Global internet outage - Disruption to airlines, banks, media and other businesses worldwide - July 19, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Come to think of it the turn it off and on has been around way before the internet.
I've used that method ages ago with appliances, sometimes it worked. :)

If it didn't work, I had two other methods.
One I call my "whack whack" method where I give the gadget a hard whack :)

The other is a good talking to "if you don't fix yourself by morning, you're going in the rubbish bin!"

I have had varying degrees of success with all three methods.

How embarrassing. An Aussie is President of Crowdstrike.
Maybe that is why we had so many outages.
snipped.

I think it was a timing thing. The outage began around 11 PM in NYC. By the time the U.S. woke up on Friday the fix was known and IT staff were already implementing it. In contrast the outage hit at 2 PM in Sydney and there wouldn't even be anything anyone could do all afternoon until CrowdStrike could figure out how to mitigate the problem.

Come to think of it the turn it off and on has been around way before the internet.
I've used that method ages ago with appliances, sometimes it worked. :)

If it didn't work, I had two other methods.
One I call my "whack whack" method where I give the gadget a hard whack :)

The other is a good talking to "if you don't fix yourself by morning, you're going in the rubbish bin!"

I have had varying degrees of success with all three methods.
A favorite method that men are known to use is the yelling and cussing.

That method is sometimes successful.

And that's how kids learned interesting vocabulary back then.

“This is global capitalism at work, and it’s a fundamental economic effect of the internet we’ve built,” said Bruce Schneier, a security technologist and fellow at Harvard University’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society. “We have a very brittle system where companies are rewarded for maximum profitability. And how do you do that? With monopolization, with having no inefficiencies, with running lean — and the thing about that is that it’s really great as long as it works. But when it fails, it fails badly.”

snipped.

I think it was a timing thing. The outage began around 11 PM in NYC. By the time the U.S. woke up on Friday the fix was known and IT staff were already implementing it. In contrast the outage hit at 2 PM in Sydney and there wouldn't even be anything anyone could do all afternoon until CrowdStrike could figure out how to mitigate the problem.
I disagree. My company had a major IT call at 5:30pm CST on Thursday as a lot of our applications were failing. About 2 hours in, it was determined that Microsoft Azure was having issues and it was all hands on deck trying to re-route things

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back