Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're in error. They're referring to Amber, not Sandra. Costello, not Costilla. The article is correct.

MOO
Thanks for that. Now I feel silly. Before my coffee kicked in is my only excuse.

still -- "Hair with DNA that matched Heuermann’s was found on Taylor, Costilla, and Waterman. Hair that matched Heuermann’s estranged wife, Asa Ellerup, was found on Waterman and Brainard-Barnes, and hair that matched their daughter, Victoria Heuermann, was found on Costello."

Wasn't there a hair on Costilla from a previous person in RH's household?

This story has a glaring error, but still I'm posting it. I did reach out to the publication to tell them VH was not alive when Costello was murdered.

Amber Costello is the victim who disappeared most recently in 2010. Sandra Costilla was found murdered before V was born.

It's correct now in the article, if they had mixed up Costello and Costilla upon publication.

MOO

Could someone set me straight on the practical implementation of seq-comparison legislations?

Scenario:

Killer A’s DNA is found on murder victims a, b, c, d, e in state X.

Killer A’s DNA is found on victims f, g, h, i, j in state Y.

Killer A has not been identified.

Are law enforcement in state X and state Y legally able to compare DNA from unidentified killers across state lines?

Where does the rights for privacy begin? If you leave your DNA prominently on a crime scene, one would think that unidentified DNA would have no rights at all and should - in pursuit of truth and justice - be compared to any and all sequences to discern their origin.

Thanks for that. Now I feel silly. Before my coffee kicked in is my only excuse.

still -- "Hair with DNA that matched Heuermann’s was found on Taylor, Costilla, and Waterman. Hair that matched Heuermann’s estranged wife, Asa Ellerup, was found on Waterman and Brainard-Barnes, and hair that matched their daughter, Victoria Heuermann, was found on Costello."

Wasn't there a hair on Costilla from a previous person in RH's household?
Hey, it happens to all of us, don't stress it.

There was, and debate exists whether it was his ex wife, a girlfriend, or a housemate. The person isn't identified by name in official documents.

MOO

There is also a Newsday article I can't access. And this from local Fox 5. (Not national Fox.)

MOO

There is also a Newsday article I can't access. And this from local Fox 5. (Not national Fox.)

MOO
The short of both those articles is "new evidence". Nothing about new charges though. I am on pins and needles as I keep refreshing.

Amber Costello is the victim who disappeared most recently in 2010. Sandra Costilla was found murdered before V was born.

It's correct now in the article, if they had mixed up Costello and Costilla upon publication.

MOO
See, I don't remember. The story was waiting in my email and I immediately contacted the publisher. Thanks for your suggestion that it might have been corrected online. It's as easily my inattention to the detail of the spelling as it would be for the writer to have typed it wrong or even for an editor to have "corrected" it wrong. An editor did make a horrible error in one of my print stories because she/he did not remember which presidents had been assassinated so they changed some dates. All are possibilities.

Hey, it happens to all of us, don't stress it.

There was, and debate exists whether it was his ex wife, a girlfriend, or a housemate. The person isn't identified by name in official documents.

MOO
I have learned to stress about very little, but the fact that my memory no longer grabs and holds does bother me. From what I read about the ex-wife and the shortness of the marriage, I am leaning toward a live-in friend for RH between the two marriages. Still it was a time frame of only 3 years, as I recall, so that may still be considered a short-term marriage. For some silly reason, I thought months and not years for the marriage. I don't think there's ever been anything that says definitely. It still baffles me why his mother moved out of her long term home before RH's friend/wife.

Could someone set me straight on the practical implementation of seq-comparison legislations?

Scenario:

Are law enforcement in state X and state Y legally able to compare DNA from unidentified killers across state lines?

Where does the rights for privacy begin? If you leave your DNA prominently on a crime scene, one would think that unidentified DNA would have no rights at all and should - in pursuit of truth and justice - be compared to any and all sequences to discern their origin.
I think the privacy concerns are for the un-convicted, innocent-until-proven-guilty person. Would LE in Las Vegas take the time to jump through all the hoops to inquire about DNA left at other crime scenes across the nation?

Now as I type that, I'm wondering why crime scene DNA is not entered into a national data base for comparison by LE in other jurisdictions. That way, if crimes are linked, it could be known before any arrests are even made.

Scenario:

NYS got around the warrant issue by going through garbage bins and getting informal DNA samples that could be used to further the investigation ahead of getting court permission to demand a cheek swab from Rex.

(NYS got DNA from AE voluntarily, but not until Rex was arrested. To avoid tipping the family off, family DNA was also surreptitiously collected.)

In theory, state y can go to state x and surveil a suspect and collect DNA legally, such as from garbage cans.

In addition, state y could see if an adult would give dna voluntarily...some suspects might do so to clear their names.

But otherwise state y has to meet its own municipalities' rules for requesting something gain intrusively, like on a search warrant, then have state x willing to give it up per its rules.

One thing that comes to mind is, would it have been kosher for NYS to gift discarded pizza crust? Before they knew it was going to be a match? Just give a few states' detectives some untested saliva and images of a suspect discarding them? Or, would that be trying to circumvent the privacy laws? (One reason NY would NOT do so would be it increases the chances of a leak, which could cause justice to never occur, and it creates a possibility that another state arrests first, which could be embarrassing.)

MOO

Does this mean that MtDNA isnt used for non missing persons indexes in CODIS?

The only DNA evidence RH has left behind that we know of is hair.

Collecting mitochondrial dna from rootless hair is entirely possible.

I think gathering nuclear DNA from rootless hair is a much newer development.

If i am understanding correctly, does that mean that unless LE has used these recent advanced techniques on hair samples at crime scenes, Rex's DNA wont be matched up?
1000014934.jpg

Does this mean that MtDNA isnt used for non missing persons indexes in CODIS?

The only DNA evidence RH has left behind that we know of is hair.

Collecting mitochondrial dna from rootless hair is entirely possible.

I think gathering nuclear DNA from rootless hair is a much newer development.

If i am understanding correctly, does that mean that unless LE has used these recent advanced techniques on hair samples at crime scenes, Rex's DNA wont be matched up?
View attachment 521462
They had mtDNA results in the original arrest documentation.

With the recent arrests, it was made clear that they now have full nuclear profiles after more testing.

That's how they know that hairs were found from both AE and VH. If they had only mtDNA, they couldn't be sure which of them contributed to which hair. They are, because they have nuclear profiles.

They have a full nuclear profiles for RH, too.

MOO

They had mtDNA results in the original arrest documentation.

With the recent arrests, it was made clear that they now have full nuclear profiles after more testing.

That's how they know that hairs were found from both AE and VH. If they had only mtDNA, they couldn't be sure which of them contributed to which hair. They are, because they have nuclear profiles.

They have a full nuclear profiles for RH, too.

MOO
The idea of putting him in Codis is to link him to other unsolved crimes.

Im asking if im correct in the understanding that MTDNA from other crime scenes, and RHs MtDNA, would not be allowed in Codis. Would that mean that he wouldnt be matched up to other hair samples unless LE used recent technology to extract Nuclear DNA from them?

Accused Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann made a brief appearance in court Tuesday as prosecutors turned more discovery over to the defense team.

Heuermann's estranged wife Asa Ellerup was also in court, with a support service dog and an attorney, but she did not speak.

So far, Heuermann has been charged in the murders of six women. He's a suspect in a seventh case.

He's due back in court in October.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay