Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Incredulously, for 20 years, when it was clear that the commonality between the murdered and missing Gilgo victims was their experiences in prostitution, the police still failed to thoroughly investigate the men who'd been buying them. This was ignored — even though survivors consistently say violence from sex buyers is the norm, not the exception...

The sex trade is a system predicated on an obvious power imbalance. Those bought and sold are overwhelmingly among society’s most vulnerabilities. This includes women and girls of color, LBTQ+ youth and those in foster care or who survived sexual abuse. While the gruesome violence committed by serial killers — like the one on Gilgo Beach — is extreme it is extraordinarily rare that someone in prostitution has never experienced some form of violence inflicted by a buyer.

On the flip side of the equation, sex buyers are often men just like Heuermann, with families and disposable income. Regularly, they hold down good jobs, where they spend their lunch hour or train commute buying people for sex online. When money changes hands, many buyers often believe this affords them immunity to do whatever they desire — violating, abusing or even torturing their victims. They bank on the fact that law enforcement — and society — erroneously views sex buying as harmless and low-level. This couldn’t be further from reality.

Here in the tri-state New York-New Jersey-Connecticut region, we’ve seen coverage of the grotesque and upsetting Gilgo Beach murders in our local news. There are so many lessons to be learned on this one-year anniversary of Heuermann’s arrest. Among the most important and long-lasting is to target the people perpetuating the harm, rather than an archaic focus on those being harmed.

One year ago this weekend, Massapequa Park architect Rex Heuermann was charged in the Gilgo Beach killings. In this new half-hour documentary Newsday TV looks at what we’ve learned in the year since and the investigation that led to the arrest.

Attachments

• IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 17
I cant post any of this because its paywalled, but it sounds like theres the potential of the dna evidence not being allowed in court.

The dna Techniques used in this case have never been used in NY before

NY also requires DNA labs to have permits from the health department.

There appears to be 4 new york labs with that permit

The dna Techniques used in this case have never been used in NY before

NY also requires DNA labs to have permits from the health department.

There appears to be 4 new york labs with that permit
Hi, I've been wondering about the DNA evidence as well. I suspect the Taskforce is aware of the NY requirements and is meeting them. Where I suspect the problem might be is in the recent advancements in DNA research. For instance, when the hairs were first discovered, DNA could not be used from them because they did not have the hair roots. Since then, technology has apparently been developed to extract DNA from fragments of a hair.

So, I've wondered about that and how convinced I'd need to be of the technology to convict a man without any prior blemish on his record.

However, we are aware that there is much more evidence that will be used in a trial. The cell phone evidence alone seems quite damning -- and that is just an outsider's viewpoint.

It will be interesting to see if the trial judge will allow the DNA testimony. Either way, while DNA would strengthen the case against RH, it isn't the only factor for the jury to decide on.

Watching DA Tierney and learning how organized and methodical he appears to be, I expect he'll weave everything together. The outcome will, I believe, depend on his work during the trial.

For instance, in the OJ Simpson trial, I have wondered why the prosecution did not present experts on the nature of the Akita breed. As a dog lover, I could totally have bought a presentation of the very protective nature of that breed and the likely hood that the dog (if not a puppy) would have had to have been killed in order for Nicole to have been killed -- unless the attacker was someone higher in the pack than the pet Akita that was found wandering around. If something that simple might make a difference, then likely this very complicated trial may hinge on similar points. Who knows? the Akita info might have made no difference to the members of the OJ jury. It probably would have if I had been on the jury.

Some people will respond to technical DNA info. Others may not but would to something simple but telling. The DNA evidence is important, but not required in my opinion. This post is my own musing and opinion.

Hi, I've been wondering about the DNA evidence as well. I suspect the Taskforce is aware of the NY requirements and is meeting them. Where I suspect the problem might be is in the recent advancements in DNA research. For instance, when the hairs were first discovered, DNA could not be used from them because they did not have the hair roots. Since then, technology has apparently been developed to extract DNA from fragments of a hair.

