Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It has been a while since I've checked in on this case.

It is my understanding that the "Gilgo Four" is now officially known as the "Gilgo Six." Is this correct?

He's been charged in six murders. Only five were found on Gilgo Beach. Sandra Costilla was found in North Sea, with no remains elsewhere. Jessica Taylor was initially found in Manorville, but had been partially dismembered and her partial remains were found on Gilgo Beach.

Maybe THOSE are his MISS-LEADERS. HZis own twisted play on words -- mislead... miss..... change up his M.O. to pull LE in competing directions, then sit back and readaboutit.

JMO

I think I've said this before, but my own opinion/theory is that miss-leaders was his cutesy (gross) name for drivers, pimps, etc. - people who "lead" the "misses" around. I think he was reminding himself to be careful not to choose victims who worked with others, as those others might have details about him that could be shared with law enforcement, and would notice when his victims went missing. No real evidence I can point to, it just seems like the sort of smug not joke he would use based on that one interview. I thought he was just a bad speller, but someone else pointed out that his spelling of organized/disorganized might come from Taxi Driver and it got me thinking.

I actually kind of think Amber Costello was not a planned victim, but he decided to target her because he was angry. He made a lot of mistakes in her abduction, and frankly if law enforcement had been doing their job and following up on the description of him and his truck, they might have caught him then. Maybe not, it's impossible to know how/if things would play out differently, but he was pretty careful most of the time, but left so many clues in Amber's case.

OOPS -- Michael Brown is going to have a real problem with WH as an alternate suspect. IF WH is related to RH, and it had been Rex's mtDNA, it would be a confusing line for a jury to get back to RH's grandmother's uncle. HOWEVER, the DNA on the belt matches Asa!

"Through a forensic analysis of a hair found on the belt buckle used to restrain victim Maureen Brainard-Barnes’s body, detectives obtained nuclear DNA results that they said are nearly identical to Asa Ellerup, Heuermann’s wife," quoting from a Chanel 12, the Bronx article.

https://bronx.news12.com/court-reco...-wife-daughter-recovered-from-victims- bodies

Of course, if there's proof WH was in the home of RH and AE, it could still be transfer. But on all the victims? with such differences of time? Separating the cases seems to be very advantageous for RH.
mtDNA is passed from mother to child only, aside from like one single family in China, so unless WH is his mother's mother's mother's brother, that still wouldn't work. But yeah, this throws a big wrench in that theory.

mtDNA is passed from mother to child only, aside from like one single family in China, so unless WH is his mother's mother's mother's brother, that still wouldn't work. But yeah, this throws a big wrench in that theory.
And even that is disputed:

There’s been transfer of mtDNA into the nucleus through evolution, so the distinction between what is mt and what is nuclear can be nontrivial.

Last edited:
Let's guess for a moment that WH and Rex may be longtime friends and WH has always been in and out of the home in order to pick up the transfer hairs of the DNA. Don't you suspect that LE has already collected WH's DNA from public discards and there's nary a trace of WH on any of the victims? That would further disprove the defense's "Hail Mary" of accusing someone else.

Of course there is that one unexplained, unidentified hair on, I believe, Sandra Costilla. Wonder if they will ever know who that hair might belong to?

Last edited:
It's smart, but I don't think it will matter for most of the cases. I very much doubt that what we've seen from his burner phones and computer is everything and that's pretty damning. It's a good move by Brown but I think he will still get convicted in most of the cases on their own merits.

It could be beneficial to the task force, though, since prosecutors would likely want to try the strongest cases first and be able to try them more quickly, and if that leads to convictions, then they can drop his DNA in CODIS.
Absolutely. Plus with a conviction or two RH might start talking. Who knows? Since it's behind a pay wall I haven't shared the Newsday story that says the Prosecution turned over 60,000 pages of documents taken from RH home and office -- SIXTY THOUSAND.

"60,000 pages of documents seized from Heuermann's home and office in July 2023" (Newsday is worth the quarter I paid for a few months full access)

Mazzei said the additional discovery that must be turned over following the most recent indictment means "it would not be fruitful" to conference the case again until mid-October. Mazzei set Heuermann's next court appearance for Oct. 16.

Tierney declined to say if Heuermann might face more charges before then, but prompted by a reporter, said he remains a suspect in the killing of Valerie Mack, whose remains were found near Taylor's in Manorville and near Gilgo Beach.

The $1million documentary deal signed by the wife of Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann still going ahead ?

New outfits (tick)
New haircuts (tick)
New haircolour (tick)
Add a "click bait" dog (tick)
New Navy suit (tick)
New Tie (tick)
New shirt (tick)
New shoes (tick)
Keep shaking head during Courtroom (tick)

TV Circus started with the Lawyer interview (poor woman has cancer) .... (tick)

The $1million documentary deal signed by the wife of Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann still going ahead ?

New outfits (tick)
New haircuts (tick)
New haircolour (tick)
Add a "click bait" dog (tick)
New Navy suit (tick)
New Tie (tick)
New shirt (tick)
New shoes (tick)
Keep shaking head during Courtroom (tick)

TV Circus started with the Lawyer interview (poor woman has cancer) .... (tick)
I noticed each of those things too! All decked out for the courts.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back