Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The case of #Peaches removed from #NamUs, National Missing & Unidentified Persons System, reported by
@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child:

“With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Sep 4, 2024 Crime Stories with Nancy Grace
''Rex Heuermann was initially arrested and charged in the deaths of the women known in the press as "The Gilgo Four": Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman, Amber Costello, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.A year later, Heuermann faces additional charges of second-degree murder in the killings of two more women, Jessica Taylor and Sandra Castillo, who were found in the same area as the Gilgo Four.After his arrest, investigators seized several electronic devices from Heuermann, including a laptop containing a secret Microsoft Word document titled "HK2002-04," which they describe as a "blueprint" for the architect's murders.Even more disturbing, investigators believe that the alleged serial killer Rex Heuermann may have kept his victims alive for several days to inflict pain and torture. They have used the family's calendars to determine when Heuermann was alone in the house while his wife and children were away, comparing those dates to when some of his alleged victims went missing.''

so many questions on his upbringing and how he got his start murdering...what was his youth like? any animals or neighborhood pets gone missing? he grew up there..wonder what his other classmates say..he nearly killed a girl backstage at a HS play... wondering what all went on in his teenager days..missing women etc. does anyone think he has been killing since HS? I do.

Ok, so, I am going to say I'm a little skeptical that Heuermann was killing so early or so frequently.

That said, by 1982 he was working at Jones Beach. This was two years after Richard Cottingham was arrested, and he faced trials in 1981 and 1982. He strangled several women and dismembered several more in New York and New Jersey through 1980. Cottingham couldn't have been responsible for the string of 1982 murders as he was in prison, but the fact that one of the victims was found in North Bergen, which was just a couple miles from his home, is very creepy. (EDIT: I misread, she was from there and found in Manhattan. Still a weird coincidence.). Also creepy: he left one of his victims wrapped in plastic at a bus stop at Jones Beach, though she was not officially connected to him until two years ago.

I've long suspected, due to the similarly of their crimes and the fact that several of Cottingham's victims were found in Long Island locations Heuermann would have been familiar with, that Cottingham may have been one of his inspirations - both the man himself and his Times Square and New Jersey murders, and the unknown Long Island serial murderer that turned out to be Cottingham, even though he was only officially linked to those crimes in 2022. Especially when you consider how Heuermann treated his earliest known victim, Sandra, compared to the torture Cottingham put his victims through. Cottingham's surviving victims spoke to the media and testified in court, so details would have been out there in the news during a pretty formative time for Heuermann, and he clearly was reading about and taking inspiration from other killers (I think he was a Rifkin fan, too, tbh).

If those murders had NOT been committed in 1982, I'd say they were Cottingham 100%. If all five were committed by the same person, I'd wager they were a copycat. They sound very much like his crimes.

I'm still skeptical they were Heuermann just because it seems like he would be too young and inexperienced for so many murders so close together, but I can't say I would be shocked to be proven wrong on that. If he's truly responsible for the crimes he's charged with, the dude is a grade A sociopath. I hope police are looking at those cases again and comparing any DNA evidence that still exists.

Last edited:
Curious Turnaround: #Peaches name is back on #NamUs, hours after the page was declared “no longer accessible.” Law enforcement source had no knowledge page was down.

The case of #Peaches removed from #NamUs, National Missing & Unidentified Persons System, reported by
@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child: “With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Both cases were modified in Namus on this day (9/5/24), as per the NAMUS website, which seems to have removed the content for a very short period of time.

@Catch_LISK
This suggests suspected 1997 #LISK victim is identified. Last week, my blog focused on legal discussions re: Peaches and her child: “With that much time invested by Nassau investigators in the Peaches probe, there is a level of negotiation and cooperation that will be involved in weaving the Peaches murder into the Suffolk County criminal case. But it seems these issues are being addressed now.”

Both cases were modified in Namus on this day (9/5/24), as per the NAMUS website, which seems to have removed the content for a very short period of time.
Great news to have resolution in that case. I presume they do, anyway...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back