So, I've wondered about that and how convinced I'd need to be of the technology to convict a man without any prior blemish on his record.

However, we are aware that there is much more evidence that will be used in a trial. The cell phone evidence alone seems quite damning -- and that is just an outsider's viewpoint.

It will be interesting to see if the trial judge will allow the DNA testimony. Either way, while DNA would strengthen the case against RH, it isn't the only factor for the jury to decide on.

Watching DA Tierney and learning how organized and methodical he appears to be, I expect he'll weave everything together. The outcome will, I believe, depend on his work during the trial.

For instance, in the OJ Simpson trial, I have wondered why the prosecution did not present experts on the nature of the Akita breed. As a dog lover, I could totally have bought a presentation of the very protective nature of that breed and the likely hood that the dog (if not a puppy) would have had to have been killed in order for Nicole to have been killed -- unless the attacker was someone higher in the pack than the pet Akita that was found wandering around. If something that simple might make a difference, then likely this very complicated trial may hinge on similar points. Who knows? the Akita info might have made no difference to the members of the OJ jury. It probably would have if I had been on the jury.

Some people will respond to technical DNA info. Others may not but would to something simple but telling. The DNA evidence is important, but not required in my opinion. This post is my own musing and opinion.

There might be new DNA technology used, but it is not the DNA that is making the case. This case is supported by DNA, but not relying on it. The phones, searches, planning documents, witnesses and the avalanche are more important.

Also, at least 3 different residents or recent residents of Heuermann's house. With three different co-inhabitors' hair distributed among crime scenes, it becomes less important the number of zeros used in the number to represent the likelihood that it's a match. Even if it were just one in a million, for three different residents plus the defendant himself, that evidence gets pretty strong.

And the indictments already enumerate internet behaviors that are unlikely to be disputed and are disgusting and directly related to the crimes. Having no record is not going to matter much to the jurors. (Nor will it necessarily be believed that he has no record, since it will just be something the defense says in a statement without proof. Rex's criminal record will only be factually discussed at sentencing.)

If it were not for Spota and his band of criminals, the GB4 part of this case would have been solved long ago- no DNA needed.

MOO

Investigators also say they found a “manifesto,” called the HK Planning document, on how to kill and avoid detection on a hard drive in the basement of Heuermann's home during the two-week search of the house after his arrest. But prosecutors didn't discover the document until March during a search using a computer forensic extraction method called file carving.

The discovery of the Microsoft Word document, created in 2000, was described by Tierney as another breakthrough in the case, which prompted a second search in April and May of Heuermann’s home and the woods in Manorville where remains of three of the victims were found.

“This is a manifesto that methodically outlines how to carry out the selection and murders,” Assistant District Attorney Nicholas Santomartino said at Heuermann's arraignment on the new charges last month.

The alleged “manifesto,” discovered when a laptop seized under a July 2023 search warrant for Heuermann's house was analyzed March 7, gave those same investigators the “blueprint” to understand just how Heuermann operated, the prosecutor added.

“We allege that this document [shows] the defendant’s intent of committing the charged crimes,” Tierney said. “His intent was specifically to locate these victims, to hunt them down, to bring them under his control and to kill them.”

Brown has declined to comment on the new charges or the alleged "manifesto."

The families of the victims also declined to comment through their attorney. Heuerman, who until his arrest had no criminal record, will be in court again on July 30

Investigators also say they found a “manifesto,” called the HK Planning document, on how to kill and avoid detection on a hard drive in the basement of Heuermann's home during the two-week search of the house after his arrest. But prosecutors didn't discover the document until March during a search using a computer forensic extraction method called file carving.

The discovery of the Microsoft Word document, created in 2000, was described by Tierney as another breakthrough in the case, which prompted a second search in April and May of Heuermann’s home and the woods in Manorville where remains of three of the victims were found.

“This is a manifesto that methodically outlines how to carry out the selection and murders,” Assistant District Attorney Nicholas Santomartino said at Heuermann's arraignment on the new charges last month.

