, 2023 rbbm
''He founded his firm, RH Consultants & Associates, in 1994. RH worked on a Target in SoHo, a Foot Locker near Yankee Stadium, and a hair salon in the Meatpacking District, among other buildings.''

''His expertise was in expediting projects through arcane city building codes rather than in architectural design. Ginia Bellafante, writing for The New York Times, examined how Heuermann exerted influence in the tonier townhouses of Brooklyn, where architects of more visible prestige would need his help shepherding through their wealthy clients’ renovations. “As a journeyman who held bureaucratic authority,” she wrote, “he could veto the plans of architects with degrees from Yale and projects in Nantucket.” Mary Shell, an employee of his around the time of the murders, wrote in New York that “He did what he needed to do,” Miyasato said, referring to Heuermann’s work as a building code compliance consultant. “He certainly communicated with all of us on a regular basis that he was an expert at that.”

“Listen, it’s very hard to be passionate about building department codes,” the engineer said. “I mean, it’s boring. But he was very into it. Loved it. Most people do it because you have to, you have to apply the codes to your craft, but he literally thrived on it.”

Unless the slayings were the reason for his trips. I recall in his notes on HK document a reminder to not charge gas - made me think he was planning trips rather than just local.
It's 4 1/2- 5 1/2 hours by the ferry route. More by bridges. Traffic would greatly impact the time the trip takes, but I assume the roads are less congested during peak murder hours. At his age at the time, 25ish, I've done longer trips for one overnight/short stays. And both routes, ferry or through the city, would have been much less monitored at the time. I imagine by bridges in the eighties, you could avoid cameras and witnesses entirely. On the ferry, you could be remembered.

Also...EVERYTHING costs more on an island. Craig Heuermann's vehicular manslaughter occurred high on cocaine. If it were a family hobby to indulge, it's possible Rex shopped at a discount there.

MOO

Edit to add a thought.

When I search for related news stories, I find links that lead to "ooops. No longer available." But the blurbs with the links on the search say that there is evidence there is one killer- DNA evidence. So I think there will be a satisfyingly solid rule-in or rule out on New Bedford.

MOO

Attachments

• IMG_0080.png
    IMG_0080.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's 4 1/2- 5 1/2 hours by the ferry route. More by bridges. Traffic would greatly impact the time the trip takes, but I assume the roads are less congested during peak murder hours. At his age at the time, 25ish, I've done longer trips for one overnight/short stays. And both routes, ferry or through the city, would have been much less monitored at the time. I imagine by bridges in the eighties, you could avoid cameras and witnesses entirely. On the ferry, you could be remembered.

Also...EVERYTHING costs more on an island. Craig Heuermann's vehicular manslaughter occurred high on cocaine. If it were a family hobby to indulge, it's possible Rex shopped at a discount there.

MOO

Edit to add a thought.

When I search for related news stories, I find links that lead to "ooops. No longer available." But the blurbs with the links on the search say that there is evidence there is one killer- DNA evidence. So I think there will be a satisfyingly solid rule-in or rule out on New Bedford.

MOO
thanks for your edit: I run into the same thing.... When it looks as if it is interesting data at the link, but it is not available. You phrased it just about right. Hard to do!!

Dang, this isn't an easy search....

New Bedford highway killer DNA mentions:

2/11/21
"We are utilizing the most up to date to technology in this case and several other cold cases from previous administrations. We have completed DNA testing in the case, which remains active and ongoing."

6/27/24
"Fun fact: @OthramTech said months ago how they were willing to take on the challenge of the New Bedford Highway Serial Killer case in Massachusetts. Hope to see the Bristol County DAs Office or @MassStatePolice accept the offer for support. "

4/27/18
"The serial killings predated DNA technology, but in 2008 some of the evidence was sent to the FBI for testing. The results are now stored in a federal database, waiting for a potential match that would alert authorities."

Out of six victims officially linked to RH so far, how many he likely did not murder in his home?
His and his first wife's DNA was found on the first (1993) victim Sandra Costilla. Did he take her home? She was mutilated but only Jessica Taylor (2003) was dismembered as well. Where did that take place? If he did not murder exclusively at home, then technically he didn't have to rely on his family being out of town. Other potential victims between Sandra and Jessica (Karen Vergata - 1996, Peaches - 1997 and Valerie Mack - 2000) were all dismembered. Wouldn't leaving body parts at different locations increase the chances of getting caught? He wrote his how-to manual around 2000. How many did he murder before then?

Was that confirmed to be his property ?

I vaguely remember reading MA was a myth.

But who knows. Maybe the source was one of the family's lying lawyers.
Was that confirmed to be his property ?

I vaguely remember reading MA was a myth.

But who knows. Maybe the source was one of the family's lying lawyers.

MOO
W warick ri is listed at times too. Am intrigued by the search rt 88, the recovery and how RH can somehow be linked. All ideas, not concrete. I havent paid $ for a properties RH has owned search. Just web searches. We shall see...89, 90 murders solved is a win. Whoever did it. Ty

Am I the only one who never noticed that sturdy frame that could be built with 6x6's?

Pic on the right.

It's very disturbing, after the most recent charge/bail documents.

If you scroll down the text, you can find the whole picture, and the eerie frame in the backyard is not blocked by the "play" button.

MOO

Last edited:
For refreshing:

2. Address History.
(1) 103 Main St, Trailer #4, North Reading, MA 01864
(2) 105 1st Ave, Massapequa Park, NY 11762
(3) 108 1st Ave, Massapequa Park, NY 11762
(4) 1366 Huron Rd, North Brunswick, NJ 08902
(5) 824 W Osborn Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013
(6) 1427 Main St, West Warwick, RI 02893
(7) 7428 Beechwood Ave, Beverly Hills, MI 48025
(8) 87 Columbia St, New York, NY 10002
(9) 36 Ridgewood Way, Burlington, NJ 08016
(10) 5499 W Tropicana Avenue, #1012, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89103

New Bedford's Weld Square was notorious back in the day for drugs and sex work. It drew in many out of towners.
1989 article: "Hard drugs -- heroin and cocaine -- bring outsiders to Weld Square at all hours of the day or night."
Article continues: "Pushers and their runners sell. Users buy. Prostitutes sell their bodies to feed the heroin habits that consume them....That vicious drug-and-prostitution cycle, common to gritty neighborhoods in most cities, brought someone else to Weld Square -- a serial killer investigators believe has slain at least eight women in the past 13 months."

We want more info about RH's whereabouts from the time he graduated from Berner to the time he married. It's a big blind spot.

Am I the only one who never noticed that sturdy frame that could be built with 6x6's?

Pic on the right.

It's very disturbing, after the most recent charge/bail documents.

If you scroll down the text, you can find the whole picture, and the eerie frame in the backyard is not blocked by the "play" button.

MOO
It looks like an old swing set maybe? I see a chain like for a swing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back