CO Gina Chase, 53, failed to return to her campsite on a nature quest with 11 other hikers, San Miguel County backCounty near Norwood 15 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She was lucky after going in unprepared. It sounds like she might have planned this disappearance.
She certainly was lucky, I agree @OddOneOut. But I'm curious why it sounds to you like she may have planned this disappearance? An intriguing idea.

She was lucky after going in unprepared. It sounds like she might have planned this disappearance.
Statement from the Animas Institute:
"On Thursday August 15th, an adult participant was reported missing during an Animas Valley Institute program in Colorado. Following a rapid search by three program guides, local authorities were alerted and San Miguel County Search and Rescue were deployed. We have just been notified by the Sheriff's Office that she has been found alive and uninjured. We are overjoyed at this wonderful news," the statement read, in part. "The Animas Valley Institute has run backcountry programs in Colorado since 1980 with no serious incidents. The safety of our participants remains our highest priority. We have been in direct contact with the participant's family during this immensely difficult time and remain committed to supporting them over the coming days and weeks."

I wonder if this organisation promotes the use of any sort of medicinal plants on these quests. I’ve seen a few of these sort of ‘retreats’ pop up in my social media feed (I’m a bit woo woo so they probably think I’m their target market). Often the use of these substances is supervised, but the language of the description of the experience sounds very similar to some of the ones I’ve seen. JMO it would certainly make a dangerous experience even more risky, if people were in the wilderness and perhaps not thinking clearly.

I wonder if this organisation promotes the use of any sort of medicinal plants on these quests. I’ve seen a few of these sort of ‘retreats’ pop up in my social media feed (I’m a bit woo woo so they probably think I’m their target market). Often the use of these substances is supervised, but the language of the description of the experience sounds very similar to some of the ones I’ve seen. JMO it would certainly make a dangerous experience even more risky, if people were in the wilderness and perhaps not thinking clearly.
Their FAQ on website says no substances can be used. But I wonder if that’s strictly enforced?

Not a popular belief, I'm sure, but shouldn't some 'missing hikers' be financially responsible for search and rescue costs?

“Obviously this is the outcome we were all hoping for, and we couldn't be happier for Ms. Chase and her family," San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters said. "You should always bring technology for communications. Furthermore, you should not starve yourself even if a 'guide' service suggests the opposite of these basic safety rules. Nature does not care about your safety and will kill you if you are not properly prepared."

How about the organization who encourages their group participants to ignore basic common sense safety precautions?

She certainly was lucky, I agree @OddOneOut. But I'm curious why it sounds to you like she may have planned this disappearance? An intriguing idea.
I was thinking of the "quest" I've seen on tv in westerns where the brave goes out into the wilderness alone in order to have a "vision." Most recently, I saw this in an episode of Yellowstone. It could be that she decided to try it. In every mention I have seen, it has to be done alone. On Yellowstone, Kasey had to go without food and water for four days in order to experience his "vision." She was gone four days and didn't take food or water with her.

San Miguel County Sheriff - Colorado

*UPDATE ON MISSING WOMAN -- FOUND:
After four days alone in the backcountry, searchers located the missing woman, 53 year-old Gina Chase, today alive and uninjured in the targeted search area. Ms. Chase, of Victoria, Canada was evaluated by medics and is being debriefed by the Sheriff’s Office.

Read some of the comments at link - cough, cough, CULT!

Well, it is their business, but because of their poor preparedness, a lot of taxpayers' money and human×hours was spent on searching for the lost woman. I am very happy that she is found. But I'd see nothing wrong if the institute is charged for the money spent. They organized the trip.

This is a happy end but I do hope lessons are learned from this. We can also appreciate the idea to lesson the use of technology for spiritual camps. The mobile phone is not the problem it’s how you use it. Carry a phone with u on all activities, it can be switched off but charged and as been surgested in many of these walking disappearances the use of A satellite GPS device and a Personal locator beacon. Even in group walks I think to carry some form of technology is important as we have seen cases where people have gone missing in groups. Also basic supplies, food/water for a couple of days shud be advised. Great a happy ending but this quite easily could of ended up a whole lot worse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38
Back