The alleged “manifesto,” discovered when a laptop seized under a July 2023 search warrant for Heuermann's house was analyzed March 7, gave those same investigators the “blueprint” to understand just how Heuermann operated, the prosecutor added.

“We allege that this document [shows] the defendant’s intent of committing the charged crimes,” Tierney said. “His intent was specifically to locate these victims, to hunt them down, to bring them under his control and to kill them.”

Brown has declined to comment on the new charges or the alleged "manifesto."

The families of the victims also declined to comment through their attorney. Heuerman, who until his arrest had no criminal record, will be in court again on July 30
That document alone would be almost enough to convict him -- in my opinion.

So, the defense has to find some way to dilute or negate its effect. I hope the Taskforce can / has learned RH purchased the computer new, where it was used (if originally his office computer, great news, I would think). Does RH strike you as the type boss who kept his office door locked? His computer password complicated?

To my way of thinking, the DNA evidence in this case would not be the most compelling evidence because of the very newness of some of the technology. However, hairs from 3 people in the same household certainly would be the topper and is important. I don't personally see it as the "make or break" the case.

We are seeing so much evidence, this case appears a "slam-dunk". Let's hope it is that strong when the defense attorney gets his say.

That document alone would be almost enough to convict him -- in my opinion.

So, the defense has to find some way to dilute or negate its effect. I hope the Taskforce can / has learned RH purchased the computer new, where it was used (if originally his office computer, great news, I would think). Does RH strike you as the type boss who kept his office door locked? His computer password complicated?

To my way of thinking, the DNA evidence in this case would not be the most compelling evidence because of the very newness of some of the technology. However, hairs from 3 people in the same household certainly would be the topper and is important. I don't personally see it as the "make or break" the case.

We are seeing so much evidence, this case appears a "slam-dunk". Let's hope it is that strong when the defense attorney gets his say.

II. Understanding Circumstantial Evidence

"Before delving into the role of circumstantial evidence, it's important to differentiate it from direct evidence. Direct evidence establishes a fact without the need for any inference or presumption. For example, a witness testifying that they saw a defendant commit a crime is direct evidence. On the other hand, circumstantial evidence requires an inference to connect the evidence to a fact. For instance, a defendant's fingerprints found at a crime scene is circumstantial evidence, as it infers the defendant was present but does not directly prove they committed the crime.
Examples of circumstantial evidence are abundant in legal cases. They can include physical evidence like fingerprints or DNA, surveillance footage, records of phone calls or emails, and witness testimony about a defendant's behavior or statements. Each of these pieces of evidence can help paint a picture of the circumstances surrounding a crime, even if they don't directly link a defendant to the crime itself.
While circumstantial evidence may seem less powerful than direct evidence, it can often be more reliable. Direct evidence, such as eyewitness testimony, can be subject to human error or bias, while circumstantial evidence is often more objective and verifiable.

III. The Importance of Circumstantial Evidence

Circumstantial evidence plays a crucial role in establishing the context of a crime. It can provide a timeline of events, establish a motive, or show a pattern of behavior that supports the prosecution's case. For example, phone records showing a defendant's location near the crime scene at the time of the crime can help establish their presence, while emails or text messages can reveal a motive or intent.
Furthermore, circumstantial evidence can provide corroborative support to direct evidence. For instance, if a witness testifies that they saw a defendant commit a crime, circumstantial evidence like surveillance footage or fingerprints can corroborate their testimony, making it more credible.
Finally, circumstantial evidence can fill in gaps in direct evidence. In many cases, there may be no direct evidence linking a defendant to a crime, or the direct evidence may be unreliable or incomplete. In such cases, circumstantial evidence can provide the missing links, helping to build a strong case against the defendant.'

'IV. Circumstantial Evidence in Criminal Cases'

cont:

Mary Murphy interviews Suffolk County D.A. Ray Tierney
1 Year after the Long Island Serial Killer arrest​

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads