Global internet outage - Disruption to airlines, banks, media and other businesses worldwide - July 19, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

TexLil

Reaction score
Tech disruptions across the world have hit airlines and businesses, which are scrambling to respond.

The FAA has grounded flights from several major US carriers, including Delta, United and American Airlines.

American Airlines and Delta ground ALL flights amid major tech outage American Airlines and Delta ground ALL flights amid major tech outage

I am glad someone has made this thread.
Here in Australia, it's affected a lot of things. Flights cancelled.

Supermarkets can't function. Most can't even open the tills. Other stores the same.

Lots of websites down, banking etc.
Radio and TV stations, either gone off air, or with limited resources.

One ABC radio station has asked any DJs to phone in, and they would play music from CD collections.

"The website DownDectector, which tracks user-reported internet outages, recorded growing outages in services at Visa, ADT security and Amazon, and airlines including American Airlines and Delta."

An internet outage affecting Microsoft is disrupting flights, banks, media outlets and companies across the world, with problems continuing hours after the technology company said it was gradually fixing an issue affecting access to Microsoft 365 apps and services.

“This is not a security incident or cyberattack,” CrowdStrike CEO George Kurtz said on the social platform X. “The issue has been identified, isolated and a fix has been deployed.”

Kurtz said there was a defect in a “single content update for Windows hosts.” Mac and Linux hosts were not affected.

CrowdStrike CEO George Kurtz said the company was working to fix problems created for Windows users of its tools by a recent update in a post on the social media platform X.

Metro said it opened on time even though its "website and internal systems have been impacted by a global IT outage," WMATA said. The agency is sharing updates on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Microsoft 365 posted on X that the company was “working on rerouting the impacted traffic to alternate systems to alleviate impact in a more expedient fashion” and that they were “observing a positive trend in service availability.”

The home affairs minister, Clare O’Neil, has just issued a statement about the outage. She says a fix has been issued but it may take a while – it’s understood every affected computer had to be rebooted.

"This is a technical issue, caused by a Crowdstrike update to its customers. They have issued a fix for this, allowing affected companies and organisations to reboot their systems without the problem."

"The problem affecting the majority of services was caused by a flawed update by CrowdStrike, an American cybersecurity firm, whose systems are designed to protect users from hackers. Microsoft said on Friday that it was aware of an issue affecting machines running 'CrowdStrike Falcon.'

But Microsoft had also said there was an earlier outage affecting Azure users, its cloud service system, in the United States. Some users may have been affected by both."

Just goes to show how our modern world would cease to function without the internet.

Some kind of old world backup might be a good idea.

I remember when the calendars were all about to flip to the year 2000, and the massive IT precautions and backups that had to be done in case the systems collapsed. Y2K it was called.

We put in tons of overtime hours at the place I was working, just to get ready. (Then nothing adverse happened. :D )

I remember when the calendars were all about to flip to the year 2000, and the massive IT precautions and backups that had to be done in case the systems collapsed. Y2K it was called.

We put in tons of overtime hours at the place I was working, just to get ready. (Then nothing adverse happened. :D )
Yep, I remember. Took 24-1/2 years for Y2K kick in.

A lot of people thought the Y2k thing was a hoax, when in fact it was very serious and could have led to what happened today, except for those dedicated IT people who worked round the clock to prevent the worst from happening.

They potentially saved peoples lives.

A Guardian article from 2019

Olympic torch relay goes on! Age-old, low-tech tradition for the win!

"Some Olympic delegations’ arrivals have been delayed because of the outage, as well as delivery of uniforms and accreditations, Paris Olympics organizers said in a statement.

It has not affected ticketing or the torch relay. 'Our teams have been fully mobilized to ensure the continuity of operations at optimum levels,' it said."

A lot of people thought the Y2k thing was a hoax, when in fact it was very serious and could have led to what happened today, except for those dedicated IT people who worked round the clock to prevent the worst from happening.

They potentially saved peoples lives.

A Guardian article from 2019

Yep, no hoax. No-one knew what would happen when the two digit (year) date system flipped to 00. Which is why we now have 4 digit (year) date systems.

Yep, no hoax. No-one knew what would happen when the two digit date system flipped to 00. Which is why we now have 4 digit date systems.
Yeah, I didn't think it was a hoax but also understand the global relief when major problems were averted. I edited corporate newsletters at the time and saw how seriously companies took the issue across industries.

jmo

I was 9 years old and didn't understand what was happening, except that all the grown ups were freaking out... and then a snow storm hit and the power went out right before the clock hit midnight and as far as I was concerned it was the end of the world lol.

Anyways I hope that this gets sorted quick, airports and hospitals are so vital, and already chaotic enough when everything is running smoothly

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back